Home Open Account Help 395 users online

Passenger Trains > Hoosier State Preview: KY Cardinal Inaugural 12-17-99

Date: 12/17/14 02:38
Hoosier State Preview: KY Cardinal Inaugural 12-17-99
Author: PC1974

15 years ago things were looking hopeful. New service to Janesville, WI (Lake Country Limited) and Louisville, KY (Kentucky Cardinal) augmented by mail and freight revenues. 15 years ago today was the startup of the Kentucky Cardinal. The startup of the Lake Country Limited followed the next summer. Both had short tenures in the Amtrak Timetable.

The bubble was first burst in 2001 on the Lake Country Limited and then in 2003 on the Kentucky Cardinal. They Kentucky Cardinal was on life support it's last year of operation. It required back to back loco's account no wye at Louisville. So here comes this 1 coach train with 2 P42's (sleeping service had been dropped). Wow! The last spring and summer there were many trips the toilets didn't work and no A/C. It's been reported they would leave the end doors open to let a breeze thru for cool air and odor relief. Timecrucher would be able to confirm or deny the condition of the train. The appearance was that Amtrak was running off the last of the patronage.

So when it was over, Indiana got a new train: The Hoosier State! CSX even renumbered it back to P317 and P318. This shows change really did happen. As for the equipment, it stayed the same. The schedule, it got slower. Late trains... Uh.. More frequent. The one thing that hasn't changed for folks in Indiana: Amtrak remains the service provider...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/17/14 02:40 by PC1974.

Date: 12/17/14 03:55
Re: Hoosier State Preview: KY Cardinal Inaugural 12-17-
Author: 1976

As a side note, the Hoosier State ran in 1980.

Date: 12/17/14 05:48
Author: EDog535

1976 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> As a side note, the Hoosier State ran in 1980.

1976, how about a trip report from 1980? How was the equipment, quality of the ride, extra services, crews, etc?

Date: 12/17/14 06:44
Author: march_hare

I understand the attempt to get UPS business out of Louisville, but a 13+ hour schedule to Chicago? If I'm doing the math right, that's 22 mph average. Forget the interstate competition, you can do better than that on county roads and side streets.

It'a shame--I had some hope that the long distance trains could get a significant revenue boost, but it was not to be.

Date: 12/17/14 07:50
Author: bluesboyst

I had hopes too...but it was not to be....An extension to Nashville and points south would have been nice...but maybe with the upgrade of L&I in the future then it could be a value.

Steve

Date: 12/17/14 08:03
Author: PC1974

1976 muddled the waters with reference to a different Hoosier State that ran back in 1980. It had a different route into Chicago which has been abandoned, it was more direct. That other train ran with higher track speeds along the entire route and therefore a shorter schedule. A typical consist was an F40, 3 coaches and a food service car. The food service car was staffed, but I don't know if donuts were on the menu. A picture of the KY Cardinal in June of 2003 depicts the end, I also included a copy of that "other" Hoosier State train schedule. Enjoy!

Date: 12/17/14 09:07
Author: ProfessorDavid

If you look at the schedule, especially with an early-morning departure from Indianapolis, it would have been unrealistic to expect the train to leave Louisville that morning to connect in Indy, even if you could do it in 1.5 hours. Coming back might have been different. At the time I think the hope was that if they could extend it to Nashville, then an overnight trip to Indianapolis might have been more attractive, although the Louisville stop would not have a good time.

I was part of a rail delegation that rode it from Louisville to a special stop in Scottsburg, busing back to Louisville.

Earlier this fall I was at Union Station, Louisville, and it has been keep in great shape. But the rails are gone now.

Date: 12/17/14 09:46
Author: GenePoon

I was on the inaugural Kentucky Cardinal in both directions, and was told
that because I had booked the (originally-intended) one sleeping car full
with my group, Amtrak added a second one. Then-NARP President Jack Martin
was supposed to join us but cancelled.

Of note, this was actually the Jeffersonville (Indiana) Cardinal. That
was as far as the train went, for months. A switch and new trackage were
necessary to get the train to Louisville Union Station, where Timecruncher's
office was located.

The southbound inaugural operated on a "non-Cardinal" day so its two sleepers
and Hi-Level Coaches ran by themselves.

We were delayed south of Chicago through the segment where the train
goes through Metra and NS trackage on the way to UP and CSX, behind a CSX
train with air problems, but it didn't matter. Rain drenched the area,
including the inaugural ceremony, but didn't dampen spirits.

A prearranged tour by Kentucky advocates included hot, boxed breakfasts;
a visit to Louisville Union Station; the Kentucky Railroad Museum,
including a midday excursion; and an evening reception in the Holiday
Inn at Jeffersonville before the train departed for Chicago.

Returning, there was a substantial wait for schedule in Indianapolis
Union Station, to a crisp, sunny morning arrival in Chicago.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/17/14 22:25 by GenePoon.

Date: 12/17/14 11:54
Author: cashfare

Can't believe it's been 15 years. I road the first northbound. Was my pleasure to meet Mr. Poon and several others. I also remember the test run to Nashville, Dad was lucky enough to ride it.

This would make a great medium range corridor...Nashville-Louisville-Indianapolis-Chicago. Sadly no one from Amtrak or the States cares. At least there is Megabus and Southwest Airlines...

Posted from Android

Date: 12/17/14 14:28
Author: Heath_Tower

My wife and I got to ride the Ky. Cardinal 3 days before it was cancelled, staying in Louisville for 2 days after riding
from Indy.

Since I was laid off at the time, we used this train as an added activity for an interesting but cheap trip to Louisville,
we went to the Louisville Slugger museum and other sites plus visited a few restaurants.

Our return trip via Greyhound took only 2 hours back to Indy...

Date: 12/17/14 21:19
Author: wa4umr

I miss that train. I made 4 or 5 round trips between Louisville and Chicago. I was working back then and couldn't take the time for too many trips. Had one trip I called the $7.00 trip. I caught a "Rail Sale" with $7.00 per person each way. My wife and I made the trip. When we got to Chicago we took a cab to the Navy Pier, $7 and some change. Walked around all day, took the wife to Michigan Ave to do some shopping. We got something to eat at the CheeseCake Factory before heading back to the station. That cost us $7 and some change each.

When I ride Amtrak these days I have a 2 hour drive to Cincinnati. Parking is better there than Indy plus if I'm gone for a week or more, my daughter lives a few miles from the station and picks up my car the next day and brings it back the evening before I return. The drive for me to the Louisville station was about 25 minutes and parking was free. I had hopes that it would be extended to Nashville and then to Atlanta or Birmingham, The long slow trip wasn't all that bad if you took advantage of the time of day. Board in the evening in Louisville, sleep in route, arrive in Chicago in the morning. Same thing on the return trip. The extension Nashville probably could have had an afternoon departure and a noon arrival.

John

Date: 12/18/14 06:56
Author: rockislander

Does anyone know if the "station track" has been retained at Louisville Union Station?
When service was continued beyond Jeffersonville to Louisville (Dec. 2001), it was necessary to build a station track as all of the old track work had long since been removed. With the help of two great contractors and some excellent engineering guidance, the turnout, track and bumping post was installed in short order and within a very tight budget.
There is something to be said for tight budgets, as it can often bring out the best in the stakeholders (In this case
Amtrak, Louisville public transit, track construction firm and an excavating firm.) I had $300,000 to spend. I spent $301K. If memory serves, CSX (and their NRPC officer) was a helpful partner as the pathway back towards the station required placement of the turnout and movement across the property line from the L&I to CSX. Louisville and Indiana was an excellent service partner. The service was started in 1999 in the "Go-Go" era of Amtrak Mail and Express. Shortly after the December 2001 service extension from Jeffersonville to Louisville we ran an inspection train from Louisville to Nashville. The CSX theater car was an excellent vantage point to appreciate the attractive scenery between Louisville and Nashville.

In closing, on the day service was extended from Jeffersonville 2 former L&N cars carried the markers of train 850.
I recall someone in the days leading up to the service extension asking why Amtrak office car Beech Grove was not requested, but I had no answer that they would have understood. Only someone who has been to Louisville Union Station, and stood next to the old L&N office building with the wonderful sign atop would have "got it."

The positive feelings engendered by the return of the passenger train to Louisville Union Station on that gray December 2001 day were real.

You could write a small book about the Kentucky Cardinal, for it would contain several lessons for passenger rail advocates.

Date: 12/18/14 07:38
Author: 1976

Yes, the LVL station track is still there and used by Amtrak for the Kentucky Derby train every year.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.079 seconds