Home Open Account Help 374 users online

Passenger Trains > Maglev Discussion

Date: 12/19/14 12:58
Maglev Discussion
Author: Amtrak562

Just wondering if there are other applications that Maglev might have potential for. Obviously its much much more expensive than HSR & personally I favor HSR over Maglev. But is there any feasibility for Maglev to used as a Transit Alternative to Light-Rail? Costs would be the 1st & foremost issue, but what about other aspects such as operation? Wouldn't be able to run at 200mph, but maybe twice as fast a current light-rail & it would be completely grade separated.

Discussion time...annnd GO!!!

Date: 12/19/14 18:41
Re: Maglev Discussion
Author: atsf121

I could see Maglev as a connector between the airports in New York and Manhattan, but that's about it. Don't think there's really a lot of return on investment for anything that has frequent stops like a subway or light rail, and definitely not streetcar type service. I think it will always be a novelty because of the cost, though it is pretty cool.

Nathan

Date: 12/19/14 21:22
Author: Mgoldman

I believe Maglev was deemed the best (and most viable) system to
build in mountains of Colorado. Because the Maglev can climb
much steeper grades, it might interestingly, be the cheapest
mode of "rail" transit.

Maglev touted as transit solution for I-70 corridor
http://summitcountyvoice.com/2010/05/04/maglev-touted-as-transit-solution-for-i-70-corridor/

As for other uses, there was this:

Officials see magnetic levitation technology as a clean, high-speed
way to move goods inland, ease traffic congestion and reduce pollution.

http://articles.latimes.com/2006/nov/28/local/me-maglev28

'Course, here in the US - we prefer to follow the world when it comes to
passenger rail. Don't want it unless it's been proven over the span of
a few decades. Boy, would Amtrak love to get their hands on some of the
trains in various European and Asian museums.

/Mitch

Date: 12/19/14 23:52
Author: DNRY122

One problem I see with Maglev is: It's good for point-to-point operation, but diverging routes would be even harder to accommodate than they are with so-called monorails. And the idea of using it for short-haul service--I don't care how fast it can go, in order to load passengers or change direction, it has to be going ZERO mph. When the BART system was opened, much was made about a top speed of 70 or 80 mph, but as I recall, the section going through San Francisco probably doesn't go much faster than 50 or 60 tops.

Date: 12/20/14 09:01
Author: TrainRidingGal

Was on the Pittsburgh Bay Point line from SFO two days ago. Plenty of spots that the console number was holding at 67 including under the bay and between SSF and Colma stations.

Date: 12/20/14 14:29
Author: DNRY122

I wonder what the BART maximum between (for example) Powell and Montgomery is....

Date: 12/20/14 22:32
Author: 567Chant

I have wondered about the total energy consumption of a maglev system.
I have made brief attempts to obtain info in the past, but my efforts were fruitless.
...Lorenzo

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1438 seconds