Home Open Account Help 319 users online

Passenger Trains > How not to get killed

Date: 09/02/15 18:28
How not to get killed
Author: jonjonjonjon

I just have to share this here from my recent trip to Japan - they know how to make attention-getting signs!
Amtrak's signs are pretty lame in comparison.

Date: 09/02/15 19:00
Re: How not to get killed
Author: GenePoon

Graphic signs in the USA might disturb the effete and oversensitive, who think everybody dies peacefully in their sleep.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/02/15 19:17 by GenePoon.

Date: 09/02/15 19:24
Author: ProAmtrak

Yeah but the Japan signs sure do give you a good view on what happens if you don't follow their laws on the tracks!

Date: 09/02/15 19:28
Author: cchan006

I think this is the right place to post this sign I saw in Japan.

I've seen quite a few pedestrians here in the U.S. almost get hit by cars because of their distracted walking.

Date: 09/02/15 19:45
Author: cchan006

ProAmtrak Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Yeah but the Japan signs sure do give you a good
> view on what happens if you don't follow their
> laws on the tracks!

They aren't really "laws." The signs are public service announcements, not dictated by lawsuits or insurance company harassments. For example, the cute, cartoonish signs about hip level posted on doors of EMUs are for kids, to warn them of the dangers of closing doors. The railroads don't want people to get hurt or die. It's as simple as that.

Date: 09/02/15 21:26
Author: 567Chant

1.5 years ago I was backing from a parking spot.
In my backup camera I spied several young ladies walking toward my vehicle, all engrossed in their phones.
I stopped, and was apalled to see one continue toward my vehicle.
She stopped, a mere two feet from my rear bumper.
Doomed; were're doomed!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/03/15 06:47 by 567Chant.

Date: 09/02/15 21:58
Author: DNRY122

A hundred years ago, streetcars in San Francisco and Los Angeles (other cities, too) were required to have "Eclipse Fenders" on the ends.  These were designed to scoop up unwary pedestrians, who, in those days were most commonly drunks staggering out of downtown saloons.  Some of the preserved cars here in California have these safety devices, including three or four LARy cars at Orange Empire and Muni 1 in San Francisco.  I've had visitors at OERM point to the fender on LARy 665 or 1201 and ask, "Is that a cow-catcher?" and I'll explain that it's a "people catcher" since most cows have enough sense to stay off the streetcar tracks.  I'll go on to "mime" a careless pedestrian wandering in front of the car while yakking on a cell phone, and saying "Oops! Just got hit by a streetcar.  Call you back."

Date: 09/03/15 00:37
Author: dcfbalcoS1

And in todays America, if the people catcher had to be employed the 'victim' would sue anyway because it caused 'great embarrassement that they could not live with'. I guess they would prefer death or dismemberment.

Date: 09/03/15 03:27
Author: andersonb109

What's next?  Video display for texts in cars? Oh wait.

Date: 09/03/15 07:42
Author: 2839Canadian

On ex-Erie near Bingamton, NY

Date: 09/03/15 08:31
Author: Lackawanna484

In NY, a sign like that may allow the property owner to file defiant trespass charges. 

Photography on any company property without permission is becoming a major issue.  Some farms, slaughterhouses etc have ordered up laws specifically targeting unauthorized photography.

Date: 09/03/15 12:54
Author: Out_Of_Service

Jon did you take your bike to Japan ??? :-)

Date: 09/03/15 18:38
Author: RuleG

cchan006 Wrote:
> I think this is the right place to post this sign
> I saw in Japan.
>
Great sign & graphics!

Caption for the part of the sign where the dude engrossed in his phone bumps into the young woman: "From a distance, I thought he was cute, but he's so into his phone, he didn't even notice me.  I'm not giving him my phone number.  What a jerk!"

Date: 09/04/15 01:33
Author: hasbt77fst

Taken at the Seabrook, MD station quite some years ago. The sign didn't last too long.

Date: 09/04/15 06:35
Author: jonjonjonjon

Out_Of_Service Wrote:
> Jon did you take your bike to Japan ??? :-)

No - I relied on bullet train transport!
Wish I had a bike, but it was too hot for that.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0451 seconds