Home Open Account Help 344 users online

Passenger Trains > CVSR / Ohio .. Going green article.

Date: 10/29/14 05:26
CVSR / Ohio .. Going green article.
Author: RAILWATCH

Article from the Lorain Morning Journal.

___

Next year, the Cuyahoga Valley Scenic Railroad will start using its first “green” locomotive that will cut down fuel use and emissions for the passenger train that rides the rails in the 33,000-acre Cuyahoga Valley National Park.

The locomotive, known as CVSR Locomotive 365, is being retooled in Lorain and it is dedicated to the memory of Charles A. “Arnie” de la Porte, who lived in Grafton, and was a supporter of international trade and CVSR board member and chairman.

Complete story here : http://www.morningjournal.com/general-news/20141025/railroad-history-high-technology-join-in-lorain

- Denny, Lakewood, OH

Date: 10/29/14 06:19
Re: CVSR / Ohio .. Going green article.
Author: cforssi

Oh boy, that will make such a difference to the world. They are saving planet earth.

Date: 10/29/14 06:39
Author: MEKoch

Which means the Alcos will sit and NOT be used..........

Date: 10/29/14 07:52
Author: robj

For me the Green Part is people are viewing the park by train, taking their bikes to the trail head by train etc etc. rather than driving their cars.
Another plus is having a National Park you don't have to travel 2000 miles to get to.
It is National Park, so a good place.

As far as cynical, just close the park, no trains, no cars driving to the park, no problem.
Just think how environmentally positive it would be if people had no place to go and just spent their free time at home.
Maybe a hundred years or so that was the case for most people.

Bob

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/29/14 07:56 by robj.

Date: 10/29/14 08:46
Author: andersonb109

I won't ride Amtrak again until my tax dollars are used to do the same to their locos thus eliminating another threat to our planet. I've also canceled my flight to London on Saturday because the carbon emissions from a B767 are too high.

Date: 10/29/14 09:05
Author: P

andersonb109 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I won't ride Amtrak again until my tax dollars are
> used to do the same to their locos thus
> eliminating another threat to our planet. I've
> also canceled my flight to London on Saturday
> because the carbon emissions from a B767 are too
> high.

Lol!

Date: 10/29/14 12:47
Author: NDHolmes

MEKoch Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Which means the Alcos will sit and NOT be
> used..........

Actually it's C420 #365 that's being converted to a dual-engine setup - a small diesel for idling along or drifting and a bigger powerplant that kicks in for real loads. Forget the green marketing BS for a second and consider the potential fuel savings of such a setup. Sure it won't sound like a 251 any more, but if it pays for itself and puts money in their pocket (and gets that !@#$ black GP15 off the passenger trains), I'm all for it.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0393 seconds