Home Open Account Help 262 users online

Passenger Trains > Maine Eastern Railroad

Date: 10/06/15 10:58
Maine Eastern Railroad
Author: poffcapt

It came to my attention the other day that Maine Eastern Railroad will run its last few excursions from Brunswick to Rockland, Maine over the next two weekends. What is distressing is that is a new operator for the freight carrier next year, and the operator apparently has no interest in running a passenger excursion service over this line, so if you are in the area, better ride it now.

One of the members of my NRHS Chapter has a camp in Maine. He had a good idea. He wrote in part:

"Good idea.  We are in Maine now at our camp...two miles from the tracks and if out in my kayak on the St. George River I can see the train pass over the bridge in Thomaston......This is a really beautiful and interesting train route with many bridges across both fresh and salt water marshes, ponds and rivers.......The state should have required passenger service in the new contract but evidently no such thinking.  In my opinion, an operation like Ed Ellis's IOWA PACIFIC would be a great operator, even under a sub contract with the new operator which is allowed.  Even the present equipment of 50's passenger cars and the FT9's would be worth keeping, if available.....Any one know Ed Ellis????    Anyway, It will be autumn in Maine and Rockland is a good visit via train....esp. art museum and art galleries.....many shops...ocean waterfront, etc.  and many restaurants.   Also the WWF is a great little narrow gauge!"

So, if you are watching, Mr. Ellis, here is a business thought for you.

Date: 10/06/15 11:11
Re: Maine Eastern Railroad
Author: NGotwalt

Be nice if Amtrak could extend a Downeaster. I'm sure there are many good reasons why they can't, but it would be nice.
Cheers,
Nick

Date: 10/06/15 11:53
Author: GenePoon

NGotwalt Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Be nice if Amtrak could extend a Downeaster. I'm
> sure there are many good reasons why they can't,
> but it would be nice.

One prime reason: the Downeasters, their operation, station stops and route are not controlled by Amtrak.

They are wholly the responsibility of the Northern New England Passenger Rail Authority.  Amtrak is an
over-the-rails contract operator only...they do not even provide the on-board food and Business Class
service.

It is of concern that the state did not require a passenger rail service as part of the new contract,
which was won by Pan Am Railways.  If anything, this tipped the scales AGAINST an operator such
as Iowa Pacific which would have wanted to run a passenger service that would have had inevitable
startup costs.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/06/15 11:54 by GenePoon.

Date: 10/06/15 12:17
Author: LiveWire

Previous news reports indicate the new operator will be Central Maine & Quebec, not Pan Am.

Date: 10/06/15 12:28
Author: NYC4096

I find it disappointing to note that Amtrak service is not continued north from Brunswick, to Augusta, Waterville, and Bangor, Maine.   There is a reasonably large population and tourism industry in that area that could benefit from rail service.   Another eastern US state capitol without Amtrak services?  Why? 

It appears to me that the Bangor to Boston/Worcester area and beyond, resembles other areas of the US.  Chicago to/from Detroit comes to mind as a possible example of a major city connected by corridor in an established, well-traveled area with a reasonably-sized population.

Date: 10/06/15 13:05
Author: wtsherman100

What reasonably sized city are you talking about?  Augusta (18K)?  Bangor (32K)? 

Date: 10/06/15 13:09

Maybe Lima, Ohio (pop. 38k) should fight for a return of service, too.

Date: 10/06/15 13:38
Author: GenePoon

LiveWire Wrote:
> Previous news reports indicate the new operator
> will be Central Maine & Quebec, not Pan Am.

That, at least, may provide a little hope for the future.  Pan Am would have
provided none at all.

THANKS!

Date: 10/06/15 15:20
Author: Lackawanna484

LiveWire Wrote:
> Maybe Lima, Ohio (pop. 38k) should fight for a
> return of service, too.

also Phoenix AZ and Las Vegas NV

Date: 10/07/15 04:38
Author: CPR_4000

I hate to say it, but some of these trains carry only a busload or two of passengers, like that Vermonter that hit the rock last week. Four car train carrying 55 passengers? Yes it fills out south of Springfield and during peak travel periods, but it costs something to haul that empty equipment a few hundred miles a day. How many busloads ride between Bangor and Portland every day?

Date: 10/07/15 08:18
Author: sums007

CPR_4000 Wrote:
> I hate to say it, but some of these trains carry
> only a busload or two of passengers, like that
> Vermonter that hit the rock last week. Four car
> train carrying 55 passengers? Yes it fills out
> south of Springfield and during peak travel
> periods, but it costs something to haul that empty
> equipment a few hundred miles a day. How many
> busloads ride between Bangor and Portland every
> day?

Five.  Two per day between Brunswick and Portland.​ I don't know how loaded they all are, though.

Date: 10/07/15 12:55

GenePoon Wrote:
>
> That, at least, may provide a little hope for the
> future.  Pan Am would have
> provided none at all.
>

CM&Q is part of Fortress, as is FEC and All Aboard Florida.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0733 seconds