Home Open Account Help 219 users online

Passenger Trains > Body of missing Amtrak passenger found in Nevada

Date: 08/29/15 16:46
Body of missing Amtrak passenger found in Nevada
Author: JDLX

Cross post from the Western Discussion Board, I figured it should be here as well-

Elko Daily Free Press, our local newspaper, is reporting a Union Pacific employee found somewhere near Tobar, Nevada (southeast of Wells) this past Tuesday the body of a 25-year old Colorado man who vanished three years ago off an eastbound Amtrak train.  Until the discovery of his remains authorities assumed the man had gotten off the train in Salt Lake City.  

Link to article:

http://elkodaily.com/news/body-of-missing-colorado-man-found-near-wells/article_9ef05729-7fc0-5d49-9b69-84d197872767.html

Jeff Moore
Elko, NV

Date: 08/29/15 17:21
Re: Body of missing Amtrak passenger found in Nevada
Author: P

Dang....

Date: 08/29/15 17:22
Author: webmaster

How close to the tracks was his body found?  Hard to believe it took this long for someone to run into the body if it was close to the tracks.

Todd Clark
Canyon Country, CA
Trainorders.com

Date: 08/29/15 17:56
Author: howeld

The person was lost in July. At those summertime temperatures the remains wouldn't have lasted long and even less if found by larger animals that would spread the remains around under the brush. Chances are only a MOW worker would ever be stopped out walking the tracks and it took 3 years for something to catch a workers eye that caused a closer look.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 08/29/15 21:25
Author: DNRY122

Whenever a forensic case arises where "dental records" are used to identify a body, I think of our family dentist, who is sometimes called in on cases like this.  I can imagine that some of the situations are rather nasty, but I honor him for doing his part to solve mysteries.

Date: 08/29/15 21:26
Author: Cupolau

On one occasion I had a friend of mine in Elko tell me about a transient that fell off a SP freight back in the '80's near Beowawe. My friend  happened to be on a back road and he noticed this guy who had been there for about three days.The poor guy could barely walk. He drove him to the hospital in Elko.   Rather remote country from Reno eastward. I travel to Elko about five times a year either by train or car and if he jumped from the train he possibly could have been dragged away from the tracks by a large animal or attempted to walk to safety. Also 5 and 6 go through that area in early morning.  

Date: 08/29/15 23:27
Author: ProAmtrak

Did that guy your friend find make it?

Posted from Android

Date: 08/30/15 17:11
Author: Cupolau

Believe it or not he did. He was banged up pretty bad and suffering from dehydration.

Date: 08/30/15 18:26
Author: Lackawanna484

The family of the deceased will appreciate knowing, at least.

The idea that the guy is out there someplace, suffering from anmnesia, or imprisoned by a polygamist tribe or sheep herders, etc has to be devastating. At least they have finality.

Date: 08/30/15 18:57
Author: FrensicPic

I'd look at the link but I don't want to play "20 Questions"!

Date: 08/30/15 23:32
Author: chakk

There is also a first-hand report on amtraktrains.com that a passenger on 5(29) died in their sleep in their sleeping car roomette in eastern Colorao early this morning.

Date: 08/31/15 10:59
Author: up833

Which came first: Reality or TV shows?
Roger B

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0615 seconds