Home Open Account Help 240 users online

Passenger Trains > New Bagg on 6 (8)

Date: 09/08/15 17:12
New Bagg on 6 (8)
Author: BoilingMan

I think this may be the first one in revenue service on 6?
SR

Warning: they're about 4hrs late by me (Dutch Flat CA)

Date: 09/08/15 18:36
Re: New Bagg on 6 (8)
Author: GenePoon

Unplanned.  New baggage 61022 was rushed into service when the regular, assigned baggage, AMTK 1730, had an electrical issue.  The train was further delayed when attempting to hook up the new baggage car, an HEP receptacle and cable were found burned, and replacement was required.  Initial terminal delay: 3:42.

Date: 09/08/15 18:55

Ah
I knew there was a mechanical issue, but had assumed it was a locomotive.
I walked out to Gorge to roll 'em by- M Jones at the helm.
SR

Date: 09/09/15 09:24
Author: joemvcnj

Why not put the defective baggage car on the rear with no HEP and go ?

Date: 09/09/15 10:57

The main reasons for wanting the car forward would be crew access (thru the transition dorm) and proper spotting for stops down the line. 
But my guess (and this is purely a guess) is that the problems they encountered came one by one, and next thing you know- you're 3+ hours late!  Had they known the entirety of what they faced when they started, they may very well have hung it on the rear..
SR

Date: 09/09/15 11:40
Author: jst3751

GenePoon Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Unplanned.  New baggage 61022 was rushed into
> service when the regular, assigned baggage, AMTK
> 1730, had an electrical issue.  The train was
> further delayed when attempting to hook up the new
> baggage car, an HEP receptacle and cable were
> found burned, and replacement was required.
>  Initial terminal delay: 3:42.

Was the bad receptacle on the new baggage car, or on what it was connecting to? Have to wonder then if AMTK 1730 was actually fine with the problem being in the cable.

Date: 09/09/15 14:46
Author: jp1822

And they couldn't find a replacement for the replacement........but instead just inconvenience passengers? 

Date: 09/09/15 15:22

Jeez.  Okay, look, curb the contempt for just a minute-  here's a cautionary tale.

Way back when, I held a spot on 3&4 (LSA).  Once, at the last minute, we needed to change out the diner in LA.  It delayed our departure by an hour or so, I can't remember exactly how long.  There wasn't a TO site at the time (Hell, there wasn't even an internet-  I'm an old guy!), but had there been, odds are there'd have been a sarcastic remark, such as yours, along the lines of "Two hours?  How hard could it be to change out a diner?!!)

Here's the back story:  The diner had just been loaded and the waiters were busy setting up their pantry...  when the Steward had a massive heard attack and died!  Right there in the kitchen!  DEAD.
It was going to be a couple of hours to get a coroner out there.
So.
They robbed the diner off #2 (Sunset) and pulled it along side.  We covered the body and everyone, waiters, train attendants, etc. formed a "bucket line".  We transferred everything to the new diner and then it was cut into #4's train.  We worked as fast as we could- really!

I'm going to stick my neck out here and guess not one of the delayed passengers said, "Oh great!  I'll bet the Steward died!".

Railroading is not one of the exact sciences.

I'm hardly one of Oakland Mechanical's fans, but unless you were there....
SR

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/09/15 15:25 by BoilingMan.

Date: 09/09/15 15:28
Author: Pullman

You just do what you have to do. Such is life...

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0584 seconds