Home Open Account Help 377 users online

Passenger Trains > The Night Train To San Luis Obispo

Date: 01/26/15 13:59
The Night Train To San Luis Obispo
Author: walstib

Lucky Seven, the night train to San Luis Obispo, blasts through Gaviota on Saturday night.

Date: 01/26/15 14:09
Re: The Night Train To San Luis Obispo
Author: jcaestecker

A vote for IOTD!

Just gorgeous.

-John

Date: 01/26/15 14:12
Author: Arkeytek

You can even see Santa Rosa and possibly San Miguel. Wonder how many non-west coast residents will know what the bright light is on the horizon....

Date: 01/26/15 14:39
Author: atsf121

Outstanding photo Brian, wow that is such a well done photo. I'm voting for IOTD as well.

Nathan

Date: 01/26/15 14:42
Author: atsf121

Arkeytek Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> You can even see Santa Rosa and possibly San
> Miguel. Wonder how many non-west coast residents
> will know what the bright light is on the
> horizon....

You mean you won't tell them? I remember looking for the oil platforms every time we drove down the coast when I was growing up (wasn't that often), and I was always excited to spot those and then the oil pumps on shore as well. The funny thing is I always spotted those (and the islands most of the time), but never knew there were dolphins in the area. So after I starting dating my wife and we drove the coast she told me there were dolphins and I said "no way". Sure enough, we spotted some while driving on 101. Now we try to show the kids whenever we drive through there - and show them the islands, the oil platforms, and oh yeah, the trains.

Nathan

Date: 01/26/15 14:55
Author: walstib

Thanks guys, glad you like the shot. I've been on a night photo kick as of late.

I have a friend who came to visit a year ago and she thought the oil rigs look like a grand piano with the lid open. She's right, and now I can't look at them without thinking piano.

Date: 01/26/15 15:07
Author: Arkeytek

Nathan:

The 101 between Los Angeles and San Luis Obispo; could almost drive it blindfolded. First, was at Cal Poly SLO from September 1974 to September 1979. in 1980, Mom and Dad moved to Cayucos so trips up and back continued often. Did a post office in Nipomo so traveled to meetings every other week between 2001 and 2002. Then had a project in Santa Barbara that had me at weekly meetings between January 2009 until August 2010. Mom's health deteriorated so almost every other weekend to Avila Beach until her death last July. But was again traveling to UCSB for weekly meetings that started in August of 2013; these will continue until January 2016.

Will be driving up to UCSB tomorrow for weekly meeting #67 rain or shine. It's that I rarely see any trains. Once in a while the first Surfliner south one the way up (usually at Surfside while in stop-and-go traffic) and sometimes the Stairlight when I come home.

But I keep looking out for walstib's drone.....

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/26/15 15:09 by Arkeytek.

Date: 01/26/15 16:32
Author: mp51w

Probably, one of the most unusual train photos I have seen. Most people wouldn't even know that was a train. You definitely stretch the boundaries!

Date: 01/26/15 16:47
Author: railwaybaron

Looks like a launch at Vandenberg to me!

Date: 01/26/15 17:21
Author: Winnemucca

Much further north up here off the coast (north of Eureka) that light would invariably mean a fishing boat hard at work.

John Webb
Trinidad, CA

Date: 01/26/15 18:19
Author: PHall

railwaybaron Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Looks like a launch at Vandenberg to me!

Only if Vandenberg has relocated to Santa Cruz Island!

Date: 01/27/15 09:21
Author: spnudge

My grandfather used to tell a story about an old business associate from Chicago who came out to visit at the ranch in Goleta. The main house was up on a hill so you looked down on the airport and the ocean. Well this guy packed away the scotch every night starting about 2 in the afternoon. He had been there for 3 days and when he got up on the fourth day, he looked out the front window and the islands showed up, clear as a bell. He went to my grandfather and asked him where that land came from. He was told they were islands and had been there forever. He shook his head, packed up his grip and went back to Chicago that afternoon, sober as a judge. He never touched another drop the rest of his life.

I met this person at my grandparents 50th Anniversary, many years later and he was still a tea toddler.

Nudge

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0544 seconds