Home Open Account Help 280 users online

Passenger Trains > La Posada Winslow

Date: 12/17/14 08:30
La Posada Winslow
Author: korotaj

I have stayed at this magnificent hotel several times and will be going back in mid Feb. Last time I was there was about 5 years ago. Any new RR related sights or whatever I should be aware of? Also, any info regarding rental cars will be appreciated. The Ford dealership apparently rents cars and might be a good choice. Thanks ahead for any info. We plan to visit Homolovi SP, Petrified Forest and the Meteor Crater which I have wanted to see for about 60 years, to help fill my geology bucket list.

Date: 12/17/14 08:36
Re: La Posada Winslow
Author: reindeerflame

As far as I am aware, the Ford dealership in Winslow is the only source of car rentals. Otherwise, Flagstaff is an option.

You may wish to visit Hubbell Trading Post National Historic Site in Ganado, which presents an old-style trading post on the Navajo reservation. Nearby Canyon de Chelly is also worth a visit.

Date: 12/17/14 08:40
Author: pecosvalleychief

If you're interested in pre-Interstate highway history at all there is much to see around the Winslow area. The ruins of Two Guns, Chevelon Creek bridge, the ruins of Painted Desert Trading Post, etc. PM me if you're interested in such things.

Date: 12/17/14 08:53
Author: GrandePete

I always looked for a cute girl in a flatbed Ford when I was in Winslow.

Date: 12/17/14 09:04
Author: MartyBernard

Well the flatbed Ford is there on the corner.

Marty Bernard

Date: 12/17/14 10:22
Author: zephyrus

I went through Winslow once in my Ford and a girl smiled at me.

Z

Date: 12/17/14 10:28
Author: px320

There has been some significant construction around the old station and station parking lot.

Platform access is through the hotel gate only.

Date: 12/17/14 11:07

Last time I was in Winslow there was a manikin in the Ford.....with my bad eyesight took me a while to realize she was not real! There was a lot of interesting RR equipment west of the hotel by an old warehouse that apparently was going to be turned into some sort of museum. I will have to research that.

Date: 12/17/14 11:22

Looks like the old brick warehouse is the chamber of commerce and vistor center, acording to Google map.

Date: 12/17/14 14:13
Author: cutboy2

Are there still some formerly classy passenger cars east of the depot? Thanks

Date: 12/18/14 05:29
Author: Winks

I agree with Canyon de Chelly. Especially if you like geology. Only a 2 1/2 hour ride from Winslow.

Date: 12/18/14 06:27
Author: CA_Sou_MA_Agent

Meteor Crater and the bridge over Canyon Diablo are also nearby.

The road to the former is much better than the road to the latter.

Date: 12/19/14 07:31
Author: mapboy

Be sure to check the Homolovi SP website to make sure that they are open. They were closed last May. It's a hard life for the Hopis, their town of Second Mesa (1 hour off I-40) has the Hopi Cultural Museum. Take a Hopi-led tour of extensive petroglyphs and ancient Hopi pueblos including Walpi, the oldest continuously inhabited village in North America. You can make a loop east to Hubbell Trading Post National Historic Site, then south to the Transcon at Chambers. You can head west thru Holbrook (Apache Ry.) back to Winslow.

mapboy

Date: 12/19/14 10:47
Author: ABB

About 10 years ago I rented in Winslow from Dollar Rental Car. They picked me up at the LaPosada and let me drop the car off there at the end of my trip.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0472 seconds