Home Open Account Help 300 users online

Passenger Trains > "Hot, Hazy September First..."

Date: 09/01/15 21:40
"Hot, Hazy September First..."
Author: aussiehinz

Around Chicago on this humid afternoon:

1.  The recent removal of the PRR signal bridge at Whiting IN (CP 506), leaves the well known structures along the "North Joint Approach" between Western Avenue Tower A2 and CP Morgan as the sole surviving signal bridges from the PRR era in Chicagoland.  Here;s today's Train #7, the "Empire Builder," just nicely getting underway under the "Panhandle" signal bridge at Racine Avenue. 

2.  The September 1, 2015 version of Amtrak Train #3, the "Southwest Chief," 31 minutes down, passes Western Avenue Metra Station, on the BNSF Chicago Subdivision.

3.  The rush hour is on, as Metra Milwaukee West Line Train #2227 cruises through Bensenville IL.  The new "Quiet Zone" crossings here are a recent development. 

Cheers,

aussiehinz 

Date: 09/01/15 22:57
Re: "Hot, Hazy September First..."
Author: ProAmtrak

Great shots and all I can say is quiet zones suck, I'd rather hear the horns!

Date: 09/01/15 23:46
Author: SAMaase

Good to see 117, but wow, does she need a bath!

117 was out here in San Diego seven years ago providing HEP for a 3751 excursion per my video here: https://youtu.be/0Kb4itTYNNQ

Scott Maase
San Diego, CA

Date: 09/01/15 23:47
Author: msdgbar

All i can tell you is that in my personal opinion quiet zones are very dangerouse. And yes i believe that more people are dead because of it. And i hold these nimbys responsible for it. 

Date: 09/02/15 05:04
Author: howeld

msdgbar Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> All i can tell you is that in my personal opinion
> quiet zones are very dangerouse. And yes i believe
> that more people are dead because of it. And i
> hold these nimbys responsible for it. 

If there was hard data to back up your opinion then Quiet zones would not be allowed anywhere. The engineer will blow horn if needed anyway so if someone is killed they were likely going to be killed horn or no horn.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 09/02/15 06:29
Author: kbmiflyer

Great pictures as always Aussiehinz.  I always enjoy your photos from Chicagoland.  My son and I will be up there this weekend staying not to far from MH tower to check out the 14th Street yard and hopefully see the new Hoosier State. 

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/02/15 11:09 by kbmiflyer.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0461 seconds