Home Open Account Help 310 users online

Passenger Trains > Metra hauling freight?

Date: 11/19/14 15:13
Metra hauling freight?
Author: chi_cowboy

On my way into work in Chicago Tuesday morning on the inbound CTA Blue Line around 9 a.m., I saw what appeared to be a Metra locomotive pulling some double-stacked container cars. This was more or less parallel to the Montrose CTA station. Are there some industrial clients whose spurs can only be reached from the old Northwestern line?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/19/14 18:32 by chi_cowboy.

Date: 11/19/14 20:26
Re: Metra hauling freight?
Author: kbmiflyer

There are a few freight customers still on the old CNW line. Normally, I have seen UP engines pulling these freights late at night. I have never seen a Metra locomotive pulling freight though.

Date: 11/19/14 21:42
Author: TipsyMcStagger

There is occasionally some hustle and bustle near Clybourn and up to the old Cragin connector.
Was the engine one of Metra's switchers or an F40?

Date: 11/19/14 22:14

I couldn't tell what kind of locomotive it was, only that it was painted in Metra blue with that red-and-white stripe pattern on the front. I don't think it was a switcher.

Date: 11/20/14 00:55
Author: PrairieRailfan

Metra has been moving older equipment from storage to be scrapped and you are seeing those moves. Metra has a couple switcher type engines with the specialized couplers needed for this.

Date: 11/20/14 05:57
Author: toledopatch

Is it possible that the locomotive you saw was a lease-fleet engine in colors similar to Metra's?

Date: 11/20/14 08:18
Author: inCHI

My guess is that you saw a blue CEFX AC4000 on a CP train leading doublestacks on the C&M sub. That's the only way doublestacks could be involved.

Date: 11/20/14 09:57

Yes, it's possible that the locomotive I saw was in a color that made me assume it was a Metra one. That would explain it. Thanks for the help!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0443 seconds