Home Open Account Help 256 users online

Passenger Trains > Revised Amtrak Guest Rewards Redemption Rates

Current Page:1 of 3

Date: 08/27/15 08:42
Revised Amtrak Guest Rewards Redemption Rates
Author: abyler

Just got an email from Amtrak.

Starts 1/24/16. Book before 1/24/16 if you don't like these rules.

Estimated redemption rates are:

34.5 points per dollar of ticket price for sleeper redemptions. Also for Coach and Buiness.

39 points per dollar for Acela First Class and Business Class.

No blackouts. Redemptions based on available ticket prices. Auto train vehicle fee presumably also tickeprice based.

Minimum 800 points to redeem.

Earn point bonuses for business and Acela first class travel.

Can use points to buy monthly passes and 10-trips.

Can use a points and cash option similar to Delta's program if you don't have enough points.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 08/27/15 09:02
Re: Revised Amtrak Guest Rewards Redemption Rates
Author: Chessie1963

Interesting.  So a roomette from Boston to Chicago on November 12 is just 11,000 points or so, much cheaper than the old system.  A trip next week is 17,000 points.  A two zone fare now would be 20,000 points.

A full bedroom really changes the equation since those prices are generally much higher.  For next week it would be 37,000 points Boston to Chicago vs. 40,000 points with the old system.

From Boston to LA next week the price would be 46,000 points in a roomette vs 35,000 points in the current scheme.  For a trip November 12 the fare would be just 27,000 points.

On the surface, this does not seem bad at all.  I think I like it, in fact.  

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/27/15 09:09 by Chessie1963.

Date: 08/27/15 09:23
Author: korotaj

How about California corridor trains--1500 points to go from end to end on any of the three routes is (was?) a very good deal.

Date: 08/27/15 09:43
Author: joemvcnj

Since it seems it gets so much better for our free trips, why in the world are they doing it ?

Date: 08/27/15 09:44
Author: Cole42

I think I like this too.  Just messing around, a roomette for the same round trip I took last month that used 30,000 pts would now be 22,500 pts.  I guess it depends on the length of your trip or if it was one zone or more whether it's a better deal.

Date: 08/27/15 09:54

It is not universally better, I am certain.  My guess is that it balances out somewhat, but probably tips toward Amtrak.  There are trips that will cost much more, especially in peak travel periods.  Let's face it, even for next week, travel is tailing off as summer wanes.  And my November date is pre-Thanksgiving travel.  

If you are flexible on dates, you will use fewer points.  If you are not, and/or you want to travel peak, you will no doubt use more.  Actually, that is how it should be done.  It makes sense all around.  

Date: 08/27/15 10:02
Author: Technology-Jeske

I dont think the 100 point minimum for any travel exists with these new set of rules.. or at least i cant find mention of them.

They must be keen on my Bakersfield/Wasco Round trip that gets me 200 points for 7 bux. ;)​

Date: 08/27/15 10:02
Author: inCHI

I can see how it can be better or worse depending on the situation. MY biggest regular use of the current flat-rate point system is for NEC or MIdwest trains where the ticket prices are in higher buckets. So on a Michigan train, 1,500 points worked for a $34 ticket or a $89 (last minute) ticket. Now it looks like that $34 ticket is 1173 points...  not bad. But if circumstances force a last minute trip, the point usage will reflect the dramatic (and ridiculous) increase in fares.

Date: 08/27/15 10:12

The limited Saver fare in the NEC can cost just $52, which you normally need to book pretty far in advance if you are using your money.
Now that would be a 4,000 point trip, regardless of when you book, assuming the train does not get sold out. Under the new system, it will take 1,794 points.
So it now behooves people who want that to be a Rewards trip to do so as far in advance as possible.

Date: 08/27/15 10:19
Author: JimVB

Under the new scheme, I'm assuming that adding a second person to a room will, unlike now, require more points.

Posted from Mobile Safari

Date: 08/27/15 10:25
Author: Cole42

JimVB Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Under the new scheme, I'm assuming that adding a
> second person to a room will, unlike now, require
> more points.
>
> Posted from Mobile Safari

It appears that way, since it costs more money for two than for one in a room.

Date: 08/27/15 10:29
Author: RAAndre

I think the price is for everyone in a room

Date: 08/27/15 11:22
Author: chs7-321

How about the NEC?

Date: 08/27/15 11:29
Author: shuttletrain

Official press release....

WASHINGTON - Amtrak passengers will have more options to earn and redeem points under an extensively improved, simplified Amtrak Guest Rewards program that launches in January 2016.

"This program takes Amtrak Guest Rewards to the next level with improved earnings potential and expanded, simplified redemptions," said Matt Hardison, Amtrak's executive vice president of marketing and sales. "We are confident this program combines what passengers want most - the ability to grow points earnings rapidly with the freedom to use those points in the way that best fits their individual travel needs."

Improvements in the updated Amtrak Guest Rewards program include:
*       No more blackout dates and Acela(r) time-of-day travel restrictions;
*       Bonus points for Acela(r) and Business class travel;
*       Points that never expire with any qualifying account activity within 36 months;
*       A simplified redemption structure for free Amtrak travel based on ticket price instead of zones or routes-as low as 800 points per trip;
*       Redemption opportunities for multi-ride tickets and monthly passes;
*       Ability to book, modify, and cancel reward tickets themselves via Amtrak self-service channels; and
*       A "cash-plus-points" option that provides more flexibility.

Amtrak Guest Rewards has also launched a helpful points estimator tool, which shows customers exactly how many points they will earn for their travel or how many points they will need to redeem for an Amtrak trip.

For more information about the revamped Amtrak Guest Rewards program and to access the points estimator, please visit AmtrakGuestRewards.com/RideOn.

Theodore Picraux
St. Peters, MO
Shuttletrain's Wanderings

Date: 08/27/15 11:39

NEC is just like everything else. Anything earns 2 points per dollar, but no 100 point min. If I went between Princeton Jct and DC with an enroute transfer, that used to get you 200 points. No more.
Non-Acela redeem at 34.5 points per dollar fare. The website has a calculator.
You forfeit 10% of your points if you change it. I do wonder if that applies to cancelling a pre-Jan 26 4,000 point/1-zone trip after Jan 26. 
With an 800 point min to redeem, that means your ticket has to cost at least $23.19 to be a Rewards ticket.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 08/27/15 11:43 by joemvcnj.

Date: 08/27/15 11:46
Author: RevRandy

the new formula will be a real blessing for those traveling from nearer an old zone break point who had to pay for 2 zones before. For example, Buffalo - Chicago (a very reasonable overnight trip) would no longer be based on 2 zones but on price.

Date: 08/27/15 12:07
Author: Jishnu

It would seem that the Acela 500/750 point for certain city pairs may be gone too, though I have not seen any mention of it this way or that anywhere. Time to ask about it on FlyerTalk I guess.

Did you notice the across the board 10% penalty applied to any points thata re refunded for whatever reason? So any cancellation of an award trip will incur a 10% points penalty.

Looks like basically you will actually have to spend $5000 to get to Select Plus. No more silly points runs to grab those 100 points for $7.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/27/15 12:09 by Jishnu.

Date: 08/27/15 13:46
Author: irhoghead

This new formula may work out better for some, but the one zone trip my family normally makes in a roomette just about doubled in price from 15,000 to 27,358.50.  Sure makes Southwest Airlines a much more viable option.

Date: 08/27/15 14:52

irhoghead Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> This new formula may work out better for some, but
> the one zone trip my family normally makes in a
> roomette just about doubled in price from 15,000
> to 27,358.50.  Sure makes Southwest Airlines a
> much more viable option.

Wow.  That would be a $793 roomette fare to use that many points.  I did not know a one zone fare went that high.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/27/15 14:53 by Chessie1963.

Date: 08/27/15 15:05
Author: ColdRainAndSnow

The stratospheric "new normal" for some Roomette high buckets has breached $1K. Common to see $950+ Zephyr Roomettes during peak. The highest I've seen so far for a Roomette on Western LDTs is $1,070. The Amtrak pricing analysts need to put down the crack pipe. 

Edit: Clarification: Referring to origin-to-terminus trips like CHI-EMY and CHI-LAX.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/27/15 15:08 by ColdRainAndSnow.

Current Page:1 of 3

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0939 seconds