Home Open Account Help 341 users online

Passenger Trains > Amtrak and "comfort animals" - time for a change?

Date: 10/05/15 17:41
Amtrak and "comfort animals" - time for a change?
Author: Lackawanna484

Amtrak's guidelines specifically prohibit the transportation of comfort animals.  Unlike service animals (trained to perform a specific task for a person with a disability), comfort animals are described as providing emotional support or other assistance to people.  In several states, and in recent federal court cases, comfort animals have been given certain legal status.  Perhaps Amtrak will need to reconsider its absolute ban.

The NY Times reports that two universities have settled federal lawsuits after the schools denied requests for comfort animals (the students' pets from home).  Other schools are scrambling to produce new policies and settle complaints. One distinction is that student housing which was financed with federal assistance, which is a huge % of dorms, must follow federal policy as it applies to people with disabilities. So, panic attacks qualify, as long as a health provider or shaman agrees the animal might be helpful in resolving or reducing the attacks. Dogs, cats, bats, pythons, rats, the list is almost without limits.

Compromise helps. One woman's six foot python wanted live mice, but the university prohibited feeding of live animals. The python had to settle for frozen mice, etc. Another school requires separate but equal laundry facilities for cat and dog owners to reduce cross contamination.

If Amtrak's facilities are partly financed by the federal government, it would seem that a lawsuit to force equality of access isn't far off.

Amtrak's rules

NY Times article

Date: 10/05/15 18:21
Re: Amtrak and "comfort animals" - time for a change?
Author: Out_Of_Service

my comfort animal ...

Date: 10/05/15 19:47
Author: CPR_4000

Um, your comfort animal makes me uncomfortable. :-)

Date: 10/05/15 20:29
Author: tinytrains

Noooo.....Not Snakes on a Train!

Scott Schifer
Torrance, CA
TinyTrains Website

Date: 10/05/15 21:53
Author: Out_Of_Service

tinytrains Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Noooo.....Not Snakes on a Train!

why ??? ... didn't ya ever hear of " Snakes on a Plane" :-)

Date: 10/06/15 05:28
Author: rrman6

"Close the vestibule doors QUICKLY"!!!

Date: 10/06/15 07:24
Author: nm2320

Good luck bringing your "comfort" animal to work at the restaurant, fast food shop, hospital OR, locomotive, airplane, helicopter, bus, factory, construction site. 

Date: 10/06/15 07:52
Author: nm2320

While the animals indeed provide comfort, how about trying deep breathing and other calming techniques which can be used anytime and  anywhere and empower you?

Date: 10/06/15 08:06
Author: BAB

Comfort animals are not always needed quite a few are just pets the owners somehow got away with having some snake oil prescribing doctor to say they needed one. Have seen the little ones be viscous to the point the owner was told leave and don't come back with the dog.
They are not trained to be any more than just a pet I can just speak of those I have seen.  To have them in dorms is BS too same reason just like unisex bathrooms now in the works.

Date: 10/06/15 08:21
Author: NSClevelandLine

I wonder if this will be just as easy to get as a handicap sticker these days...

Posted from Android

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/06/15 10:49 by NSClevelandLine.

Date: 10/06/15 10:03
Author: Chestnut

I am legally blind and I have a guide dog, this is always a problem for us. I take Amtrak once a week. It's common to have an untrained pet riding on the same train. I do come across legitimate service dog teams at times but it's rare. When I call Amtrak for my tickets they always ask what tasks my guide does for me which is good, but people lie. The problem is with online service dog scam registration places that give people wrong information and encourage to take fluffy everywhere with you and you can buy a service dog vest off eBay or anywhere in that matter. My guide and I were attacked twice in a Home Depot recently. It's definitely a huge problem for those of us who rely on our dogs to be more independent. Chestnut my guide cost roughly $90,000 to be fully trained. A dog attack could take him out of service and in return my independence and safety is in jeopardy not including the financial burden on the school. People feel so entitled and most don't care how it hurts those with legitimate disabilities. It's offensive. I work for a guide dog organization so I'm well aware of this huge issue.
As for animals other than dogs the DOJ changed the law only recognizing dogs as service animals and at times miniature horses for guide work.

Posted from iPhone

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 10/06/15 10:07 by Chestnut.

Date: 10/06/15 12:02
Author: DocJones

Just think, with a comfort animal like that snake, how much room you would have on the photo line for a big run-by.
Have fun, be safe,
Bruce "Doc" Jones  Sierra Madre CA

Date: 10/07/15 19:33
Author: steve_misky

My s&w .40 brings me comfort and it's concealed thus doesn't offend anyone..

Posted from Android

Date: 10/07/15 19:45
Author: FrensicPic

Chestnut Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I am legally blind and I have a guide dog, this is
> always a problem for us. I take Amtrak once a
> week. It's common to have an untrained pet riding
> on the same train. I do come across legitimate
> service dog teams at times but it's rare. When I
> call Amtrak for my tickets they always ask what
> tasks my guide does for me which is good, but
> people lie. The problem is with online service dog
> scam registration places that give people wrong
> information and encourage to take fluffy
> everywhere with you and you can buy a service dog
> vest off eBay or anywhere in that matter. My guide
> and I were attacked twice in a Home Depot
> recently. It's definitely a huge problem for those
> of us who rely on our dogs to be more independent.
> Chestnut my guide cost roughly $90,000 to be fully
> trained. A dog attack could take him out of
> service and in return my independence and safety
> is in jeopardy not including the financial burden
> on the school. People feel so entitled and most
> don't care how it hurts those with legitimate
> disabilities. It's offensive. I work for a guide
> dog organization so I'm well aware of this huge
> issue.
> As for animals other than dogs the DOJ changed the
> law only recognizing dogs as service animals and
> at times miniature horses for guide work.
>
> Posted from iPhone

That's a concern I (and probably many others) hadn't considered. Beyond the usual dog (on human) bite. Something to think about.
Thanks for mentioning it.
John

Date: 10/07/15 20:03
Author: jp1822

My godson and his sister are scared to death of a dog. They are both young and I have encouraged their parents to try and get them used to dogs, even using mine that has been through obedience school and wouldn't hurt a thing. I am a dog lover so this is a really hard combination for me at times. Since we have a dog, I often have to go to their house to visit because they know we have "a dog." I am sure they are not alone. It was very awkward for me to witness something like this with my godson and his sister. I don't know how they would be able to travel by train if they knew a dog was going to be there. Even the site of a dog makes them uncomfortable. My initial though - just have them go to another car. But honestly, this wouldn't work. I know guide dogs are a must and have complete compassion. And as I mentioned, as a dog lover myself, I would love to perhaps see a dog on a train. So I am really torn on this train. I will say that if someone were to sit next to me with a snake - or even be in another room with one (roomette/bedroom) - I'd be OFF the train!   

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1165 seconds