Home Open Account Help 363 users online

Passenger Trains > 4 digit 1000 Amtrak trains

Date: 11/25/15 05:13
4 digit 1000 Amtrak trains
Author: ddavies

This morning I see a 1181 NE Regional approaching Wilmington southbound.  Have never seen 1000 series before, are these Turkey Day extras?

Date: 11/25/15 05:47
Re: 4 digit 1000 Amtrak trains
Author: chuchubob

ddavies Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> This morning I see a 1181 NE Regional approaching
> Wilmington southbound.  Have never seen 1000
> series before, are these Turkey Day extras?

11xx trains are Holiday Extras with Amtrak equipment.  On Sunday 10xx trains are Holiday Extras with leased commuter equipment.

Date: 11/25/15 05:51
Author: twropr

The short answer to your question is "Yes;" however, the long answer is interesting.
Back on Oct. 26 Amtrak had temporarily discontinued NY-WAS weekday train #181 and added three NY-WAS coaches to the head-end of PALMETTO #89.  During the holiday period, projections were that there would be too much overflow business to run a combined #89, so the NY-WAS train under #181's old schedule (more-or-less) was given the designation of #1181.  It runs Tue, Wed. and Fri. this week.

Andy

ddavies Wrote:

Date: 11/25/15 06:17

Thanks.

Date: 11/25/15 09:17
Author: MartyBernard

ddavies Wrote:

Photos?

Marty Bernard

Date: 11/25/15 09:35
Author: Lackawanna484

chuchubob Wrote:
> ddavies Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > This morning I see a 1181 NE Regional
> approaching
> > Wilmington southbound.  Have never seen 1000
> > series before, are these Turkey Day extras?
>
> 11xx trains are Holiday Extras with Amtrak
> equipment.  On Sunday 10xx trains are Holiday
> Extras with leased commuter equipment.

In prior years, Amtrak has played with the fares to drive a lot of local (BOS-WAS) passengers onto the commuter equipment if that works for their destination.  This practice allows them to use longer distance (Richmond, Newport News, etc) trains for longer distance passengers.  Good idea, and it recognizes that the commuter equipment isn't going to be as comfortable.

Date: 11/25/15 11:27
Author: bandob

I just took a look at BAL to NYP on Sunday, Nov.29. LOTS of sold-out trains. Commuter equipment, when available,  going for $136.00 

Interestingly, ONE business class seat on ACELA 2258 available at $154.00.

Bet it won't last long.

B&OB

Date: 11/25/15 14:46

> Photos?
>
> Marty Bernard
>
>  
Not trackside, just looking at the computer monitor at Home.  :-(

Date: 11/28/15 09:45
Author: SCspotter

Also, don't forget, on the West Coast you have Pacific Surfliner trains 1761/1790 that operate reguarly every weekend and any holidays. 

Date: 11/28/15 11:38
Author: jp1822

Perhaps a little off topic, but the discontinuance, or consolidation, of passengers to the Palmetto is not the most ideal for monthly pass riders between NYP and Philly (and intermediate points), let alone further on south to Washington DC.

Not sure if Amtrak has a pulse on its monthly pass riders yet after all these years.

The hidden agenda I think is to still get passengers to use NJT and SEPTA. But Amtrak is MUCH quicker and the employer foots the bill so cost is often not even a consideration in the least!!!! However, with the consolidation, this also opens 

I had a consulting project in center city Philly and was a monthly pass rider on the NEC travelling north to south into Philly in the morning. The mornings were trickier than the evening commute home.....

At the time, the Palmetto and the Carolinian were not an option for monthly pass holders, even though the trains had plenty of availability this early in the route.....

The the biggest gain, - it opens "slots" at rush hour in/out of NYP. But it has not been capitalized on yet......

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0592 seconds