Home Open Account Help 261 users online

Passenger Trains > Trying not to be confused in California Part 2

Date: 08/26/15 06:19
Trying not to be confused in California Part 2
Author: richs

2 months ago I posed a question for suggestions for a relatively quick yet scenic trip from LAX, as we were to fly out later that evening.  I settled on the Pacific Surfliner to San Diego and back.  I got a call and an email from Amtrak that we would have to get off the train in Irvine and take a bus to San Diego.  Same on the return trip. I checked a few trips north instead, but time constraints may not work out.  Is track work being done?  If any of you have any other suggestions I m all ears.  I really did not want a bustitution south of Irvine, missing the coastal view.
Thanks
RichS   

Date: 08/26/15 07:30
Re: Trying not to be confused in California Part 2
Author: PERichardson

Rent a car at LAX and drive down the coast and  back.

Date: 08/26/15 07:42
Author: stash

Not sure why the bus but presume it is due to major track work. Driving that road really stinks. Take a Surfliner or the Coast Starlight north from LA. You can go to Santa Barbara or SLO. Nice ride.

Date: 08/26/15 08:06
Author: Mudrock

Could you take your trip on Friday or Monday when the line is open?

Chris

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/26/15 08:06 by Mudrock.

Date: 08/26/15 08:13
Author: tlynch67

​For that matter you can make that trip in a locomotive from the comfort of your own home. Its called "Train Simulator 2015," and you will be "immersed" in the scenery, sounds, beautiful oceanfront stations!

Date: 08/26/15 08:32
Author: walstib

My suggestion is to ride the Surfliner north to Santa Barbara or San Luis Obispo.

If you want to walk around town, have lunch and then take the train back, go to Santa Barbara.

If you want a longer train ride with more breathtaking scenery, but no time to walk around and have lunch before taking a train back, ride to San Luis Obispo.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 08/26/15 08:34

No...Sunday is the only opportunity, as we must be back to LAX for a redeye and back to work Monday

Mudrock Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Could you take your trip on Friday or Monday when
> the line is open?
>
> Chris

Date: 08/26/15 08:43
Author: MartyBernard

Other options:

Blue Line to Long Beach and back.  

Metrolink to San Bernardino and back.

Metrolink to.Palmdale and back.

Date: 08/26/15 09:12

SLO won't work with respect to time, but Santa Babara would.  It looks like there is a pier not far from the Santza Barbara  station with restaurants.  Good idea??? YES/NO THANKS
richs

walstib Wrote:
> My suggestion is to ride the Surfliner north to
> Santa Barbara or San Luis Obispo.
>
> If you want to walk around town, have lunch and
> then take the train back, go to Santa Barbara.
>
> If you want a longer train ride with more
> breathtaking scenery, but no time to walk around
> and have lunch before taking a train back, ride to
> San Luis Obispo.
>
> Posted from iPhone

Date: 08/26/15 09:19
Author: walstib

Yes, there is a pier — Stearns Wharf — a short walk from the Santa Barbara depot. Head the other direction and downtown Santa Barbara offers a ton of places to eat and spend money.

Date: 08/26/15 09:20
Author: DavidP

richs Wrote:
> SLO won't work with respect to time, but Santa
> Babara would.  It looks like there is a pier not
> far from the Santza Barbara  station with
> restaurants.  Good idea??? YES/NO THANKS
> richs
>
>
Yes...Santa Barbara is great fun and the Coast Line west of Ventura is as pretty as the Surf Line.

Dave

Date: 08/26/15 10:40

Thanks again all.
We're going to go to Santa Barbara.  Just got off the phone with Amtrak.  They cancelled my SAN trip, booked the SBA and issued me a refund on my CC in no time at all. Time frame will work out great with respect to getting from the Long Beach port  to Union Station that morning and getting back for our flight out that same evening.
richs

Date: 08/26/15 10:41
Author: Railrev

Also a rubber tired "trolley" in Santa Barbara that offers a quick tour of the city and on/off service.  Stops on State St. Right by Amtrak.  It goes to the pier, downtown, etc. 

Date: 08/26/15 11:03
Author: Mudrock

Sunday get a $10 Sunday weekend pass on Metrolink take it down to Oceanside and if you want to take a ride  on the Sprinter to Escondido then take the train back to LA. That way you get the best part of the Surfline and a small cost.

chris

Date: 08/26/15 11:05
Author: CR3

Like to hear more about the rubber tired trolley in Santa Barbara like how often does it run?  Could you detrain from Amtrak, then take a ride up town to a restaurant lets say and then catch a ride back without a long wait?

CRS

Date: 08/26/15 11:32
Author: StarlightRider

Santa Barbara MTD...There is also a private trolley, Santa Barbara Trolley, that gives 90 minute tours.

Date: 08/26/15 12:14
Author: TrainRidingGal

If you are departing from the Amtrak station, the walk uptown is fairly easy.  The upslope is minimal and the blocks are short but filled with lots of shops and restaurants to distract you from thinking that you are walking very far.  30 minutes each direction per Google will take you quite aways up State Street with lots of choices of restaurants.  One of the reasons we like SBA is that you can visit so much by walking or taking the trolley out to the Zoo.   A 15 minute walk will take you to the end of Stearns Wharf and that's going along one of the side streets.  

Date: 08/26/15 20:52
Author: 567Chant

FWIW, here's my 2¢ -
"The Santa Barbara Arts and Crafts Show is a piece of living history highlighting the creative talents of local artisans. The show is located on Cabrillo Boulevard from Stearns Wharf to Calle Cesar Chavez. The show takes place every Sunday year-round and on Saturdays of major holiday weekends. Official show hours are from 10am until dusk."
<http://tinyurl.com/pfe7kzr>
I've always found it enjoyable.
...Lorenzo

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0698 seconds