Home Open Account Help 334 users online

Passenger Trains > Metrolink Trouble today on AV Line

Date: 01/19/15 18:03
Metrolink Trouble today on AV Line
Author: webmaster

This afternoon at about 3pm Mason and I were out in about on errands when we saw two Metrolink trains stopped out in the distance at Canyon, which is the siding just west of the Santa Clarita station. Train 220 was stopped just past the signal. We drove up to the other end of the siding by Stock Lumber and then a few minutes later it arrived at a very slow speed. No headlights, no bell, no horn, and the conductor was in the cab car cab. The train crawled past us and we saw that one of the windows on the second car was opened. If you look closely you will see it in the video. As the train passed us we saw what looked to be the engineer in the locomotive cab wearing an orange vest.

The train continued on for a few minutes to Newhall Station where it terminated. Don't know what was up, but looked like a bad day. If I was to take a guess the train had some mechanical problems with the cab car and then one of the Antelope Valley model citizens tried to escape.

I caught this video with my iphone and I wasn't watching the screen as the train passed. I have no idea who the kid was with the tripod as he was already there and setup with his dad when we arrived.

Todd Clark
Canyon Country, CA
Trainorders.com

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 01/19/15 20:24
Re: Metrolink Trouble today on AV Line
Author: northridgeswitcher

Todd: Great video.

As you noted there are no lights on the cab-car when you first start shooting. Just a few feet before the train reaches the other photographer and the train looks like it is coming to a stop the red marker lights go on for a few seconds then off.

Also the conductor or whoever is in the cab-car waves at the other photographer as the train goes past them through the open window.

Take care.

Northridge Switcher

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/19/15 20:26 by northridgeswitcher.

Date: 01/19/15 23:15
Author: MartyBernard

For an iphone it looks really good.

Marty Bernard

Date: 01/19/15 23:41
Author: Fizzboy7

Don't know if it has anything to do with it, but there's quite an explosion of fluid sprayed on the second car just after the doors. Enough to continue on to the third car.

Date: 01/20/15 08:42
Author: ntharalson

Interesting video, Todd, thanks for posting. It would be equally interesting
to find out what was going on with this train. I believe the stop was to allow
the grade crossing to clear and the gates to lower. But no headlights?? Maybe
the conductor didn't know how to turn them on. Still, an interesting occurrence
one would like to get more information on.

Nick Tharalson,
Marion, IA

Date: 01/20/15 12:34
Author: thetuck

Maybe an HEP failure and dead battery on cab car? Headlight failure, movement must stop at public crossing unless gates are down or no traffic approaching.

Date: 01/20/15 13:04
Author: bluesboyst

Wish I could be wearing shorts here in Boston MA.......

Date: 01/20/15 14:53
Author: Phantom_of_Cajon

thetuck Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Maybe an HEP failure and dead battery on cab car?
> Headlight failure, movement must stop at public
> crossing unless gates are down or no traffic
> approaching.

Not in an inflammatory way, most likely the the Cab Car's battery was not dead. The bell on the Cab Car is activated through an electro-pneumatic switch for air driven bell. Also, in the case of moving through the crossing with no headlights and no horn . . . A crew member would then have to precede the movement through the crossing . . . On the ground.

Date: 01/20/15 15:01
Author: thetuck

Phantom_of_Cajon Wrote:
> Also, in the case of
> moving through the crossing with no headlights and
> no horn . . . A crew member would then have to
> precede the movement through the crossing . . . On
> the ground.

UNLESS... gates are lowered or no traffic is approaching.

Date: 01/20/15 16:09

> UNLESS... gates are lowered or no traffic is
> approaching.

If there is "traffic" stopped at the gates, that is considered traffic "approaching." ;)

I will stand corrected on that and split the hairs because approaching traffic is only for cross bucks or something like wig wags Or just flashing lights. The key is the word "or" . . . Been awhile . . . However . . .

5.8.2 Sounding Whistle

Other forms of communications may be used in place of whistle signals, except signals (1), (7),
and (8). See following chart.
The required whistle signals are illustrated by “o” for short sounds and “—” for longer sounds:

(7) — — o — When approaching public crossings at grade with the engine in front,
sound signal as follows:
D. If movement starts less than 1/4 mile from a crossing, signal may
be sounded less than 15 seconds before the crossing when it is
clearly seen traffic is not approaching the crossing, traffic is not
stopped at the crossing or when crossing gates are fully lowered.
Prolong or repeat signal until the engine completely occupies the
crossing(s).

(Side note, the cab car is recognized as a locomotive under the CFR)

If the train crew notified the dispatcher of a headlight failure, no sweat. But we did not have any lights (momentary markers) on the cab car, no horn and we had marker lights and dim headlights on the locomotive.

Date: 01/20/15 18:24
Author: webmaster

The train stopped short of the crossing that was protected by gates. You can get down to the nitty gritty, but considering this was an Antelope Valley train and one window had already been opened I think the safest action was to get this train to the nearest station and dump off the passengers. This train only has two crew members so it isn't exactly feasible for the conductor to get off the train and watch the train cross the crossing. Gates were down and the train crawled through pretty slow.

Todd Clark
Canyon Country, CA
Trainorders.com

Date: 01/20/15 21:41
Author: ProAmtrak

That's worse compared to the one I was one back in December on my way to catch No. 4 where we were delayed a good 15 minutes because the cops were looking for someone!

Date: 01/20/15 22:14
Author: coach

I didn't see an open window...??

Date: 01/21/15 07:29
Author: trainjunkie

coach Wrote:
> I didn't see an open window...??

Second coach (No. 228), second lower window.

Date: 01/21/15 13:39
Author: whistlepig

I think it's a simple matter of whoever was in the cabcar engineer seat did not know where the headlight switch was. Looks like the "shoving rule" is no longer in effect

Date: 01/21/15 18:08

webmaster Wrote:
> The train stopped short of the crossing that was
> protected by gates. You can get down to the nitty
> gritty, but considering this was an Antelope
> Valley train and one window had already been
> opened I think the safest action was to get this
> train to the nearest station and dump off the
> passengers. This train only has two crew members
> so it isn't exactly feasible for the conductor to
> get off the train and watch the train cross the
> crossing. Gates were down and the train crawled
> through pretty slow.

Guess you could get down to the "nitty gritty" on Chatsworth as well . . . Rules were written in someone's blood . . . It goes to training and a respect to follow the rules . . . Not the "nitty gritty!"

Date: 01/21/15 22:42
Author: jst3751

trainjunkie Wrote:
> coach Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I didn't see an open window...??
>
> Second coach (No. 228), second lower window.

Sorry, that is NOT an open window. Look at that same window in the next 2 cars and they are the same.

Date: 01/22/15 06:21
Author: trainjunkie

jst3751 Wrote:
> Sorry, that is NOT an open window. Look at that
> same window in the next 2 cars and they are the
> same.

They are not the same. I watched the video frame-by-frame and the windows in the next two cars are clearly intact and show moving reflections of the scenery as the cars pass. The "window" on 228 shows no reflections, only the interior of the car. It's difficult to see if you just play the video but if you watch it in slo-mo or frame-by-frame, the absence of glass in the 228 car becomes very apparent. Here's screen caps of the next two cars. You can see reflections, unlike the window in 228.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/22/15 06:22 by trainjunkie.

Date: 01/22/15 07:36
Author: whistlepig

The GCOR, TTSI, and all the other little books all the railroads come up with are there for your own protection. If you try to take shortcuts you are bound to hang yourself if not committing suicide. I have worked with people that looked upon all the rules as just a way "they" can fire you. I was constantly taking flak for following the rules to the letter. I'll take life over an early quit any day. Something was most assuredly awry in that video. I always figured if the company was paying me to perform a task a certain way, that's how I did it.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0613 seconds