Home Open Account Help 189 users online

Passenger Trains > Capital Corridor--using Caltrain trainset?

Date: 11/22/14 13:22
Capital Corridor--using Caltrain trainset?
Author: coach

In previous years, the CC folks have always gone to the CALTRAIN folks and borrowed a set of commuter equipment to help with their holiday crush loads. I haven't seen anything posted this year about such a plan, so is CALTRAIN so busy now they can't do that, or will it still be happening? I've already checked the CC website and haven't seen anything at all, not even special notices about "certain trains not having cafe cars."

Thanks for any info.

Date: 11/22/14 13:33
Re: Capital Corridor--using Caltrain trainset?
Author: mundo

With the two low level sets in service for the San Joaquins, would not expect Capital to use Caltrain.

Date: 11/22/14 13:48
Author: 1200v

Speaking of San Joaquins, what train sets are the Comet cars running on now? For most of the year they were on 702/703 and 714/715. Last Saturday morning, while I was waiting for a Capital, train 712 came in, as shown, with a Comet set.

Date: 11/22/14 14:15
Author: ThumbsUp

There are currently two Comet sets running about on the following trains: 712/717 and 711/718

The Capitol Corridor did not borrow a train from Caltrain last year either, and that was with only one Comet set available for the San Joaquins.

Date: 11/22/14 20:30
Author: roadman3313

As mentioned, with the Comet Cars in service and cab car conversions completed the plan (as I have heard) is to utilize all the bi-level California/Surfliner (Nor-Cal ones) cars available. This will hopefully be accomplished through pulling all available cars from maintenance. Last year many Train sets were lengthened to at least 6 cars. I know they have also had 7 to 9 car trains in the rotations as well. San Joaquin trains were mostly lengthened to at least 6 cars. I assume the same will happen again this year.

Not sure if the change in contract operator of Caltrain from Amtrak to Transit America Services has anything to do with the non-utilization of a Caltrain set as well, however I assume the greater quantity of Bi-level cars available is the primary reason for the change.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0388 seconds