Home Open Account Help 360 users online

Passenger Trains > A late # 3 at the frost flyover

Date: 06/28/15 20:20
A late # 3 at the frost flyover
Author: tc

I saw todays southwest chief was running late again so with the suggestion from a friend I decided to blow off cajon and try the crossover just outside of victorville.

Date: 06/28/15 20:21
Re: A late # 3 at the frost flyover

Last one.    Thanks for looking  Tim

Date: 06/28/15 20:39
Author: ProAmtrak

Great pics Tim, I was on that train and all I can say is that it was a solid run!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/29/15 15:29 by ProAmtrak.

Date: 06/28/15 21:57
Author: GrandePete

Love the pictures, spent 50 years in Victorville and always enjoyed time around the "Natural Crossover".

Date: 06/28/15 21:59
Author: The_Chief_Way

Nice series !

Date: 06/28/15 23:42
Author: mp51w

What year did they construct the flyover?  It's neat how it comes thru that notch in the mountain, and I assume that is the track you can see off in the distance toward the larger mountain with the antennas on top?

Date: 06/29/15 02:36
Author: Evan_Werkema

mp51w Wrote:

> What year did they construct the flyover? 

It was built when the line between Summit and Barstow, CA was double-tracked in 1923-24. 

> It's neat how it comes thru that notch in the mountain,

The Mojave River built the notch (called the "Upper Narrows"); the railroad is just a tenant.

> and I assume that is the track you can see off in
> the distance toward the larger mountain with the
> antennas on top?

The railroad isn't visible in these photos beyond the Upper Narrows.  It keeps following the Mojave River down in the valley below Quartzite Mountain, running northwest for a bit but eventually bending around to the east toward Barstow.  The gentle grade you can see scaling the side of Quartzite Mountain in the first photo is probably Quarry Road, which eventually drops back down to Oro Grande.

Date: 06/29/15 06:45

What was truely insteresting when I left santa clarita for the trip out to the flyover it was 90 deg + when I approached victorville it was 67 and raining its was raining on me when this train went by we in SO Cal need more of the rain.

Date: 06/29/15 15:30
Author: ProAmtrak

Yeah I noticed that going through Heispeira, seems the monsoons will be hitting the deserts hard this year!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0472 seconds