Home Open Account Help 307 users online

Passenger Trains > Coast Starlight v. San Joaquin ridership to/from Bay Area to LA

Date: 03/27/15 16:52
Coast Starlight v. San Joaquin ridership to/from Bay Area to LA
Author: DFWJIM

I am curious as to how many people per day/month/year ride the Coast Starlight between Los Angeles and Oakland/San Francisco versus how many take the bus and the San Joaquin to and from the same points. I imagine the San Joaquin would have more riders than the Starlight as there are four San Joaquin each way versus one each way for the Starlight but that is a guess on my part.

I tried digging through the internet first to get this information but I was unsuccessful in digging up the numbers I was looking for.

Thanks for your responses.

Date: 03/27/15 17:41
Re: Coast Starlight v. San Joaquin ridership to/from Bay Area to
Author: moltensulphur

According to the NARP Amtrak Ridership website: Coast Starlight carried 452,161 pass. in 2014. San Joaquin service carried 1,168,870 pass. in 2014.

Edit: Figures are total ridership, not point-to-point figures. So for the Starlight the LA - SFO figures would be even less.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/27/15 17:53 by moltensulphur.

Date: 03/27/15 19:11
Author: GenePoon

Unfortunately, as a response to the original question, those total ridership statistics are useless.

Date: 03/27/15 19:15
Author: jp1822

It's also a hard comparative because the Starlight is a "once a day train" from Sacramento/Bay Area to LA, whereas the San Joaquin's have 6 trains a day from Sacramento/Bay Area to LA. 

Date: 03/28/15 03:16
Author: DFWJIM

GenePoon Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Unfortunately, as a response to the original
> question, those total ridership statistics are
> useless.

Gene, you are absolutely right as I was easily able to get the total ridership for both trains but what I really needed was the ridership between just the Bay Area and LA.

Date: 03/28/15 09:48
Author: jst3751

moltensulphur Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> According to the NARP Amtrak Ridership website:
> Coast Starlight carried 452,161 pass. in 2014. San
> Joaquin service carried 1,168,870 pass. in 2014.
>
> Edit: Figures are total ridership, not
> point-to-point figures. So for the Starlight the
> LA - SFO figures would be even less.

Please do all a favor and delete your post since it ignores what the OP is asking.

Date: 03/28/15 16:57
Author: DNRY122

Much as I would like to avoid a bus segment when going north from LA, the San Joaquin works out better timewise when I want to visit San Francisco.

Date: 03/28/15 21:36
Author: coach

The Bay Area is served by more than just the Bay Area San Joaquin trains, when you notice that a connecting bus from Oakland to Stockton allows use of the 2 trains starting in Sacramento.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0407 seconds