Home Open Account Help 375 users online

Passenger Trains > Derby PV looks a bit different this year

Date: 04/30/15 19:56
Derby PV looks a bit different this year
Author: wa4umr

I don't know what happened but Amtrak did not run the Derby Special from Chicago to Louisville this year.  There was some rumors that Iowa Pacific was going to run something out of Chicago with their own coaches but eee nixed them.  He said that wasn't going to happen.  Maybe they ran to Jeffersonville, In., just across the river from Louisville.  That way they wouldn't have have to have a CSX crew to take the train the last few hundred yards.  Anyway, I was in the area this evening and I was surprised to find a few private cars tied down on the stub.  Guess that's what we get this year.  They don't really compare to those wonderful and beautiful treats we normally see around this time of year.   I wonder if those drivers realize that today is probably the worst day of the year to park there?  Probably not and they probably don't care either.

Thanks to the posting a few lines down, CSX and R.J. Corman will give us some action on Saturday and NS is already here but you can't get any decent pictures of it without trespassing.

John

Date: 04/30/15 22:13
Re: Derby PV looks a bit different this year
Author: EMD2024

The all private car Derby Special that has come to Louisville for the last few years from Chicago was a charter train that was operated by Amtrak. The interest in continuing the operation was low this year, thus no PV train. I regret this as the car I manage (PugetSound) has been a part of these runs for the last few years. I've always enjoyed our guests and will miss seeing them this Derby season.

Michael Perkins
Mgr. PV Puget Sound

Date: 05/01/15 04:00
Author: 1976

I was told Amtrak failed to get approval to operate the train in time. Train planned for next year.

EMD2024 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The all private car Derby Special that has come to
> Louisville for the last few years from Chicago was
> a charter train that was operated by Amtrak. The
> interest in continuing the operation was low this
> year, thus no PV train. I regret this as the car I
> manage (PugetSound) has been a part of these runs
> for the last few years. I've always enjoyed our
> guests and will miss seeing them this Derby
> season.
>
> Michael Perkins
> Mgr. PV Puget Sound

Date: 05/01/15 05:43
Author: twropr

Why did NS not run a Derby train this year?

Andy

Date: 05/01/15 10:37
Author: timecruncher

The NS train did, indeed operate and is parked over at Youngstown Yard as it always is.

Don't know yet about the Governor's train or RJ Corman's train, which usually come in from Lexington or Frankfort over Corman's rail line on Derby morning.

The resident part-time foamer at the Transit Authority of River City (me) misses the train this year as well!  Hope they get back next year.

timecruncher

Date: 05/01/15 10:39
Author: Baxtersta

Thank you Mr Perkins and all involved in bringing the private train to the Derby in pat years.  It was a splendid train each year.  

Date: 05/01/15 15:44
Author: wa4umr

NS did run their train and as mentioned above, it's in Youngstown Yard.  It's pretty difficult to see.  I drove to the yard on Tuesday .  It's kind of hard to see anything it unless you tend to be a trespasser extraordinaire.  You can see part of it from Hardin Street, off of Bank Street between 33rd and 35th streets.  The locomotives are visable from the private road off of 35th Street, a couple hundred yards south of Bank Street.  That road serves NS and another industry.  I didn't know I was trespassing at the time I took the attached photo.  As I drove out of the area I saw a sign that I had passed.  It wasn't obvious as I came onto the property but I saw it as I left.  It was a small sign on a fence parallel to the driveway.

John

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.056 seconds