Home Open Account Help 345 users online

Passenger Trains > "Into Town, 55 Down: Lake Shore Limited"

Date: 07/02/15 14:11
"Into Town, 55 Down: Lake Shore Limited"
Author: ut-1

Following a mini-monsoon season here in Upstate New York, today's truly been a beautiful day. Thought I'd go down to Union Station & video 48's arrival into town; originally, I was hoping to use the drone but that was not to be. Some other day, perhaps.

One of the new baggage cars was in the train. Asked a crew member what she thought of it. Never got an answer, watch the video & learn why!

Have a happy & safe Fourth of July weekend everybody!!

John

WA2SKN __ . __ . __ __ . __

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 07/02/15 14:19
Re: "Into Town, 55 Down: Lake Shore Limited"
Author: SpeederDriver

di dah dah,   di di di dah dah,  dit,  dah dit,  dah di dah.

Date: 07/02/15 19:37
Author: gaspeamtrak

Thanks for shaing! Excellent video! :)

Date: 07/03/15 08:19
Author: ntharalson

Very nice video.  I assume the Viewliners up front were the sleepers.  (I really don't keep up on Amtrak
that much, mostly due to my location.)  I must add that seeing 3 P42's on the point seems overkill.
The western trains I see, 3/4, 5/6 and 7/8, seldom rate more than two, and they've got much stiffer
grades to conquer.  And it was nice seeing the "heritage" diner in the train.  Shoot these while you
can because they are going, going, and soon gone.

Nick Tharalson,
Marion, IA

Date: 07/04/15 07:20
Author: train1275

Nice video !
Do you remember in the '70's when they ran E-units and even a bit later when the F40's arrived how those old timers would come into a station stop ?  I remember one afternoon watching an eastbound wheel in on Track 2 here in Utica and thinking the head end must have been doing 50mph when he passed me and probably wouldn't be stopped until down by Tower 30. But he made a perfect spot.

When the E-units left westbound I recall them winding right up into #8 and the sound was deafening. Many afternoons I was over at the EL yard office west of the depot in summer with the windows open (built in air conditioning) and hearing the toot-toot highball and hearing 567's winding up, then the roar of power and the horn for Washington Street crossing and then the loud roar as they wheeled by with exhaust stacks throwing smoke. Great stuff !

One day I was on the head end of an eastbound with an F40, proabably Train #74? unit 238 - We got the highball at Utica and notched out like a rocket ship passing Tower 30 at 60mph. An old NYC guy running. He looked 80  years old and had hearing aids. I've forgotten his name. Only rode with him the once.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/05/15 16:33 by train1275.

Date: 07/05/15 09:44
Author: ut-1

Thanks for the feedback, gents. Also, always interesting hearing from "train1275", great vignettes, Doug!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/05/15 09:45 by ut-1.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.04 seconds