Home Open Account Help 135 users online

Passenger Trains > Rush Hour Metra Trains On BNSF (Hinsdale, IL)

Date: 08/26/15 07:18
Rush Hour Metra Trains On BNSF (Hinsdale, IL)
Author: zchcsse

The morning and afternoon Metra commuter rushes on the BNSF "Racetrack" outside Chicago are often among the items on many railfan bucket lists.   Though having grown up along that route, it's what I considered 'normal' and never thought much of it.  However now, having lived away from that route for over 10 years, I've begun to appreciate the uniquness of these regular weekday events, and while on a recent vaction to visit family I headed down to Hinsdale, IL just after 7am to observe the show.  In just over an hour, nearly 30 trains had passed by me, all Metra except one Amtrak, the westbound Carl Sandburg. 

This clip features a very small sampling of the morning rush hour activity on "The Racetrack".   Meets, overtakes, and races are the norm for this line during rush hour, and this morning was no exception.

Thanks for watching!

-Tom

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 08/26/15 08:08
Re: Rush Hour Metra Trains On BNSF (Hinsdale, IL)
Author: PennPlat

This is the best Chicago suburban video I've seen.  Hope you get to do another at Elmhurst station adding all of that UPac traffic intertwined with Metra, no Amtrak though on that line.  Really first class.
Thanks,​

Date: 08/26/15 09:20
Author: kestrel

Great video!  I'm impressed by the size of the trains and the variety of cars in the trains themselves.  I just thought Metra was just generic silver cars.  I'm gonna have to make it up there at some point and just watch trains!

Thanks!

Vince Smith
Gulf Western Modular Railroad Society
Corpus Christi, TX

Date: 08/26/15 12:52
Author: Sasquatch

Excellent, Tom; thanks for posting your great video from my old stomping grounds; I do miss Chicagoland at times.

And yes, I echo the sentiments of the poster above that, like Hinsdale, Elmhurst is sure a great place to watch and video trains during rush hour as well...one of my all-time favorite spots.

-Tom

Date: 08/26/15 13:26
Author: CP8888

Amazing. BNSF does this twice a day 5 days a week. Somewhat less on the weekends.
I commuted Aurora - Chicago for a year. Late only twice. Once account driver knocked
down a crossing gate. Second account freight car door fell off a moving train.

Date: 08/26/15 14:57
Author: tomcough

I agree, great video, Hinsdale is a,great place to watch trains in Chicagoland. 

Tom Coughkin
Stow, MA.  

Date: 08/26/15 16:15
Author: mp51w

Nice transitions!  I counted 4 different window styles!  It is amazing feat everyday, with Metra, BNSF freight, and Amtrak!

Date: 08/26/15 17:09
Author: LakeStL

Outstanding!

Date: 08/26/15 18:20
Author: gaspeamtrak

Excellent!!! Gotta get back there agin!!!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0319 seconds