Home Open Account Help 267 users online

Passenger Trains > Buying AGR points Bonus???

Date: 11/24/15 20:06
Buying AGR points Bonus???
Author: BRAtkinson

As usual, I'm already planning my vacation in early May (to avoid unrestrained kids and packed summer trains) using AGR points for a joyride on Amtrak.  In past years, I've bought anywhere from 5K to 10K points to get enough to do a 2-zone or 3-zone round trip redemption with roomette all the way.

Knowing I'll be short on points when I want to get everything booked before, or maybe after the Jan 24 'change over' to the new AGR rules, I checked out what it would cost.  I recall $275 in previous years for 10K points.  Today, it's $377 for 10K points + 2500 bonus points.  In previous years, the bonus points truly WERE free at various times during the year (usually spring and fall, however, I don't recall that offer in 2015).  So, for 12500 points it works out to 33.15 points per dollar paid.  Paying $188.50 for 5,000 + 1,000 'bonus' works out to 31.83 points per dollar.  Of course, the 'bonus' points period ends this year.  So if 10,000 points goes back to $275, it works out to 36.36 points per dollar. 

Interestingly, the 'buy points' screen doesn't read "Free Bonus Points", but only "Bonus Points" whether you want them or not.  In the end, the 'bonus' is no longer FREE.  As the saying goes..."Caveat Emptor" (Let the buyer beware).   

As of Jan 24, I believe that buying points will no longer be an option as 'points + money' will accomplish the same thing.  So now I have a dilemma...buy points and book before 1/24 using the 3-zone method, or use points + cash after the 24th.  The longer I wait, the higher the price as the rooms get sold.  And when using points + cash, will I get 2-points per dollar on the cash part (plus AGR card points)?

Any strategies or suggestions on which way to do it?

Date: 11/24/15 20:36
Re: Buying AGR points Bonus???
Author: RevRandy

OK -- first what you need to do is figure whether you want to do the old or new redemption scheme.

plan out your trip. This will give you the number of points you need under the present (old) scheme.

Then, go to Amtrak.com and make the reservations you want until you have the dollar total for the trip

then go to <http://agr.amtrak.com/rideon/#&gt; and scroll down to find the point estimator (new sceheme) Plug in the dollar total and find out how many points will take.

Now you know which scheme uses the least number of points. Then figure out how many points (miles) you need to purchase (including the "bonus").

Don't count on the points+cash to be up and running in time to make your reservations enough in advance.

Hope this helps.

Date: 11/24/15 21:07
Re: Buying AGR points Bonus???
Author: FrensicPic

Last spring, the purchase price of points went from $0.0275 to $0.0377 per point.
At the current rate, 15,000 points will cost you $565.50 (no promo). If you purchase the 15k points during the current 30% promo, you get an additional 4,500 points (19,500 total) for the same $565.50 which lowers the point cost to $0.0290 per point. It appears to me you are indeed getting a bonus.
John

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/24/15 21:09 by FrensicPic.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0394 seconds