Home Open Account Help 391 users online

Passenger Trains > Ride, Chase, and Foam (AMTK 42 + CitiRail Bonus)

Date: 03/30/15 01:44
Ride, Chase, and Foam (AMTK 42 + CitiRail Bonus)
Author: cchan006

I was informed Sunday morning on Yahoo! groups "headsupnorcal" on the whereabouts of AMTK 42, the Veterans Commemorative Unit, which was at San Jose Diridon Station, about to depart on Amtrak Capitol Corridor #734 to Sacramento. I had about 30 minutes to come up with a plan to nab it again (I got it last Sunday on Amtrak San Joaquin #715), and also take advantage of Amtrak Guest Rewards' double points promotion.

Plan A: Snap photo at San Jose, hop on #734, de-train at Sacramento, record video of AMTK 42 departing on #745, grab food, return to San Jose on #747.

Plan B: Drive to Emeryville, hop on #734, de-train at Martinez, or Davis, grab food, record video of AMTK 42 arriving at or near the station I de-trained, hop on #745 or #747 back to Emeryville.

Plan C: Modified Plan B - drive to Martinez instead, hop on #734, de-train at Davis, grab food, hop back on #745, de-train at Martinez, beat #745 from Martinez to Oakland Jack London Square for a street running video.

- AMTK 42 and Amtrak #734 at San Jose Diridon Station.
- AMTK 42 at Martinez Station, before I hopped on.
- Video described below.

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 03/30/15 01:49
Re: Ride, Chase, and Foam (AMTK 42 + CitiRail Bonus)
Author: cchan006

Well, I ended up not following what I planned...

I went to San Jose first, and got a grab shot of AMTK 42. Then a light bulb went off. Instead of hopping on #734, I drove to Alviso to get a video of AMTK 42 going away as a pusher (first clip). I calculated that I could easily beat #734 to Martinez, which I did.

I hopped on #734 there, and saw the SMART DMUs that weather posted about near Suisun/Fairfield. I had a craft beer onboard (current selection: Lagunitas Night Time, 7.9% alcohol). I went all the way to Sacramento, goofed off in Old Sacramento for a few minutes, including browsing through CA State Railroad Museum's gift shop, then got a video of AMTK 42 and Amtrak #745 departing Sacramento (second clip).

While walking around Old Sacramento, another light bulb went off. Instead of heading home on #747, I was going on an adventure onboard San Joaquin #704 and check out the UP Fresno Sub and BNSF Stockton Sub. I was informed few days ago that CitiRail GEVO CREX #1402 might be held captive on BNSF's M-FRSRIC/RICFRS (Fresno/Richmond) and it might lead going west. I had no idea where the train was, so the odds were very low, but what the heck, I'll gamble (maybe it was the Lagunitas).

The adventure was well worth it. From onboard #704, I got a good look at the Siemens factory (AMTK 640 is finished, or nearly finished, with another ACS-64 being assembled), and met one northbound between Haggin and Elvas on the UP Martinez Sub, and two northbounds on the UP Fresno Sub, MWCRVB and MFRRV. I met two more manifests and one stacker on BNSF Stockton Sub, got a good look at Mariposa and Riverbank, then de-trained at Modesto.

While I patiently waited for my return ride to Martinez, Amtrak #717, I heard unmistakable GEVO horns, the crossing gates went down, and CitiRail #1402 magically appeared (third clip)!

Not bad, especially with 600 Amtrak Guest Rewards points to go with the impromptu adventure. That's all folks.

- AMTK 42 became Amtrak #745 at Sacramento (Amtrak #743 to the right).
- Apologies accepted, because I nabbed a CitiRail!

Date: 03/30/15 08:22
Author: gaspeamtrak

Thanks for sharing!

Date: 03/30/15 12:13
Author: GP25

I see many of the Trains up there. Have the P42 in charge.

Are many of the F59s down for service?

Jerry Martin
Los Angeles, CA
Central Coast Railroad Festival

Date: 03/30/15 22:39
Author: ProAmtrak

Great pics and love the video!

Date: 03/30/15 22:49
Author: espeeboy

Cool round trip story Charles! Love how you worked in maximum mileage and got way more still/video shots than planned! That Modesto detour apaid off! 

Date: 04/01/15 09:48
Author: SPRF1

Say it in Richmond on 3/31/2015 at about 5:55 PM.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0493 seconds