Home Open Account Help 409 users online

Passenger Trains > Cincy to Chicago

Date: 03/03/15 13:04
Cincy to Chicago
Author: P

I was informed I will be headed to Chicago next week from Cincinnati for a work event. I will be meeting about 25 others from around Ohio & western PA but I will be the only one traveling from Cincy. The others mostly will carpool and drive to Chicago - as I have done in the past, but since I am the only one from SW Ohio, I will be making the trip alone. I REALLY do not want to drive into downtown Chicago for a host of reasons, and was hoping to make an Amtrak trip work. Being a part time service from Cincy, of course, Amtrak is not an option. Could drive to Indy & then take the Hoosier State, but that seems silly and the boarding time is unfriendly for such a trip.

Megabus offers service, so I am going to try it out and see how it goes. I'm sure it will be fine, but I'd rather be on a train - even if it took longer. I plan on bringing a computer to work and play and was wondering about power outlets. 1st of all, does Amtrak always offer this in coach? My recollection is that it is hit or miss in Amtrak coaches. I hate to ask, but does Megabus have outlet access at every seat? I know, I could ask them, but figured I could weave this question into this post...

Date: 03/03/15 13:48
Re: Cincy to Chicago
Author: GenePoon

All regularly assigned Megabuses have power outlets at each seat.

Their wi-fi is free but doesn't always work. About on a par with Amtrak's.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/03/15 13:49 by GenePoon.

Date: 03/03/15 15:05
Author: wa4umr

I made a comment yesterday on http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?4,3678723 The three day a week train is a bigger problem than the 0:dark-thirty times in Cincinnati. I sure wish they would make it a daily. Even if it does run on the right day for your trip, sometimes the return trip is an off day.

John

Date: 03/03/15 15:12
Author: wabash2800

Why don't you drive up there and ride the South Shore into town? The Millennium Station is downtown. When you come up the steps from the station you are right downtown. There are many arrivals and departures and it's a first class act. You will also see other railroads from the train. You car should be safe at a South Shore Station.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/03/15 15:51 by wabash2800.

Date: 03/04/15 03:56
Author: tq-07fan

You should have no issues with Megabus it is a great way to travel. I will probably never ride the Cardinal to Chicago again for ten or more grueling hours when I can get there in five or so on Megabus. The only problem would be where to leave your automobile as there is no parking at the Gest Street (Downtownish) or UC Megabus locations here in Cincinnati. Metro route 42x from West Chester won't get you down to the 6:45 am departure in time. Depending on where you are at you could get a ride to the last 42x of the morning and find something to do for an hour or two then ride or walk to the Gest Street location for Megabus and get the 11:35 am departure. Coming back there is an arrival at Cincinnati at 3:50 pm which puts you in good shape for coming back on the 42x. Megabus does make a meal stop in Indiana on the way to Chicago so you would have better food options then the Amtrak Hoosier State. Megabus is comfortable enough that I went to Atlanta and back overnight and slept on the bus both ways. Take Megabus and you'll realize how much the Cardinal sucks.

Metro Rt 42 schedule
http://www.go-metro.com/uploads/routes/RT42X.pdf

The idea wabash 2800 suggested on using South Shore is also a good one.

Edit: forgot to caption pictures
1) Megabus at UC Sept 5th 2014
2) Megabus in Indiana at the meal stop Sept 5th 2012
3) Megabus to Atlanta at Gest Street passenger pickup Jan 28 2015

If you need more info on Metro PM me. Not only am I a bus foamer but I am also a driver.

Jim

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/04/15 04:00 by tq-07fan.

Date: 03/04/15 07:16
Author: bluesboyst

tq-07fan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> You should have no issues with Megabus it is a
> great way to travel. I will probably never ride
> the Cardinal to Chicago again for ten or more
> grueling hours when I can get there in five or so
> on Megabus. The only problem would be where to
> leave your automobile as there is no parking at
> the Gest Street (Downtownish) or UC Megabus
> locations here in Cincinnati. Metro route 42x from
> West Chester won't get you down to the 6:45 am
> departure in time. Depending on where you are at
> you could get a ride to the last 42x of the
> morning and find something to do for an hour or
> two then ride or walk to the Gest Street location
> for Megabus and get the 11:35 am departure. Coming
> back there is an arrival at Cincinnati at 3:50 pm
> which puts you in good shape for coming back on
> the 42x. Megabus does make a meal stop in Indiana
> on the way to Chicago so you would have better
> food options then the Amtrak Hoosier State.
> Megabus is comfortable enough that I went to
> Atlanta and back overnight and slept on the bus
> both ways. Take Megabus and you'll realize how
> much the Cardinal sucks.
>
> Metro Rt 42 schedule
> http://www.go-metro.com/uploads/routes/RT42X.pdf
>
> The idea wabash 2800 suggested on using South
> Shore is also a good one.
>
> Edit: forgot to caption pictures
> 1) Megabus at UC Sept 5th 2014
> 2) Megabus in Indiana at the meal stop Sept 5th
> 2012
> 3) Megabus to Atlanta at Gest Street passenger
> pickup Jan 28 2015
>
> If you need more info on Metro PM me. Not only am
> I a bus foamer but I am also a driver.
>
> Jim

Jim you are killing me.......

Date: 03/04/15 07:43
Author: P

Is that the truck stop at New Point, IN - just east of Greensburg in Picture 2?

Thanks for the responses. Good info.

To me, a train ride is an adventure and wouldn't mind a longer trip, but 10 hours through the wee hours can be a bit rough. With Amtrak's part time schedule through Cincinnati, it isn't even an option. I've arranged a ride to downtown, but a Metro ride is an option as well, although with the crappy weather we have been having, I might stick with the ride and the shelter it will provide while waiting on the bus.

Date: 03/04/15 17:58
Author: scraphauler

P Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Is that the truck stop at New Point, IN - just
> east of Greensburg in Picture 2?
>
> Thanks for the responses. Good info.
>
>

No, next truck stop west - Loves at St Paul exit west of Greensburg. McDonalds, Subway, convenience store. Rail related, if you are on drivers side on way west, you can see the railyard for Honda off to the south just past the US 421 interchange.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0633 seconds