Home Open Account Help 290 users online

Passenger Trains > .

Date: 12/02/14 01:11
Author: F40PHR231

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/22/21 21:12 by F40PHR231.

Date: 12/02/14 02:36
Re: A clear Taraval day
Author: ClubCar

Nice photos, thanks for sharing them with all of us. Do they run any of the old PCC's over this route?

Date: 12/02/14 05:13
Author: MEKoch

Looks like an equipment move, with all those cars and pantagraphs.

Date: 12/02/14 05:14
Author: korotaj

F line has the old cars.

Date: 12/02/14 05:59
Author: Mgoldman

Great shots and we're quite envious of all the green in that California
late November catch!

/Mitch

Date: 12/02/14 07:33
Author: atsf121

MEKoch Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Looks like an equipment move, with all those cars
> and pantagraphs.

It's the end of the line loop at 47th Ave out by the zoo. You'll see the same line up to the north where the N-Judah return loop is. The trains line up here for an operator break before heading back in to downtown and the Embarcadero.

Nathan

Date: 12/02/14 07:37

ClubCar Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Nice photos, thanks for sharing them with all of
> us. Do they run any of the old PCC's over this
> route?

The single end PCC's can operate over all Muni routes, but think there used to be some kind of clearance issue on the N-Judah at one point. The PCCs only regularly operate on the F line along the Embarcadero and Market St. But they do take the N and then T lines or the J-Church line to the different car barns. They cannot operate in the Market subway like the LRVs. You can charter a PCC car to run on the other lines, I know the Market St. Railway group that helps with the PCCs does that from time to time.

Nathan

Date: 12/02/14 07:40

Great photos Chris, my friend lives along the L-Taraval line and takes it to work. I remember riding it out to the end of the line and walking across the street to the beach after work way back when. I had fun showing my kids the different LRV lines while we were there in April, but we didn't ride any of those lines, just the PCCs and Cable Cars which my kids loved. They did think it was pretty crazy that the LRVs just stop in the middle of the street. I'd be nervous getting my kids on and off there, seems a tad bit crazy. And nice catch without the fog, used to laugh that the Sunset district is so fogged in you couldn't see the sun go down.

Nathan

Date: 12/02/14 08:22
Author: ecweaver

Well they don't just stop "in the middle of the street"... there are platforms. Even were raised curb islands back in the old streetcar days.

The routes are over 100 years old, IIRC, and survived the Streetcar Conspiracy due to the tunnels or (for the J) the grade and narrow ROW.

Date: 12/02/14 12:16
Author: GRNDMND

Haven't been there in a few years, but we use to stop in at John's Cafe on Sloat for breakfast across from the Zoo and one block over from the loop track on the L-line. Great photos.

KC

Date: 12/02/14 15:49
Author: Lairport

On Light Rail Excursions in the 1980's, I Used to stay at The Roberts Motel at the end of the line.
It was clean and had reasonable rates. Does it still exist?

Date: 12/02/14 20:00
Author: DNRY122

I stayed at Roberts Motel once--the water pressure in the shower was rather unimpressive. My favorite place to bunk down when I drive to the City is the Mar/Ocean View Motel at the end of the "N" Line.

Regarding PCCs on the "L" Line--when Muni is testing cars just back from Brookville, they run on the K, L and M lines.

Date: 12/02/14 22:34
Author: DNRY122

And---regarding the photos, what kind of telephoto lens was used? Especially on the second shot, which really shows the "up hill and down dale" topography of the Sunset District. The "N" line has a similar profile--one of the things that streetcar fans liked to do back in the all-PCC days was stay up for the one of the late-night "N" runs with a certain motorman who was known for fast running. According to railfan scuttlebutt, the headway recorder system was turned off after midnight, so once he cleared 9th & Judah going outbound, he'd "put the hammer down" and just hit the high spots en route to the beach.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0593 seconds