Home Open Account Help 335 users online

Passenger Trains > Amtrak NEC video--worth a look

Date: 07/06/15 12:24
Amtrak NEC video--worth a look
Author: stash

Search on You Tube for Part 1 Amtrak's great Pennsylvania Railroad, a backwards "Cab Ride". Also Part 2.

Recently filmed off the rear platform of a private car hooked to the Carolinian from NYPenn to WashDC. The camera just keeps rolling. Great way to slightly familiarize yourself with Amtrak's NEC. I kept a map on the smart phone to follow the train along. Fast speeds and heavy traffic; had to scroll the map very quickly. Well maintained right of way. Tunnels through Baltimore interesting; didn't realize there were several.

Questions: how many tracks under the Hudson River, 2 or 4? Wire and third rail or just wire?

Date: 07/06/15 13:39
Re: Amtrak NEC video--worth a look
Author: chuchubob

Amtrak has two single track tunnels under the North (Hudson) River.

Date: 07/06/15 15:02
Author: 3rd_Raton

https://youtu.be/iiCS2wdnAFw

https://youtu.be/WvgVhIz4fgs

Surprised they just didn't make it one video. After all there is that 9 hour cab view ride through Norway .....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/06/15 15:05 by 3rd_Raton.

Date: 07/06/15 15:33
Author: jofegan

Caught that the other day - I think ithe video posted several weeks ago.  Not quite as good as a cab view, but darn fun to watch nevertheless.

IT would be cool to see if any other videos were taken from the back of the same car.

-j

Date: 07/06/15 17:50
Re: Hudson tunnels
Author: timz

Don't have a current timetable, but suspect it shows
third rail thru the Hudson River tunnels.

Date: 07/06/15 18:12
Author: Tominde

That is one SLOW train.   It starts in spring and arrives in the fall!    I know Amtrak runs late, but calendar late????   (changes season in Baltimore) 

Date: 07/06/15 20:43
Author: inCHI

Neat to see the PRR flyover south of Marcus Hook, PA, along the Delaware River and I495. There is such an odd track arrangment there (look at about 1:35 in the video)

Would this train have been going 110mph as a long-distance train and/or because of the private car?

Date: 07/07/15 03:00
Author: Jishnu

inCHI Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Neat to see the PRR flyover south of Marcus Hook,
> PA, along the Delaware River and I495. There is
> such an odd track arrangment there (look at about
> 1:35 in the video)
>
> Would this train have been going 110mph as a
> long-distance train and/or because of the private
> car?

Carolinian has a baggage car. If this was before the new Viewliner Baggage Cars were deployed then it would be limited to 110mph due to the Baggage Car. Otherwise the PV would limit it to 110mph.

The OP's questions.... There are two tracks under the Hudson in two tubes. They are equipped with both catenary and third rail. The third rail ends a short distance outside the west portals.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0427 seconds