Home Open Account Help 335 users online

Passenger Trains > Cars at Dabo, Inc., Orrville, OH

Date: 07/06/15 17:24
Cars at Dabo, Inc., Orrville, OH
Author: Rainier_Rails

For those who are members of or read Railway Preservation News (RYPN), you might've seen my post concerning these cars in the "Surviving Pullman" thread, but I thought that I would go ahead and post this here as well:

I recently received some information on 3 surviving Pullman heavyweights which have not yet been discussed in the "Surviving Pullman" thread, although the identities remain a mystery at this time:

The Orrville RR Heritage Society of Orrville, OH, is apparently in the process of moving locations, the new location being that of Dabo, Incorporated. There are several cars already at the Dabo site, which are not listed on the ORHS website, and I don't know for certain if these cars are owned by ORHS itself, ORHS members, or other private parties. Specifically, the information listed 3 heavyweight Pullmans, identities unknown, 3 New Haven coaches (also unknown), New Haven club lounge observation #476 Bunker Hill, NYC 6DB sleeper buffet lounge #10626 Woodland Stream, and a GN sleeper (unless FEC has stopped using it, this is not the former Oberlin Glacier/Manitoba Club, but a second GN car, which I didn't know about). The Woodland Stream is owned by Glenn Bowman and was formerly stored in Lordstown, OH, and the Bunker Hill is owned by John Birmingham, but I don't know anything about the other cars.

It should be noted that it apparently has come up elsewhere (where exactly I don't know) that at least some, if not most, of the cars which are already in storage at Dabo might be scrapped if new owners for these cars are not found. Who exactly owns these cars, what their histories are, or the current/future status of this equipment is something I need to research further. Are any TO members familiar with this equipment, the histories, the owners, or what the plans/statuses are? Thanks in advance for any information that can be provided, whether in this thread or via a private message. Feel free to send a PM if necessary for anonymity/security.

Posting from Estes Park, CO

Date: 07/06/15 17:49
Re: Cars at Dabo, Inc., Orrville, OH
Author: Topfuel

The GN sleeper might be the Lewis and Clark Pass, the only surviving GN 6-5-2 (or at least it used to be a 6-5-2.  Got to bulldoze some of those rooms, doncha' know). 

Good to hear the former NH Bunker Hill has not been scrapped (yet).  It's in rough shape, but a very unique car being an American Flyer round-end.  I thought it was cut up maybe 5 years ago or so.

Date: 07/06/15 18:05
Author: Rainier_Rails

Topfuel,

Thanks for identifying the Lewis & Clark Pass!  This car is listed by Randall as sold in 1977 to Roland Jordan in Clyde, OH, and it was later moved to the Mad River & Nickel Plate in Bellevue, OH (looking at my notes, this might have been in 1980).  I also checked Ben Ringnalda's website, and it is listed as sold to Thomas J. Jaite in August 2005.

Posting from Estes Park, CO

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/21/15 17:21 by Rainier_Rails.

Date: 07/06/15 19:26
Author: MEKoch

The Jaites still own the car and have done some rebuilding on it.  I am quite sure it will be moved the mile from the present ORHS site to the Dabo, Inc. property. 

W&LE, who had leased the track/yard to ORHS, revoked the lease because they are going to transload stone transported from Carey, OH to Orrville.  Thus the ORHS has to move all their equipment to the Dabo, Inc. property.  Present ORHS site is on the east side of Rt. #57.  Dabo, Inc. property is on the southwest side of Orrville, OH.  Dabo, Inc. operated a railroad scrap business.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/06/15 19:33 by MEKoch.

Date: 07/06/15 19:28
Author: MEKoch

Jerry Jacobson bought a steam engine on the Dabo, Inc site and moved it last week to Sugar Creek, OH and his round house/shop.  Also an accompanying tender.  Everything had to be trucked there.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.066 seconds