Home Open Account Help 301 users online

Passenger Trains > Indianapolis stay

Date: 11/24/15 06:58
Indianapolis stay
Author: Spongebob-Trainguy

My wife and I want to take the Hoosier State business class round trip from Chicago to Indianapolis and back. Is there a convenient ( close to the train station ) economical place to stay in Indianapolis?

Date: 11/24/15 07:03
Re: Indianapolis stay
Author: NewRiverGeorge

There is a Crown Plaza hotel right there "under the tracks" at union station, (123 West Louisiana, 317-631-2221) or many others within a short 5-10 block cab ride.  Since it is also convenient to the convention center, you would want to pick a date that does not conflict with either a home sports event or a convention.  Pricing is typical of what you find in any urban area these days.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 11/24/15 07:27 by NewRiverGeorge.

Date: 11/24/15 12:35
Author: dcautley

The crowne Plaza is nice, but NOT cheap, and you *will* hear trains.

Posted from Android

Date: 11/24/15 14:00
Author: kevink

I've stayed at Le Meridien about two blocks north of the station on Illinois Street. http://www.lemeridienindianapolis.com/

Be sure to check with the hotel staff as some rooms use a loft arrangement with a spiral staircase to access the sleeping area.

I've learned that nothing in Downtown, Anywhere, USA is cheap. 

Date: 11/24/15 14:08
Author: GenePoon

The Crowne Plaza isn't low cost.  I'd suggest planning a bit of a longer stay than just overnight,
to visit the city (there HAS to be more reason to visit than just to ride the train back and
forth!).  You might also want to splurge for what nobody has mentioned at the Crowne
Plaza: the TRAIN CAR ROOMS.  There are in old heavyweight cars, converted to hotel rooms.
These aren't tiny Pullman rooms and open sections; the cars have been gutted and regular,
comfortable hotel rooms built inside (within the width of the car body). 

TripAdvisor photos (not too many railfans have photos), attribution required by TripAdvisor.  Live links:

Exterior Train Car photo of Crowne Plaza Indianapolis Downtown (Union Station) is courtesy of TripAdvisor

Interior Train Car Room photo of Crowne Plaza Indianapolis Downtown (Union Station) is courtesy of TripAdvisor

Date: 11/24/15 15:37
Author: santafedan

There are some fine museums within walking distance.  The Eitlejorg Museum of Western Art is out standing. They also have a very nice train display at the current time.

Date: 11/24/15 18:18
Author: wirelessenabled

I stayed at the Crowne Plaza in early October. 

Price was $140 per night but I was there for a convention so they probably were gouging us because of that.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0511 seconds