Home Open Account Help 263 users online

Passenger Trains > Recent Capitol Experience

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

Date: 07/06/15 11:16
Recent Capitol Experience
Author: andersonb109

I took the Capitol Ltd. round trip from Waterloo, IN to Cumberland, leaving last Wednesday. A few observations both good and bad.  Going out, we were 1:50 late after they departed Chicago 1 hr. late due to "mechanical" problems. Upon boarding in Waterloo at approx. 11:30P my bed wasn't made up and there were no towels in the room (in the Trans. Sleeper). Attendant said he was too busy in his "other" car. But not my problem. I do like the new blanket policy. They come wrapped in a bag...much like Business Class on the airlines. That way you know (or at least hope) they are clean. No problem putting the blanket over the bed that the attendant is suppose to make up. I was told this is a test program on this train only.  On the return, I had  a late dinner sitting. My attendant had secured a reservation for me as the train was well in route when I boarded. Unfortunately,not all think ahead like this. Food was normal Amtrak. Just ok but so overpriced (if you are in coach) for a comparably portioned entree in a casual dining restaurant. Service. Just ok. Would it be so difficult to at least greet the diners with a simple "Hi folks" or similar. But no. Just..."what do you want to drink." No greeting etc.  Even on Delta you get a "welcome aboard."  Service was slow and one of the coach attendants was helping out the two staff crew in the Cross Country Cafe. Not being a waiter, he seemed very confused.  One real positive. I noted we had three sleepers (four including the transition car) on the westbound train.   Reason, they have regularly been adding sleepers to No. 30 due to all the miss connects from the western train fiasco's and then run them back to Chicago selling the extra space. I'm surprised they were able to find the equipment to do this. Photo is the rear with "Royal Street" carrying the markers earlier the morning in Waterloo, IN 50 minutes down.

Date: 07/06/15 11:19
Re: Recent Capitol Experience
Author: hsr_fan

Having been on the Capitol, Southwest Chief, Texas Eagle, Coast Starlight, Empire Builder, and Cardinal in the last couple of years I've found the Capitol Ltd's attendants to be the least friendly and least attentive.  Just anecdotal observation, but I wonder if my experience reflects others.

Date: 07/06/15 11:27
Author: joemvcnj

The WAS OBS crew base needs to be told to shape up, or the train get reassigned to Chicago. This is the only train they have to work, it is a short run for a LD train. No excuses for this.

Date: 07/06/15 12:58
Author: SP4360

I guess your trip would have been better in another country. Amtrak is all we have, and I for one will deal with the shortcomings as well as the good without complaint. It is what it is and it won't be anymore until this government, on both sides of the mudhole decide to stop playing games. I don't see that happening in my lifetime, do you?

Date: 07/06/15 13:12
Author: Genesis803

I have become pretty good at putting my own bed up and down over the years due to inattentive sleeping car attendants. I do tip for good (minimal) service, but there are many times I didn't. Amtrak's inconsistent employees is its biggest weakness.

We know there is a great need for more funding. We as railfans will keep ridinging almost no matter what. However, the general public will not pay hundreds, sometimes thousands, of dollars for a sleeping car and be treated so poorly. They simply will not return which hurts Amtrak even more. If Amtrak were able to become well known for it's great service, ridership would increase and Congress may be more apt to increase funding. Instead, Amtrak and some of it's employees seem to take the "woe is me" or "I don't care" attitude instead of doing everything they can to ensure passengers return. 

Date: 07/06/15 14:01
Author: railcity

Everything fine for me on the Capitol Limited for my big trip, great crew on both 29&30 both ways.

Date: 07/06/15 15:40
Author: bobs

I was on 30 in late May.  Sleeping car attendant was very good and helpful.  Dining car crew was tolerable.  I think their job is made more difficult by this being a half diner/half lounge.  They have a large number of people to feed leaving CHI and, on my train, were still serving after 10:00 PM because of this limited capacity.  This made for a late night, and they weren't ready for breakfast at 6:30 like they should have been.  They weren't very civil to those of us waiting for breakfast when we were told they should have been open. 

Date: 07/06/15 16:16
Author: fulham

Are they still using the lounge portion of the Cross Country Cafe for the cafe car, or is it back downstairs in the Sightseer lounge?

Date: 07/06/15 16:34
Author: stash

I sent Amtrak a message saying how pleased I was with California Zephyr service. So tell the railroad what the Capitol Limited service is like.

Posted from Android

Date: 07/06/15 16:43
Author: BoilingMan

I just completed a coast to coast to coast trip and was quite amazed at how many "first timers" I ran into back in the sleepers- supporting the fact Amtrak's ridership is growing, not going away.
And for the most part they seemed pleased with what they'd paid for.
I've been with Amtrak for a long time (31yrs tomorrow) and, yes, I spotted all the little inconsistencies that surely would have sent Mr.109 running to his laptop giddy with complaints- but those around me were happy.

Draw your own conclusions.
SR

Date: 07/06/15 18:39
Author: RuleG

I haven't been on the Capitol Limited for over two years, but prior to that my experiences have been positive.

Date: 07/06/15 19:00
Author: Lackawanna484

BoilingMan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I just completed a coast to coast to coast trip
> and was quite amazed at how many "first timers" I
> ran into back in the sleepers- supporting the fact
> Amtrak's ridership is growing, not going away.
> And for the most part they seemed pleased with
> what they'd paid for.
> I've been with Amtrak for a long time (31yrs
> tomorrow) and, yes, I spotted all the little
> inconsistencies that surely would have sent Mr.109
> running to his laptop giddy with complaints- but
> those around me were happy.
>
> Draw your own conclusions.
> SR

Congratulations on your anniversary, it's almost tomorrow in the eastern US

Date: 07/06/15 19:06
Author: jp1822

The Capitol Limited seems to bounce back and forth between having a "full" diner and then the "Cross Country Cafe" (CCC). The CCC is used and operated just like the full service diner, it's just that they don't use the lounge section - or if they do it is COMPLETE overflow just to get people served a meal.

The Capitol Limited continues to be a POPULAR train from Midwest to Washington DC. But it still lacks the Pittsburgh to Philly connection. This is the perfect train to operate like the Lake Shore Limited. A NY/Philly section and a WAS section. Amtrak did it once - they can do it again, they would just have to sort of "reverse" the equipment pool.

Date: 07/06/15 19:19

> Congratulations on your anniversary, it's almost
> tomorrow in the eastern US

Thank you
(only 13mo, 8days, and 18hrs to go!)
SR

Date: 07/06/15 19:24
Author: jp1822

bobs Wrote:
> I was on 30 in late May.  Sleeping car attendant
> was very good and helpful.  Dining car crew was
> tolerable.  I think their job is made more
> difficult by this being a half diner/half
> lounge.  They have a large number of people to
> feed leaving CHI and, on my train, were still
> serving after 10:00 PM because of this limited
> capacity.  This made for a late night, and they
> weren't ready for breakfast at 6:30 like they
> should have been.  They weren't very civil to
> those of us waiting for breakfast when we were
> told they should have been open. 

Where do these people go to charm school? Seriously, these employees of Amtrak's are in the service and hospitality industry and get paid pretty well all in all. The onboard service between VIA Rail Canada and Amtrak is night and day. Amtrak onboard service could seriously learn something from VIA Rail Canada's onboard staff.

I completely agree - greet passengers with a "how are you," "welcome, may I take your drink order." Inserting "please," "thank you," and "your welcome" would go a LONG WAY! Instead of some dining and onboard folks treating patrons like an inconvenience, it would be nice if they are dealt some welcoming attitude. Yes, shape up or ship out - and that's exactly what Amtrak is doing with the full service Diners. But this is at the expense of the patrons/riders.   

Date: 07/06/15 20:03
Author: IC_2024

BoilingMan Wrote:
> > Congratulations on your anniversary, it's
> almost
> > tomorrow in the eastern US
>
> Thank you
> (only 13mo, 8days, and 18hrs to go!)
> SR

Wow!!  Not like you're counting down or anything like that, SR?!?  Lol

Date: 07/06/15 20:22

47min and 56sec....
SR

Date: 07/07/15 03:10
Author: andersonb109

The downstairs of the Sightseer Lounge was close (blocke off by a cardboard trash container). Service was from the back half of the Cross Counry Cafe.

Date: 07/07/15 09:07
Author: joemvcnj

OBS making up its own rules. Management is asleep and does not much care. Typical Amtrak.

Date: 07/07/15 09:31

Last week the Coast Starlight, 11 (28), left Seattle with 2 dinners- one with no refrigeration, the other with no potable water. The OBS crew (incredibly, I think) worked between the two and served all meals to LA.
Not some hand picked super-crew, just a group thrown into a difficult situation.
It's a tough job.
Sometimes beyond belief!
SR

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0677 seconds