Home Open Account Help 325 users online

Passenger Trains > Silver Star Sleepers Blocked Beginning July 1

Date: 03/27/15 05:31
Silver Star Sleepers Blocked Beginning July 1
Author: prr60

For reservations on July 1 and onward, Amtrak is showing the sleepers for the Silver Star (#91 & 92) as "none left."  That is over seven months of sleeper reservations blocked.  During that period the only conventional sleeper service being offered to and from Florida is on the Silver Meteor.  There is wide availability on the Meteor during that period, so the Star is not actually sold out.  It's being blocked.  Lots of speculation as to why, ranging from computer issues to they are taking the sleepers off The Star.  It's been this way for several days.  Any idea what Amtrak is doing?

Date: 03/27/15 08:24
Re: Silver Star Sleepers Blocked Beginning July 1
Author: Lackawanna484

Perhaps they're making the Star a shorter haul train, and turning it at Savannah, Sanford, etc?

Date: 03/27/15 08:55
Author: KansasCityChief

Sounds like some group travel

Posted from Android

Date: 03/27/15 09:06
Author: Chessie1963

Lackawanna484 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Perhaps they're making the Star a shorter haul
> train, and turning it at Savannah, Sanford, etc?

You can book a coach seat all the way to Miami, so that is not it.

Date: 03/27/15 09:21
Author: andersonb109

I'm sure Julie would have the answer!

Date: 03/27/15 09:42

Maybe the Meteor will be an all sleeper train and the Star all coach?

Just dreaming of possibilities...

Date: 03/27/15 10:41
Author: DavidP

Chessie1963 Wrote:
> Maybe the Meteor will be an all sleeper train and
> the Star all coach?
>
> Just dreaming of possibilities...

More likely would be making the Star an all-coach/lounge-only train aimed at local and budget travel, while expanding the Meteor as the primary Northeast - Florida train.  The most obvious downside is loss of sleeper service to Tampa if current routings are kept.  Otherwise the Meteor's faster route makes it a better choice for Northeast to Florida travel.  If in fact the Star is losing it's sleepers, perhaps a better option would be to make the Meteor the train that serves Tampa, rather than the Star.  Or even better, split the train at JAX with one leg using the FEC to Miami and the other going to Orlando and Tampa, just as the ACL did 50+ years ago.

Dave

Date: 03/27/15 10:53
Author: railcity

What the real reason about sleepers cars being blocked?? if another dumb move by Amtrak, if it is true??

Date: 03/27/15 10:53
Author: RevRandy

For those of us for whom the MIA terminal is 4 hours away, the elimination of the Star as a train with sleeper service severely limits AMTRAK availability . . . having to leave the night before or by about 3:30am to get the Meteor would make it nearly unusable.  I can only hope this is a computer glitch.  

Date: 03/27/15 11:22

Once again, instead of all the speculation,  has anyone who is really interested thought to call and ask them?  And yes, any all sleeper train would be nice. But someone would probably call foul claiming it disrespects those who could not afford.

Date: 03/27/15 12:53

Awaiting an answer - Julie the chat window did not have any answer so I emailed them.  

andersonb109 Wrote:
> Once again, instead of all the speculation,  has
> anyone who is really interested thought to call
> and ask them?

Date: 03/27/15 13:05

I saw on another site that Amtrak responded to someone that "...the corporate office is currently holding the sale of sleepers due to some upcoming adjustments."  It was from an Amtrak representative.

So, what does that mean?  Apparently "corporate" is not adjusting coaches.  Just sleepers.

Date: 03/27/15 13:10

What is Amtrak going use Extra 25 Viewliners sleeping cars for then for this New order, if Amtrak cutting sleeping cars off of Star??

Date: 03/27/15 13:11

railcity Wrote:
> What is Amtrak going use Extra 25 Viewliners
> sleeping cars for then for this New order, if
> Amtrak cutting sleeping cars off of Star??

Probably the same sort of rehab and upgrading that was done to the cars that were parked during the winter consist downsizing.

Date: 03/27/15 13:16

Chessie1963 Wrote:
> railcity Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > What is Amtrak going use Extra 25 Viewliners
> > sleeping cars for then for this New order, if
> > Amtrak cutting sleeping cars off of Star??
>
> Probably the same sort of rehab and upgrading that
> was done to the cars that were parked during the
> winter consist downsizing.

Amtrak getting Worst every day with these dumb moves, if it is true. Why shut down Amtrak for good and start out fresh with New company?? Amtrak is become complete joke lately.

Date: 03/27/15 14:59

OK - totally admitting no information here, just musing . . . a big "what if:"

the adjustment is running the sleepers on 91/92 without meals included, which would mean a lower rate needs to be developed, programmed, and posted. Operate the Star as a test-market for the concept of room only, meals extra sleeper service.  

This would allow a train to have clear streams of revenue for F&B separate from transportation and accommodations.  

Would the sleeper riders buy it?  I, for one, would be OK with it provided the new rate would be a reasonably lower charge for accommodation.  Sure, once I am in the sleeper and the meals are included I eat them all ... but were I needing to buy them I would probably make other choices.  

Just a random, without foundation pondering about what is going on.  

Or maybe its just that the Amtrak route manager finds the whole thing a pain in the neck and is waiting for the next Chiropractic adjustment  ;-)

Chessie1963 Wrote:
> I saw on another site that Amtrak responded to
> someone that "...the corporate office is currently
> holding the sale of sleepers due to some upcoming
> adjustments."  It was from an Amtrak
> representative.
>

Date: 03/27/15 17:13

Personally I'd rather pay a lower room rate and pay for meals as I go. I often don't do lunch anyway even though it is already paid for.

Date: 03/28/15 17:26
Author: ProAmtrak

railcity Wrote:

> Amtrak getting Worst every day with these dumb
> moves, if it is true. Why shut down Amtrak for
> good and start out fresh with New company?? Amtrak
> is become complete joke lately.

Uh, do you actually think starting all over would actually work if Washington's still involved? I'm thinking they're gonna take the sleepers off 91 and 92 since it seems it's like with the Chief, they're finding was to destroy Amtrak!

Date: 03/28/15 17:39
Author: Lackawanna484

The Star is usually a pretty long train.  I wonder if they're adding more coaches to it in place of the sleepers?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/29/15 14:50 by Lackawanna484.

Date: 03/28/15 19:17
Author: chess

Man, talk about jumping to conclusions! The Florida trains are still one of the most heavily patronized long distance routes. Yes the Silver Meteor is the favored train for North-easterners, however the Star does very good business and I seriously doubt that Amtrak will just drop sleepers from this train. I just don't see it. Of course stranger things have happened, but I for one will try to find out some facts before posting personal theories..

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0599 seconds