Home Open Account Help 248 users online

Passenger Trains > Second Ski Train (March 15) Sells Out In 4 Hours

Date: 03/03/15 14:20
Second Ski Train (March 15) Sells Out In 4 Hours
Author: FrontRangeTrains

http://www.denverpost.com/business/ci_27631595/2nd-ski-train-stirs-hope-denver-winter-park

Well, if this doesn't show that the demand is there, I'm not sure what will. Kind of a shame it took this long for Amtrak to realize that the demand has been there this entire time since the original Ski Train discontinued several years back. Hopefully this means it comes back permanent next season!

John Crisanti
Longmont, CO

Date: 03/03/15 14:26
Re: Second Ski Train (March 15) Sells Out In 4 Hours
Author: mundo

You can thank the new long distance train management.

Date: 03/03/15 14:45
Author: GenePoon

That's if you even think it was Amtrak's idea.

From the article:

> The Colorado Rail Passenger Association last fall began lobbying
> Amtrak to restore weekly ski season train service between Denver and
> the city's Grand County ski area. The group and (Winter Park Resort's
> president Gary DeFrange) convinced Amtrak executives last December to
> ride their California Zephyr train from Denver to the ski area. But
> passengers returned via bus on Interstate 70.

Date: 03/03/15 17:31
Author: symph1

I ski WP all the time, so I certainly agree with the need for this. But -- playing devil's advocate -- does it make sense to tie up a lot of equipment for use only on Saturday and Sunday?

Date: 03/03/15 18:28
Author: korotaj

If Denver had real passenger service, like a European city of it's size, there would be hundreds of arrivals and depatures each day and equipment availability on weekends would not be an issue. But this is America.

Date: 03/03/15 18:33
Author: stash

Yes. America bad!

korotaj Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If Denver had real passenger service, like a
> European city of it's size, there would be
> hundreds of arrivals and depatures each day and
> equipment availability on weekends would not be an
> issue. But this is America.

Date: 03/03/15 18:43
Author: sactobob

symph1 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I ski WP all the time, so I certainly agree with
> the need for this. But -- playing devil's advocate
> -- does it make sense to tie up a lot of equipment
> for use only on Saturday and Sunday?

This may not be a big issue since the ski trains operate in the slow season for most of the country, and train consists elsewhere are at reduced levels. Those otherwise idle cars could be temporarily assigned to ski train service.

Date: 03/03/15 18:54
Author: highgreengraphics

Simply need to lease another set of cars that are not a part of the daily Amtrak fleet; Mr. Ellis, start painting! But too bad Colorado Railcar nearby in Fort Lupton is not still in business, some of that equipment designed for Alaska Railroad service would have been primo! === === = === JLH

Date: 03/04/15 10:17
Author: RioGrandeFan

From what was posted a couple days ago regarding the consist for this train, it isn't going to be that large. Only 3 regular coaches and 3 coach baggage. Certainly Amtrak can spare 6 coach cars. What sucks for the passengers is no lounge, aside from the view, at minimum for some food/beverage service. That was one of the great things about the old train.

As for using the Colorado Railcar passenger cars, I'm not 100% sure, but I seem to remember something about those cars not being able go over the Moffat Line because they were too tall at 19' 1". Now, it may have been possible for Colorado Railcar to build a shorter height car but I guess we will never know. Large windows like that would be perfection for that train considering the scenery.

When Iowa Pacific was going to do this train, there were at least 2 full length vista domes planned. I actually had purchased a ticket to ride in one for the first trip. Too bad it never happened.

Lee Ryan - Rio Grande Fan
Denver, CO

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.046 seconds