Home Open Account Help 292 users online

Passenger Trains > High Tide, Low Tide

Date: 11/23/14 20:23
High Tide, Low Tide
Author: walstib

Seacliff, at Milepost 385 between Carpinteria and Ventura on the UP Coast Line, is one of my favorite spots to shoot. Not only is is beautiful, but with a passing siding there, it's a great spot to catch a meet. It is the only passing siding between Santa Barbara and Ventura.

Adding to the excitement is the always-changing tide. Saturday morning the waves were crashing up on the rock wall and Sunday afternoon there was so much beach exposed that scores were out on the sand enjoying a great day.

In the first shot, Pacific Surfliner 1761, with Amtrak 184 on the point, cruises into Seacliff to wait for Surfliner 774, its southbound counterpart.

There are typically two or more Surfliner meets at Seacliff every day. Usually, the first train there advances to the far end of the siding to wait for the other. On Saturday, 1761 was there first, so it advanced to the north end, out of range for where I was flying.

In the second shot, taken Sunday afternoon, southbound Surfliner 784 was first in, so it moved to the south end, where I was able to capture it when northbound Surfliner 769 arrived.

Photo 1, high tide.
Photo 2, low tide.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/23/14 21:01 by walstib.

Date: 11/23/14 21:19
Re: High Tide, Low Tide
Author: Mudrock

Amtrak 184 was on the SD to LA to SD to LA cycle today Sunday.

Chris

Date: 11/23/14 23:17
Author: mp51w

You break new ground with your posts just about everyday! That meet shot is one of a kind.

Date: 11/24/14 10:05
Author: atsf121

Love the meet picture Brian, fantastic stuff. You are able to pull of shots that we could only dream of years ago. Also, very scenic location, we've played on the beach around there a few times on our trips to California.

Nathan

Date: 11/24/14 14:35
Author: 3rdswitch

An awesome pair, many are glad that you got your new contraption. Thanks for sharing.
JB

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.028 seconds