Home Open Account Help 390 users online

Passenger Trains > Amtrak, the ACLU, the DEA - a follow up

Date: 05/19/15 18:43
Amtrak, the ACLU, the DEA - a follow up
Author: Lackawanna484

The Atlantic has a follow up to the story of Joseph Rivers (the Detroit guy whose money was seized by DEA).  More background on the relationship between Amtrak and the DEA, based on Freedom of Information Act releases. In this account, a 37 year old health researcher was searched, and had some money lifted from his wallet in another bogus search

The article mentions and links to the TO discussion about another stop, and provides some facts and figures about the intercepts.

Harasses?

Date: 05/19/15 19:05
Re: Amtrak, the ACLU, the DEA - a follow up
Author: ColdRainAndSnow

This Reno situation is totally out of control. I was on the Zephyr Friday on the approach to Reno rehearsing in my head how my confrontation with the Goon Squad was going to go down. Perhaps because I was in the Trans-Dorm, I was left alone this time even though I was a single, male sleeper passenger. Who in the Hell do these guys think they are? Regularly badgering law abiding citizens who are just trying to relax on their rail trip. The Atantic story makes my blood boil over. The Reno 911 Goon Squad is worse than the criminals. I hope others will join me in writing the author with our experiences so he will keep a light shining on these THUGS with a badge. 

Date: 05/19/15 19:12
Author: MEKoch

And then there is the Border Patrol on #49 at Buffalo

Date: 05/19/15 23:24
Author: bobwilcox

The long lines at the airport look a lot better.

Bob Wilcox
Charlottesville, VA
My Flickr Shots

Date: 05/20/15 00:09
Author: Heath_Tower

After reading this thread, I'm glad I did what I did recently.

While staying in Northern Ohio to attend a funeral recently, my wife and I found a wallet in a Taco Bell parking lot,
late one night. It belonged to a 19 year old man living in the same town, and we discussed whether to take the wallet
to the local police or to his home, even though we were 300 miles from home, pressed for time and it was late.

Inside the wallet was $560.00, cash.

We didn't take it to the pollce....and the owner was very happy we stopped by....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/20/15 00:11 by Heath_Tower.

Date: 05/20/15 04:59
Author: joemvcnj

That article quoted Trainsorders.com

I had thought it was the Reno PD that harassed people there not the DEA ?

If it were the Reno PD, Amtrak could easily stop that by giving that City 30 days notice to cease and desist , or suspend service there, then negotiate with UP to re-establish the station in Sparks and for the crew change.

Date: 05/20/15 06:08
Author: Lackawanna484

joemvcnj Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> That article quoted Trainsorders.com
>
> I had thought it was the Reno PD that harassed
> people there not the DEA ?
>
> If it were the Reno PD, Amtrak could easily stop
> that by giving that City 30 days notice to cease
> and desist , or suspend service there, then
> negotiate with UP to re-establish the station in
> Sparks and for the crew change.

Several of the reports on TrainOrders mentioned the Reno PD and DEA were part of the intercept.

Local agencies like that because they get to share in the civil forfeiture money and they get DHS credits for vital infrastructure support. Which earns them toys like tanks, armored personnel carriers, grenade launchers, etc.  Or at least they did until last week.

Date: 05/20/15 08:20
Author: reindeerflame

joemvcnj Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> That article quoted Trainsorders.com
>
> I had thought it was the Reno PD that harassed
> people there not the DEA ?
>
> If it were the Reno PD, Amtrak could easily stop
> that by giving that City 30 days notice to cease
> and desist , or suspend service there, then
> negotiate with UP to re-establish the station in
> Sparks and for the crew change.

"Easily" is easily an overstatement here.  Nothing involving Amtrak is "easy", except perhaps removing flowers from the dining car.  UP would not easily agree to a stop at Sparks, having just eliminated Amtrak's rail stop there.  If Reno were eliminated as a stop, then the train could just as well be terminated in Salt Lake City, given the dismal ridership numbers even now in nonpeak periods between RNO and SLC.  And, if Amtrak threatened to suspend service, the City of Reno would likely lean on its federal representatives to bring Amtrak into line, and Amtrak would cave.  Besides, why would Amtrak be interested in the interests of its passengers?

Date: 05/20/15 16:51
Author: ColdRainAndSnow

The cited TO post was from a boarding downline in Omaha. They have their own miscreants there too, namely Mr. Lutter of the Nebraska State Police. His specialty is rousting innocent, unwitting passengers from their sleep and demanding they succumb to his interrogations and searches. Equally despicable, different Goon Squad.

The Reno spectacle is a self-proclaimed multijurisdictional "task force" comprised of Reno 911 PD, DEA, and God knows what else. I've had both Reno PD and DEA badges flashed on me. One trip on #6, we got so far as Sacramento before a Goon boarded and started asking me questions. For merely buying my ticket one week earlier (with CC and AGR #), he came blasting up the stairs convinced that I was a smuggler. I consented to the search, and ripped him a new one while he desperately tossed my bags. He was PISSED that his "big score" turned out to be a figment of his overactive imagination. What a joker!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/20/15 16:54 by ColdRainAndSnow.

Date: 05/20/15 16:59
Author: wabash2800

Here in Indiana a number of different kinds of law enforcement can get involved in drugs busts. Even game wardens can get involved. I knew someone about 20 years ago that was interviewing to become a game warden and the low pay combined with that made him lose interest.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/21/15 14:20 by wabash2800.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0786 seconds