Home Open Account Help 349 users online

Passenger Trains > NY JFK to NY Laguardia by Airtrain and LIRR?

Date: 03/02/15 19:42
NY JFK to NY Laguardia by Airtrain and LIRR?
Author: tq-07fan

My flight from Halifax to NY not only changed times but also changed Airports. I now have three hours to make the connection from JFK to Laguardia to continue on home. In looking at the bus map and looking at Long Island Railroad it looks like I can make the connection in just over an hour by taking the Airtrain from JFK to Jamaica then taking the LIRR to Woodside then taking the Q70 LTD bus to LGA. How practical is this approach? I would have a carry on bag and a roller case. I do not wish to ride the subway and definitely don't want to take a taxi or one of those stupid airport shuttles with those ugly cutaway buses that suck. Those things are for idiots and losers. I should mention I am a bus fan so I am looking forward to the Q70 LTD, which will be real bus.

Queens Bus Map http://web.mta.info/nyct/maps/busqns.pdf

Long Island Rail Road trip planner, not sure if it will work here. http://tripplanner.mta.info/mytrip/ui_web/customplanner/results.aspx

Jim

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/02/15 19:43 by tq-07fan.

Date: 03/02/15 20:04
Re: NY JFK to NY Laguardia by Airtrain and LIRR?
Author: R30A

Certainly possible. Depending on time of day, if there is no good LIRR Woodside train from Jamaica, the E never runs worse than every 20 minutes even in the dead of night.

Date: 03/02/15 21:08
Author: korotaj

I have not done what you propose but have gone from JFK to Manhattan and back twice when I had time between flights. Using the LIRR worked surprisingly well. One trip involved seeing a Woody Allen movie and the other was simply for a good pizza! I have also used the Astoria (N) line from Manhattan with a stop for breakfast at a Greek bakery then bus to LaGuardia. That also was easy. My advice: know exactly where you are going and how buy tickets and pay fares; keep a close eye on time. Lastly, allow time for airport security check. My limited experience at LaGardia has always been a long wait.

Date: 03/02/15 22:37
Author: chs7-321

Wait, since when is the subway for "idiots and losers"?? O-o

Date: 03/02/15 23:33
Author: Out_Of_Service

tq-07fan wrote:

> I do not wish to ride the subway and definitely > don't want to take a taxi or one of those
> stupid airport shuttles with those ugly cutaway > buses that suck. Those things are for idiots
> and losers. I should mention I am a bus fan so > I am looking forward to the Q70 LTD, which will > be real bus.
>
> Queens Bus Map
> http://web.mta.info/nyct/maps/busqns.pdf
>
> Long Island Rail Road trip planner, not sure if > it will work here.
http://tripplanner.mta.info/mytrip/ui_web/custom> pl
> anner/results.aspx
>
> Jim

my favorite form of transportation besides trains is those airport shuttles with the cutaway buses

Posted from Android

Date: 03/03/15 06:11
Author: njmidland

My method is to take the AirTrain to Jamaica, LIRR to Woodside, then a Port Washington bound train to Flushing - Main Street, then a taxi to LGA. This takes between an hour to 1 1/2 hours. If the Mets are playing or there is a tennis event then I get off at Willets Point and get a taxi there (LIRR only stops at Willets Point on Mets/tennis game days).

Tim

Date: 03/03/15 09:44
Author: Amtrak-P42

Or take a $22 taxi ride...

Date: 03/03/15 09:59
Author: pdt

http://www.nycairporter.com/OurServices/LaGuardiatoJFKShuttle.aspx

The method u mention could take 2+ hours, depending on connex waits. And the city bus from woodside will shake the fillings out of your teeth.

Date: 03/03/15 11:07
Author: symph1

If you bought a ticket without an airport change, and the airline forced you to this new connection, the airline should pay for the shuttle. Are they transferring your luggage?

Date: 03/03/15 18:25
Author: railwaybaron

Amtrak-P42 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Or take a $22 taxi ride...

Youwanatakechances in the middle of your trip? I thought Canadians were smarter than us. Take a taxi, and if Robert DeNiro is driving
ask him to take you to Cybil Shepard's flat.

Date: 03/03/15 20:35
Author: tq-07fan

chs7-321 Wrote:
> Wait, since when is the subway for "idiots and
> losers"?? O-o

No not the subway, I was referring to those weird type cutaway buses that aren't even rural transit bus service worthy. If I had to take the subway I could but after riding over two hundred transit systems I kind of like being able to throw people off by saying that I have not rode the New York City Subway.

railwaybaron Wrote:
> Amtrak-P42 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Or take a $22 taxi ride...
>
> Youwanatakechances in the middle of your trip? I
> thought Canadians were smarter than us. Take a
> taxi, and if Robert DeNiro is driving
> ask him to take you to Cybil Shepard's flat.

Actually I'm from Ohio, not Canadian (at least not yet but it is a possible retirement option).

korotaj Wrote:
> I have not done what you propose but have gone
> from JFK to Manhattan and back twice when I had
> time between flights. Using the LIRR worked
> surprisingly well. One trip involved seeing a
> Woody Allen movie and the other was simply for a
> good pizza! I have also used the Astoria (N) line
> from Manhattan with a stop for breakfast at a
> Greek bakery then bus to LaGuardia. That also was
> easy. My advice: know exactly where you are
> going and how buy tickets and pay fares; keep a
> close eye on time. Lastly, allow time for airport
> security check. My limited experience at LaGardia
> has always been a long wait.

Time is my main concern as well, especially since unless they do US Customs in Halifax before the flight I will have to go through Customs as well
as the security check at LGA. As much as I'd like to add Long Island Railroad to my list of things ridden it may not be possible on this one.

symph1 Wrote:
> If you bought a ticket without an airport change,
> and the airline forced you to this new connection,
> the airline should pay for the shuttle. Are they
> transferring your luggage?

I was wondering if they pay for the transfer too. I did have to ride the Chicago L from O'Hare to Midway once but that was in between two tickets for Sperry. The people in the office saw my name and realized that I would have no problem figuring that one out. My trip is not until October so plenty of time to find out. If they are paying I guess I'll ride one of them weird cutaways. Maybe I can put on plenty of bulky clothing concealing my face and talk real low and make up a fake ID so no one will recognize me when I'm on the cutaway. That should work at the airport, right? :-)

That you all for some of the thoughts.

Jim

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0624 seconds