Home Open Account Help 300 users online

Passenger Trains > Amtrak P42 Cab shots, anyone?

Date: 08/31/15 11:56
Amtrak P42 Cab shots, anyone?
Author: tplowman91

If anyone has their own personal pictures of up in the cab of Amtrak P42's, post them here! I'd love to see!
Even P40's will work fine for me. I'd like to see a picture of the old P40DC green screen!

Applicable Locmotives:
P32-ACDM
P32-8BWH
P40DC
P42DC

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/31/15 12:18 by tplowman91.

Date: 08/31/15 12:03
Re: Amtrak P42 Cab shots, anyone?
Author: miralomarail

I have P32 Cab shots

Date: 08/31/15 12:11

Bring em on!

Date: 08/31/15 13:31
Author: BoilingMan

I could take them for you- do you need something specific?
SR

Date: 08/31/15 14:28

I'd like an up close view of the controls, from a Head's down perspective, looking down at 180 degrees. I'd also like a few shots from the cab sitting normally at the controls looking straight forward. Any other shots you got, great!

Date: 08/31/15 14:40
Author: BoilingMan

I don't have my camera w me today- just my phone cam.
If that's good enough I could take them tomorrow.
If you need something better I'll bring the Canon with me next week.
PM me.
SR

Date: 08/31/15 15:00
Author: miralomarail

tplowman91 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Bring em on!

P32 # 501 Engineers View at 8TH Street Yard LA, Ca  Dec 1991

And Firemans Side View

Date: 08/31/15 15:11

I am drooling over this. NICE!

Date: 08/31/15 15:12

Yes, that's fine. Appreciate it!

Date: 08/31/15 19:18
Author: wa4umr

In the first picture I noticed on the left, there was a mag-mount antenna hanging upside down from the ceiling.  I wondered what that was for.  Since this was 1991, I'm guessing it was to improve cell service.  Any comments?

John

Date: 08/31/15 20:02
Author: Cosmo

This what your looking for?

Date: 08/31/15 20:51
Author: Geep

Anyone has any in-cab shots from the new ET44AC's?

Date: 08/31/15 22:33

Nice one! Was this taken on the job? What engine number was this?

Date: 09/01/15 05:47
Author: Setandcentered

It looks like it's the 190 or 199. 5th column from the left, top row. It's always displayed on the left hand "Locomotive Monitor" screen in that box.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/01/15 05:49 by Setandcentered.

Date: 09/01/15 11:33
Author: NSDTK

Really odd not to see a Flow Meter in the 501 shot.

Date: 09/01/15 16:49
Author: EtoinShrdlu

Amtrak doesn't use flowmeters.

Date: 09/01/15 17:40
Author: wcamp1472

Classic Flow meters are most useful for monitoring trains longer than typical passenger trains.
They can be used to assist in guessing the state-of-charge, --- where you have a lot of cars, greater possibility of multiple tiny air leaks, etc.   A typical Flowmeter has a manually adjustable red pointer.  The pointer is set over the black flow-indicator moving needle.   The black needle swings to a high rate of flow during the charging of freight trains, it slowly moves lower and lower as the trainline charges-up ---- eventually reaching a stable-state rate of flow ----  of air out of the  trainline (quiescent leakage).

As the freight train's extensive brake pipe, and associated reservoirs, fill up to the charge pressure, the flow of air decreases, finally assuming a quiescent, steady leakrate.  The black needle assumes a stable low flow-rate indication.
In the charged-state of the freight train, the engineer sets the red pointer over the black needle.  [ note: each train is different as to the steady leak-off rates].

While rolling down the tracks, the freight engineer gets valuable flow-rate-of-change info as the black needle slowly moves back under the fixed red 'reference' needle. Again, as the black needle moves back under the red pointer ( after a BP reduction).

For its small size, you want passenger equipment to be virtually air-tight.  Comparatively short trains and short brake pipes, limit the usefulness of the Flow meter information ------ about the small volume of the combined passenger train.

With passenger trains, the pre-departure leakage tests are crucial, so any small leaks are revealed very quickly --- the combined volumes of a couple of dozen coaches is comparatively small (when contemplating the immense BP volume of today's longer freight trains).

Hope this helps
Wes C.

Date: 09/03/15 10:17
Author: EtoinShrdlu

>With passenger trains, the pre-departure leakage tests are crucial, so any small leaks are revealed very quickly --- the combined volumes of a couple of dozen coaches is comparatively small (when contemplating the immense BP volume of today's longer freight trains).

All trains, freight and passenger, must pass the same leakage test when they are first made up: not more than 5 psi/minute. This has been law, not a regulation, for at least 100 years. Brake pipe volume (the length of the train) is irrelevant. Besides, freight brake systems (the control valves) are much more senstive to small leaks than passenger ones.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0628 seconds