Home Open Account Help 321 users online

Passenger Trains > Amtrak Funding in Jeopardy

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

Date: 03/03/15 12:48
Amtrak Funding in Jeopardy
Author: erielackawanna

Just received the following as a NARP member.

"A late-filed amendment by Rep. Tom McClintock (R-CA) would eliminate all funding for Amtrak. If this amendment becomes law, it will mean the end of trains in America. No more long-distance trains, no more state services, no more Northeast Corridor."

Date: 03/03/15 12:56
Re: Amtrak Funding in Jeopardy
Author: P

I really don't understand why politicians continue to file such things. It's hard to believe he, or anyone, really thinks that we should not spend any money on intercity rail options for the American people.

Date: 03/03/15 13:18
Author: cchan006

McClintock represents the 4th District in California, which covers the Sierra from Truckee to Sequoia National Forest to the south. Roseville is also included in his district, by the way. Otherwise, his district has no passenger rail, and no major cities.

I wonder what motivated him to propose this amendment now. Is he anti-Capitol Corridor expansion? Maybe Union Pacific is lobbying at him to eliminate all Amtrak trains on Donner? I'm not buying the fiscal responsibility card, since it's overused, and so is every other congressman in his party (yawn).

I dare the amendment to pass, actually, and see what happens. In the meantime, NARP and other pro-rail organizations can play offense instead of defense and look up any pet projects McClintock is supporting and attempt to sabotage their funding.

Date: 03/03/15 13:37
Author: scraphauler

Any link available to said late-filed amendment? I've searched Amtrak/McClintock in various locations and only recent thing that comes up is that he is one of 26 cosponsors of HR 674 - Pets on Trains Act of 2015 Directs the National Railroad Passenger Corporation (Amtrak) to propose a pet policy that allows passengers to transport domesticated cats or dogs on certain Amtrak trains. Requires Amtrak to collect a fee for each cat or dog transported by a ticketed passenger to cover administrative costs. Declares that the proposed policy shall be separate from and in addition to the policy governing Amtrak passengers traveling with service animals.

Is HR 674 not gaining any support and he's going the nuclear option of if Fido can't ride, nobody can?

Date: 03/03/15 13:47
Author: erielackawanna

This is the only link I am aware of (it's to write to your congressman).

http://cqrcengage.com/narp/app/make-a-call?0&engagementId=81528

Date: 03/03/15 13:54

scraphauler Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Any link available to said late-filed amendment?
> I've searched Amtrak/McClintock in various
> locations and only recent thing that comes up is
> that he is one of 26 cosponsors of HR 674 - Pets
> on Trains Act of 2015 Directs the National
> Railroad Passenger Corporation (Amtrak) to propose
> a pet policy that allows passengers to transport
> domesticated cats or dogs on certain Amtrak
> trains. Requires Amtrak to collect a fee for each
> cat or dog transported by a ticketed passenger to
> cover administrative costs. Declares that the
> proposed policy shall be separate from and in
> addition to the policy governing Amtrak passengers
> traveling with service animals.
>
> Is HR 674 not gaining any support and he's going
> the nuclear option of if Fido can't ride, nobody
> can?

I like that theory, and if it's true, it just shows how immature your average Congressman really is. My disdain for politics (and political ambition as a mental disorder) is justified. :-)

Jeff Denham is a neighbor in the 10th District with Modesto being the biggest city in his district. He's the author of the "Pets on Amtrak" bill isn't it?

Date: 03/03/15 14:08
Author: Margaret_SP_fan

This nasty and stupid amendment is attached
to HR 749. Please call your Congressional
rep ASAP and tell hum or her to vote AGAINST HR 749!

(I agree with cchan006 -- I have little or no
respect for most professional liars/politicians.
Most of them are VERY stupid and immature,
and should not hold any position with any
responsibility at all. And should be completely
ignored.)

Date: 03/03/15 14:31
Author: mundo

Please us the NARP link above to voice to your REP, regardless of district-state.

No money for Amtrak means no dogs too! Course the Dogs are on the hill!

Date: 03/03/15 15:03
Author: reindeerflame

Mr. McClintock, who represents a number of Sacramento suburbs as well as rural counties, is just acting according to his personal beliefs, and it is unlikely that he is being influenced by outside groups or interests. His district likes "making a statement" by electing him, much more so than accomplishing anything. For example, Mr. McClintock doesn't live in the district he represents, as his home is in Elk Grove in an adjoining district, but his voters largely didn't care, because they're voting for the man. He also is known for being consistent in his positions over the years and does not make political deals or compromises. That doesn't mean that he makes sense, just that he is unyielding. His "pet project" is limiting the federal government to the role it had in 1791.

He probably doesn't care much about the Capitol Corridor, but also likely believes that it could be sustained without Amtrak, as a local operation, with no need for a federal role. And, BTW, the NEC isn't going anywhere. Nor likely is McClintock's proposal.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/03/15 15:07 by reindeerflame.

Date: 03/03/15 15:18

reindeerflame Wrote:
> He probably doesn't care much about the Capitol
> Corridor, but also likely believes that it could
> be sustained without Amtrak, as a local operation,
> with no need for a federal role. And, BTW, the
> NEC isn't going anywhere. Nor likely is
> McClintock's proposal.

Thanks for your response. Your characterization of him as "unyielding" is insightful.

I believe the 4th District hosts at least two National Parks, and of course the California side of Lake Tahoe. I believe his district gets plenty of revenues from hotel taxes. Maybe the hospitality industry can become unyielding, too, and lobby to reduce or eliminate those taxes to be consistent with McClintock's ideals to limit government's role.

Date: 03/03/15 15:20
Author: Amfleeter

On another note, one of the actually decent suggestions (for a one stop express Acela) actually came from Mica. With a few modifications, an Express Acela Express, maybe stopping only at Washington, Philadelphia, NY, NH and Boston might be a good idea.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/03/15 16:26 by Amfleeter.

Date: 03/03/15 15:48
Author: ColdRainAndSnow

So let's see...

Gosar (R) --- Prohibits the use of federal funds to provide alcohol free of charge on a route operated by Amtrak.

Gosar (R) --- Prohibits the use of federal funds to provide food or beverages free of charge to Amtrak employees on the Auto Train or long-distance sleeper cars.

Gosar (R) --- Prohibits the use of federal funds to cover operating losses from food and beverage service after 1 year from enactment.

Posey (R) --- Places a $600 Million cap on loans made through the Railroad Rehabilitation & Improvement Financing (RRIF) program.

McClintock (R) --- The amendment eliminates all Federal assistance for Amtrak.

Hmm, if I could just place my finger on what the common denominator is in all of this nonsense...

Date: 03/03/15 16:45
Author: zephyrus

reindeerflame Wrote:
> Mr. McClintock, who represents a number of
> Sacramento suburbs as well as rural counties, is
> just acting according to his personal beliefs, and
> it is unlikely that he is being influenced by
> outside groups or interests. His district likes
> "making a statement" by electing him, much more so
> than accomplishing anything. For example, Mr.
> McClintock doesn't live in the district he
> represents, as his home is in Elk Grove in an
> adjoining district, but his voters largely didn't
> care, because they're voting for the man.

You have a slight contradiction there, but it well illustrates much of the how and why of politics.

He is being influenced, or at least encouraged, by the fact that his district keeps electing him. If he did not feel validated, he would not take these positions.

Politicians (usually) do not operate in a vacuum. They reflect the wishes / encouragement / desires of their chosen core of supporters. If those supporters (and note, supporters does not necessarily mean constituents) want them to be unyielding and dogmatic, then they are. If the supporters demand compromise, then the pol is more conciliatory. There are exceptions, but that is how it works most often.

The way money and support works in our elections encourages this state of affairs, regardless of ideology. And most politicians I have met, at least on a state or higher level, are actually extremely intelligent people. They are just reinforced and validated to express a set of opinions / beliefs and will often hold to that, or risk the wrath of their supporters, even if it seems illogical or harmful.

Z

Date: 03/03/15 16:55
Author: hazegray

Amfleeter Wrote:
> On another note, one of the actually decent suggestions (for a one stop express Acela)
> actually came from Mica. With a few modifications, an Express Acela Express, maybe stopping
> only at Washington, Philadelphia, NY, NH and Boston might be a good idea.

An Express Metroliner ran non-stop WAS-NYP and back in 1996-97; it never achieved critical mass by being able to get as many passengers as the regular Metroliner that left 15 minutes later( as I recall it only got about 100 passengers, while the regular stops Metroliner carried 250-300).
It was discontinued after about a year.

The same thing was tried with with Acela (an Express Acela Express) about 5-7 years ago, with the same result: tried/failed/discontinued. What makes you think this "might be a good idea" now?

Date: 03/03/15 17:32
Author: Amfleeter

hazegray Wrote:
> Amfleeter Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > On another note, one of the actually decent
> suggestions (for a one stop express Acela)
> > actually came from Mica. With a few
> modifications, an Express Acela Express, maybe
> stopping
> > only at Washington, Philadelphia, NY, NH and
> Boston might be a good idea.
>
> An Express Metroliner ran non-stop WAS-NYP and
> back in 1996-97; it never achieved critical mass
> by being able to get as many passengers as the
> regular Metroliner that left 15 minutes later( as
> I recall it only got about 100 passengers, while
> the regular stops Metroliner carried 250-300).
> It was discontinued after about a year.
>
> The same thing was tried with with Acela (an
> Express Acela Express) about 5-7 years ago, with
> the same result: tried/failed/discontinued. What
> makes you think this "might be a good idea" now?

Hm, I didn't know. Without context, it sounded like it'd have a decent market. Thanks for informing me!

Date: 03/03/15 17:57
Author: PHall

Mr Mc Clintock is very, very, very conservative. He's a TEA Party associate and has always been against public funding for Amtrak.
When he was a member of the California Legislature he always voted against state support to Amtrak California and CalTrain.
So this little last minute, maybe no one will notice, amendment is nothing new. Just his usual MO.

Date: 03/03/15 18:31
Author: korotaj

That he does really live in his district is says it all!

Date: 03/03/15 18:35
Author: korotaj

Left out the "not"! But this guy makes my blood boil......so little respect for law.

Date: 03/03/15 19:06
Author: scraphauler

Margaret_SP_fan Wrote:
> This nasty and stupid amendment is attached
> to HR 749. Please call your Congressional
> rep ASAP and tell hum or her to vote AGAINST HR
> 749!

As of 10 PM EST, 3/3/15, the amendment is still not posted on Congress.gov https://www.congress.gov/bill/114th-congress/house-bill/749/all-actions-with-amendments

HR 749 is the Rep Schuster introduced "bipartisan" Passenger Rail Reform and Investment Act of 2015. Does this amendment effectively poison the bill or can the amendment specifically be removed. If this amendment has burrowed in lick a tic and can not be removed from HR 749, we best hope bill dies on floor and never makes it out of house. But then what?

Date: 03/03/15 19:07
Author: RuleG

I called my Congressman to vote against this measure. Anyone who cares about Amtrak should call or e-mail their Congressional representative to oppose the amendment.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/03/15 19:09 by RuleG.

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.078 seconds