Home Open Account Help 381 users online

Passenger Trains > "Private Car Season is Back!"

Date: 04/17/15 16:37
"Private Car Season is Back!"
Author: aussiehinz

After the predictable sparse movement over the winter of private cars gracing Amtrak trains passing "MH" Tower, the spring has brought with it a welcome increase in PV sightings.  Over the last couple weeks, several of Amtrak's long distance trains have sported private cars on the tail end, including #3 and #6 yesterday and #3 again this afternoon.  Here is today's "Southwest Chief" with "Birch Grove," "Oliver Hazard Perry," "Sierra Hotel," "Berlin," and "Dearing;" accelerating past the tower "steps" on time at 3:04 PM CDT.

Cheers,

aussiehinz

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/17/15 16:48 by aussiehinz.

Date: 04/17/15 17:50
Re: "Private Car Season is Back!"
Author: Mudrock

I hope they enjoy bouncing across Kansas tonight on the worst track that I have ever ridden on in all my years of train riding.

Chris

Date: 04/17/15 21:49
Author: SandHouseTalk

There may also be plenty of time to view the climb up Raton Pass Saturday with only two units and 15 cars (baggage, transition sleeper, two sleepers, diner, lounge, two coaches, coach baggage, deadhead sleeper, five privates).

p.s.  will be approximately 1 hour, 45 minutes late departing Lamar, CO. or 1 hour, 20 minutes down departing LaJunta, CO.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/18/15 05:30 by SandHouseTalk.

Date: 04/18/15 08:58
Author: Jimbo

SandHouseTalk Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> There may also be plenty of time to view the climb
> up Raton Pass Saturday with only two units and 15
> cars (baggage, transition sleeper, two sleepers,
> diner, lounge, two coaches, coach baggage,
> deadhead sleeper, five privates).
>
> p.s.  will be approximately 1 hour, 45 minutes
> late departing Lamar, CO. or 1 hour, 20 minutes
> down departing LaJunta, CO.

Pretty good guess.  It was 2 hours late out of Lamar.

Date: 04/18/15 11:37
Author: The_Chief_Way

looks like they are making it up the mountain OK.......never underestimate two P42's in good working order
( if you can find some )

Date: 04/18/15 19:38
Author: andersonb109

Thats me in the vestibule of Birch Grove. I thought that was you taking our photo. Yes we made it over the pass. Cut HEP to lighten the load. Why we didn't have 3 units for 5 PV's and one DH sleeper is beyond me.

Date: 04/18/15 19:54
Author: wabash2800

It would seem a little risky sitting on the open platform in the big city wouldn't it?

Date: 04/18/15 20:03
Author: Lurch_in_ABQ

SUBSCRIPTION, but it offers free peeks.
http://www.abqjournal.com/571390/news/vintage-rail-cars-give-glimpse-of-past.html

"=14pxA window into America’s railroad past will open up today as 10 private railcars stop in Albuquerque while en route to San Antonio, Texas, and the midterm meeting of the American Association of Private Railroad Car Owners....."

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0506 seconds