Home Open Account Help 304 users online

Passenger Trains > Caltrain employees face surge of deaths on the tracks

Date: 05/20/15 15:25
Caltrain employees face surge of deaths on the tracks
Author: Lackawanna484

The San Jose Mercury News has a photo article about the surge in deaths on the Caltrain tracks in the Bay Area. The total in 2015 already equals the total for all of 2014.  Many employees are facing terrible memories as they relive situations into which they were thrust.

Emotional toll of the fatalities

Date: 05/20/15 16:05
Re: Caltrain employees face surge of deaths on the tracks
Author: CPCoyote

It's a nice photo collection, but that's about it.  No mention of engineers at all, except for the guy now working as a Trainmaster.

Date: 05/20/15 16:42
Author: ExStarlightHog

It used to be fun being an engineer.  On the peninsula you might get a trespasser every five years or so, but now it's more like every five months.  Glad I'm retired.

Date: 05/21/15 07:38
Author: kdrtrains

What is the reason for this surge?

Date: 05/21/15 07:48
Author: Lackawanna484

kdrtrains Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What is the reason for this surge?

The article mentions an increase in kids apparently committing suicide by train, but isn't clear on how much of the surge is due to that.

Date: 05/21/15 07:50
Author: whistlepig

ExStarlightHog Wrote:
-------------------------------------

------------------
> It used to be fun being an engineer.  On the
> peninsula you might get a trespasser every five
> years or so, but now it's more like every five
> months.  Glad I'm retired.

Being the retired Surflinerhogger, me too.  With the yuppies building their houses just a few feet from the 90 mph tracks, then screaming their heads off  about the trains being too fast and too loud.  A friend recently told me that almost all of Orange County is a "quiet zone".  It's all bullcrap now.

Date: 05/21/15 07:50
Author: BAB

Shouldn't have to even ask that question as its been reported many times on here. The use of ear pieces while listing to the radio, using a cell phone type of device, stupidity in general,
and the list goes on. Oh yes and taking pictures of others sitting on the tracks. The list goes on but general stupidity kind of covers all areas.
> What is the reason for this surge?

Date: 05/21/15 08:03

Gentlemen, I have never been involved with a death that was my doing. I hope I never am! Thirty years on the firetruck I was involved with many needless deaths.
I always figured that if there was a death involved that was not my fault I could live with it. Maybe not!
For you engineers that have been, I can only say that I feel for you and hope you can get over it.
We live in a very stupid world and getting more stupider by the second.
The only defense we have is to follow all rules, laws, and guidelines and cover your ass!

KR
Just my opinion.

Date: 05/21/15 09:12
Author: AmHog

Well think of it this way. What if people suddenly started using fire trucks to committ sucide. Not your fault, but you're still involved as a spectator. It adds up after time.

Date: 05/21/15 09:24

I think many trucks would start keeping a tab on the fuselage. I know, that was not funny!
My odd sense of humor and for many fire fighters, cops, and ER techs may use it as  our defence mechanism.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/21/15 09:31 by kdrtrains.

Date: 05/21/15 14:03
Author: CPCoyote

kdrtrains Wrote:
> Gentlemen, I have never been involved with a death
> that was my doing. I hope I never am! Thirty years
> on the firetruck I was involved with many needless
> deaths.
> I always figured that if there was a death
> involved that was not my fault I could live with
> it. Maybe not!
> For you engineers that have been, I can only say
> that I feel for you and hope you can get over it.
> We live in a very stupid world and getting more
> stupider by the second.
> The only defense we have is to follow all rules,
> laws, and guidelines and cover your ass!
>
> KR
> Just my opinion.

KR is absolutely right.  Follow the rules and cover your ass.  Don't worry about trying to make up time or taking shortcuts to get an early quit.  If something happens, the event recorder should show you did everything right.  They'll go over it in detail, trying to find something you did wrong, but don't give them that satisfaction.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0661 seconds