Home Open Account Help 323 users online

Passenger Trains > Glenn Steele

Date: 03/03/15 09:45
Glenn Steele
Author: ButteStBrakeman

I just received word that Glenn Steele, the engineer involved in the Oxnard incident, has passed away from injuries sustained in the derailment. My thoughts and prayers to his family.

Rest in Peace, Sir.

Virlon

SLOCONDR

Date: 03/03/15 09:56
Re: Glenn Steele
Author: Jaanfo

Life isn't fair. I really don't know what else to say, Glenn was an awesome person and coworker who will be missed tremendously. This is not how anybody should have to end their career.

Date: 03/03/15 10:04
Author: Cumbresfan

On national Fox News at top of the hour. RIP Glenn.

"Train engineer dies of injuries suffered in Metrolink crash with truck"
http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-20150303-story.html#navtype=outfit

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/03/15 10:43 by Cumbresfan.

Date: 03/03/15 10:10
Author: HotWater

Damn!!!!

Hopefully the stupid truck driver will now be charged with murder? Closure will be tuff for the family of Mr. Steele.

Date: 03/03/15 10:12
Author: trainjunkie

Really sad news. I'm lost for words. RIP Engineer Steele

Date: 03/03/15 10:54
Author: ddkid

RIP, Mr. Steele.

I can't help but wonder, though, if crew members in this type of accident would fare better if they were provided with seat belts. The integrity of the cab in this accident was not severely compromised, but the engineer received mortal injuries. There have been pictures of other accidents posted here on TO in which the cab didn't look bad, but the crew members were severely injured or died.

We've already crossed this bridge in the automotive world. Much effort in car safety has gone toward minimizing the severity of the "second collision" between the occupants and the car interior. Would that help on the railroads too?

Date: 03/03/15 11:13
Author: HotWater

ddkid Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> RIP, Mr. Steele.
>
> I can't help but wonder, though, if crew members
> in this type of accident would fare better if they
> were provided with seat belts. The integrity of
> the cab in this accident was not severely
> compromised, but the engineer received mortal
> injuries. There have been pictures of other
> accidents posted here on TO in which the cab
> didn't look bad, but the crew members were
> severely injured or died.
>
> We've already crossed this bridge in the
> automotive world. Much effort in car safety has
> gone toward minimizing the severity of the "second
> collision" between the occupants and the car
> interior. Would that help on the railroads too?

Since Mr. Steele was not at the controls (his Student Engineer was reportedly seated at the controls), is it possible that wherever he was, THAT lead to much more severe injuries?

Date: 03/03/15 11:20
Author: P

HotWater Wrote:
> Damn!!!!
>
> Hopefully the stupid truck driver will now be
> charged with murder? Closure will be tuff for the
> family of Mr. Steele.

It's hard to believe no charges have been filed yet as he left the scene of an accident - although I suppose he wasn't with the vehicle when the crash occurred. The article says that charges could be filed, but not until after an investigation. Even if the engineer had not died, I would think charges would be in order for what he did. Being 'confused' does not absolve one of their behavior - or does it? - and this was a very serious incident.

Does not qualify for murder, but hopefully the prosecutor can find some serious charge that can apply here. His behavior was just asinine.

Even though the train was only traveling at 56mph, that is still plenty fast enough to require some improvements to these crossing that these passenger trains cross several times a day. You can't prevent everything, but this incident sure seems to indicate that some changes should be made.

RIP Engineer Steele...

Date: 03/03/15 12:18
Author: mundo

Jaanfo, said it well. Life is not fair.

Glen was a happy, outgoing person who made friends with everyone, including the passengers.

Ed Von Nordeck

Date: 03/03/15 15:37
Author: spinelinemp65

Jaanfo, said it well. Life is not fair.

Glen without a doubt was one of the best passenger engineers I had the pleasure of working with. Changes are needed, be it the cabcar, the crossing, commercial drivers and other issues in this incident. The one thing I am sure of is that we lost Glen and it should not have happened. RIP my friend.

Bruce Selby

Date: 03/03/15 16:46
Author: andrewamtrak

This was news i was hoping to not see.

Posted from Android

Date: 03/03/15 17:42
Author: CPCoyote

Very sad news. It tears me up to see someone just doing their job lose their life because of someone else's inattention or stupidity.
Don't look for any murder charges to be filed against the trucker. Intent would be almost impossible to prove. But he should at least be charged with leaving the scene and manslaughter or vehicular homicide.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 03/03/15 20:12
Author: CA_Sou_MA_Agent

Geez! When will this end?

It seems like there's a dark cloud hovering over the Amtrak Western Division. About fourteen months ago we lost prior-right ex-ATSF engineer David Ballejos when he was killed in a car accident on his way home from working a yard job in LA. A few weeks ago we lost Albuquerque Road Foreman Phil Nerkowski when he drowned in a SCUBA diving mishap off Catalina Island. There's also been the recent passing of retired manager Jack Wilson, a man who knew the intricacies of PACIFIC SURFLINER operation like no one else.

And now Glenn Steele.

So very, very sad.

Here's a picture of Glenn holding his grandchild. His son Shawn is heavily involved in car racing, and his car is shown behind Glenn. Tragically, I learned today that Glenn has another grandchild about to be born who will now never have a chance to meet his/her Grandpa.

Like several others here on Trainorders, I had the pleasure of working with Glenn on numerous occasions over the years at Amtrak and Metrolink. He was a great guy to both work with and have as a personal friend. If he knew you were in a fix, he would give you the shirt off his back. A few years ago Glenn went way beyond the extra mile to help out a co-worker who was having some financial / legal troubles.

He always seemed to have a smile and was quick witted to the point where the rest of us always seemed to have smiles.

Life is, indeed, unfair.

Rest in Peace, my friend.

Date: 03/03/15 22:31
Author: Jaanfo

CA_Sou_MA_Agent Wrote:
> Geez! When will this end?
>
> It seems like there's a dark cloud hovering over
> the Amtrak Western Division. About fourteen
> months ago we lost prior-right ex-ATSF engineer
> David Ballejos when he was killed in a car
> accident on his way home from working a yard job
> in LA. A few weeks ago we lost Albuquerque Road
> Foreman Phil Nerkowski when he drowned in a SCUBA
> diving mishap off Catalina Island. There's also
> been the recent passing of retired manager Jack
> Wilson, a man who knew the intricacies of PACIFIC
> SURFLINER operation like no one else.

Also Eddie Carr (Retired Conductor), Aaron Astrup (LSA in LA), and Steve Cebellos (Conductor in Sacramento) have all passed away from various causes since the beginning of the year.

2015 will be a year we all want to forget.

Date: 03/04/15 08:53
Author: Out_Of_Service

Jaanfo Wrote:
> CA_Sou_MA_Agent Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Geez! When will this end?
> >
> > It seems like there's a dark cloud hovering
> over
> > the Amtrak Western Division. About fourteen
> > months ago we lost prior-right ex-ATSF engineer
> > David Ballejos when he was killed in a car
> > accident on his way home from working a yard
> job
> > in LA. A few weeks ago we lost Albuquerque
> Road
> > Foreman Phil Nerkowski when he drowned in a
> SCUBA
> > diving mishap off Catalina Island. There's
> also
> > been the recent passing of retired manager Jack
> > Wilson, a man who knew the intricacies of
> PACIFIC
> > SURFLINER operation like no one else.
>
> Also Eddie Carr (Retired Conductor), Aaron Astrup
> (LSA in LA), and Steve Cebellos (Conductor in
> Sacramento) have all passed away from various
> causes since the beginning of the year.
>
> 2015 will be a year we all want to forget.

and the first quarter isn't even over yet ...

Posted from Android

Date: 03/04/15 12:03
Author: CA_Sou_MA_Agent

Jaanfo Wrote:
> Also Eddie Carr (Retired Conductor), Aaron Astrup
> (LSA in LA), and Steve Cebellos (Conductor in
> Sacramento) have all passed away from various
> causes since the beginning of the year.
>

You're right. In my haste to compose something last night I overlooked them.

Date: 03/04/15 12:24
Author: jst3751

Jaanfo Wrote:
>

Actually no, we do not want to forget.

While each individual accident/tragedy is sad and hurts both directly and indirectly, (and we wish did not happen,) as a whole if we forget and do not learn by it, then we have failed ourselves and those that come after us.

There are many people that are acting as jury to convict, judge to sentence and officer to enforce punishment out of pure emotion and allowing that to exhibit itself as hatred to the easiest target.

Sure, it a perfect world we would not need an accident or tragedy to teach us something, but unfortunately we do not live in a perfect world. Each and every one of us sins and has made mistakes, some bigger than others and some smaller than others.

But it is how we respond, react and learn that shapes us as mankind.

Lets focus on going forward. What can we learn from this. How can we help those now suffering the ultimate loss.

I do not work in the rail industry. I rarely ride trains. But I am a member of the human race. I am a rail fan and I am involved in small way in the preservation of rail history. I hope that my small pittance of a contribution to the Glenn Steele fund can in some small way help his family in this time of need. I hope that those empowered to do so will take seriously the findings and recommendations of the investigation into this tragedy so that Glenn Steele and all the others will not be forgotten and will not have died in vain.

My heart thoughts and prayers go out to his family and all those affected by the tragedy.

Date: 03/04/15 15:36
Author: Geep

May he rest in peace. God bless him and all railroaders doing their job right. Mr. Steele, a good man, helped passengers after the collision... Hero.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0716 seconds