Home Open Account Help 313 users online

Passenger Trains > Amtrak Joe - "I've made 8,000 round trips"

Date: 10/30/14 18:01
Amtrak Joe - "I've made 8,000 round trips"
Author: Lackawanna484

In a Washington Post video presentation, Vice President Joe Biden describes his trips on Amtrak. He estimates that he's made more than 8,000 round trips on Amtrak during his 36 years in the Senate, and during his VP stint.

He celebrates the hour and fifteen minutes which allowed him to read briefing books, prepare, read mail, and get ready for the day. In other speeches, he's mentioned that his briefing packages were legendary. Staff would load a briefcase, and hand it to him as he traveled from the Senate to a (sometimes) waiting train.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/posttv/politics/biden-clocks-his-amtrak-hours/2014/10/21/cd5d2a96-5952-11e4-9d6c-756a229d8b18_video.html

Date: 10/31/14 05:36
Re: Amtrak Joe - "I've made 8,000 round trips"
Author: ts1457

and how many LDT trips?

Date: 10/31/14 05:38

ts1457 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> and how many LDT trips?

The comment was taken from a public presentation. I'll have to see if there was a Q&A, and if anyone raised that question.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/31/14 05:57 by Lackawanna484.

Date: 10/31/14 05:51
Author: Jishnu

Just imagine how many AGR points he has amassed!

Date: 10/31/14 06:37
Author: JPB

Good thing for Amtrak there's no senatorial term limits! ;-)

Posted from iPhone

Date: 10/31/14 06:49

JPB Wrote:
> Good thing for Amtrak there's no senatorial term
> limits! ;-)
>
> Posted from iPhone

One of the campaign commercials here in NY criticizes somebody for supporting first class airfares for members of Congress. I wonder if Amtrak has a special fare for political leaders on their way to or from legislative business?

When I traveled back and forth to DC on a regular basis, I'd always see the bold print NY and NJ politicians on the train on Thursday afternoons, going home.

Date: 10/31/14 14:50
Author: andersonb109

Soon Joe will need a new job. How about Amtrak President? He certainly has the political experience and is somewhat knowledgeable about our passenger rail network. He also seems to have the personality for it. But with a Republican Congress and President, doubtful he would get the appointment.

Date: 10/31/14 17:52
Author: ffrailey

Republican Joe Boardman was appointed by the Amtrak board weeks after election of a Democratic president, House and Senate. Biden is personally liked by many GOPers in Congress. I have seen him in DC restaurants numerous times with Republican senators and cabinet members, before his election as VP in 2008. He would be a terrific Amtrak president because half the job is getting the attention of Congress and the other half if prying money out of it. Sign me up.

Fred

Posted from iPhone

Date: 11/01/14 06:34

ffrailey Wrote:
> Republican Joe Boardman was appointed by the
> Amtrak board weeks after election of a Democratic
> president, House and Senate. Biden is personally
> liked by many GOPers in Congress. I have seen him
> in DC restaurants numerous times with Republican
> senators and cabinet members, before his election
> as VP in 2008. He would be a terrific Amtrak
> president because half the job is getting the
> attention of Congress and the other half if prying
> money out of it. Sign me up.
>
> Fred
>
> Posted from iPhone

VP Biden also has a lot of credibility with organized labor, earned during his 36 years in the legislature.

If Amtrak is to survive, reaching an understanding with its employees will be critical to that result.

Whether he'd want the job is another question altogether...

Date: 11/01/14 07:05
Author: ts1457

I'm amazed that anyone thinks Vice President Joe Biden has the ability to run Amtrak.

I'd trust him more as President of the USA than as president of Amtrak.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0539 seconds