Home Open Account Help 201 users online

Passenger Trains > Car Struck by Caltrain in Menlo Park, CA

Date: 02/23/15 18:45
Car Struck by Caltrain in Menlo Park, CA
Author: chakk

Local news stations are reporting that the female driver of a car that stopped on the tracks at the Ravenswood Ave grade crossing in Menlo Park around 4:45 PM and she was looking down at the front seat and did not react to the southbound train approaching at track speed. The train subsequently struck the automobile -- the auto driver died at a local hospital. An infant car seat was found in the back seat; firefighters are searching the wreckage for signs of a baby. Caltrains are now single-tracking around the accident site while the cleanup continues.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/23/15 19:14 by chakk.

Date: 02/23/15 19:59
Re: Car Struck by Caltrain in Menlo Park, CA
Author: walstib

Wow. I hope the baby was safe somewhere else.

Ravenswood Avenue is near where I used to live. One day I was on my way home from the dentist and I was stopped at the Ravenswood Avenue crossing for a mid-afternoon train when some poor soul decided to jump in front of the train. The death occurred south of the crossing, but the train came to a stop at the crossing.

In fact, Ravenswood Avenue was the site of the first train vs. pedestrian strike that I remember. I was about 5-years-old and the nice cashier lady from the market that used to be right there was hit. I don't know if it was an accident or suicide, but I know I never saw her again after that. I can still vividly picture her at the checkout stand, with her jet-black hair and blue smock.

It's funny the things one remembers whenever one of these incidents occur. Things you never forget, I guess.

Condolences to everyone associated with today's Ravenswood Avenue incident.

Date: 02/23/15 20:49
Author: Out_Of_Service

what the hell are these people smoking that they just don't respect the weight or is it wait ???

Posted from Android

Date: 02/23/15 21:44
Author: ecweaver

I was standing around SF station for an hour and a half, staring at 12 platforms and zero trains. Finally a couple northbounds came in, unloaded and then boarded and we headed south on "Extra JPBX-914".

When we crossed Ravenswood, it looked like the whole gate mechanism on the EB side was totally taken out, and Caltrain folks and Transit PD (San Mateo Co. Sheriff) were flagging the crossing. That may be going on for a while.

Sorry for the driver (and possible passenger), but jeez never stop on the tracks!

Date: 02/23/15 21:49
Author: walstib

There's a pretty good picture of the wreckage on the Almanac's Web site.

http://www.almanacnews.com/news/2015/02/23/woman-dies-after-train-strikes-car-in-menlo-park

Posted from iPhone

Date: 02/23/15 23:22
Author: F40PHR231

Another fatal incident, this time in one of the tunnels due south of downtown San Francisco.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0459 seconds