Home Open Account Help 323 users online

Passenger Trains > Metrolink/UP Double Track on Hold, Van Nuys-Chatsworth

Date: 11/28/15 14:36
Metrolink/UP Double Track on Hold, Van Nuys-Chatsworth
Author: casco17

There is an LA Times article today [11/28/15], about a double track project put on hold, between CP Raymer (Van Nuys/Northridge) and CP Bernson (near Chatsworth).  It is mentioned here because LA Metro, not UP, is in charge of the project.  Evidently the impacted residents weren't given sufficient notification.
The article goes on to say that Metro has begun additional community outreach, and a local elected representative said another proposal is being considered.  Hmmm...maybe the double track will be extended for only part of the distance, for that section that runs through non-residential (industrial) areas.

Date: 11/28/15 23:21
Re: Metrolink/UP Double Track on Hold, Van Nuys-Chatsworth
Author: CPRR

The fact that these people are holding the entire project on hold is crazy. When they bought the homes, the real estate agent had to disclose that they are next to a active rail line, and about 1/2 mile from the busiest non commercial airport in the US, they do not have a leg to stand on. You all should check out their website:
http://nodoubletrack.com/

Full of half truths, lies, and a complete non understanding of any railroad operations. I really like the oil train crash videos. Hello, no North Dakota crude comes down the Coast Line people....Almost all of the Metrolink crashes they show also fail to point out where caused by people trespassing, failing to stop at a crossing, or texting while driving the train. The complete idiot lunacy is the fact on the web site they want a monorail system build where Metrolink runs. Private company no less.

If it was my decision, I would build the double track up to the residential part (Lindley on the west, Balboa on the east). As traffic comes to these points, hold for clearance, and let the locomotives idle their diesel fumes drifting over the homes. Loud horn blowing would help also.

Transportation will grind to a halt in this country by NIMBYs......

Posted from iPhone

Date: 11/29/15 06:40
Author: RuleG

CPRR Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> Transportation will grind to a halt in this
> country by NIMBYs......
>
> Posted from iPhone

NIMBY resistance to public transportation projects has been overcome in many places.  One example is the Green Line (LRT) connecting Minneapolis to St. Paul.

A far greater threat to mobility in this country is the refusal/inability of Congress to pass a federal transportation bill.

Date: 11/29/15 08:28
Author: bradleymckay

CPRR Wrote:
---------------------
>
> Full of half truths, lies, and a complete non
> understanding of any railroad operations.

Yup.  Even more galling is the clueless public buys into the BS, not knowing any better.  It's like this on most of the crude oil by rail projects as well.  The use of "if's", "might's", "could's", ect. are used to whip up the hysteria and fear.  People then become irrational...

Metrolink better come to it's senses and start the project where it can.  It's going to be a long while before any addition of a second main track happens in a residential area.  It could end up in court and be another 3-5 years before anything gets resolved.

Allen

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/29/15 16:43 by bradleymckay.

Date: 11/29/15 09:36
Author: PHall

It took Metrolink a good 5 years to resolve all of the NIMBY issues with the Perris Valley line.
I don't see this one being resolved any quicker.

Date: 11/29/15 11:03
Author: Out_Of_Service

PHall Wrote:
> It took Metrolink a good 5 years to resolve all of
> the NIMBY issues with the Perris Valley line.
> I don't see this one being resolved any quicker.

another Northridge earthquake and the second track will be the last of their worries ...

Date: 11/29/15 12:42
Author: DNRY122

Not the same part of the San Fernando Valley, but local opposition to extending the Red Line subway past North Hollywood, on a right of way that had been used by Pacific Electric Red Cars until 1953, resulted in their getting a paved busway instead of rail service.  Passenger loading on the bus line is approaching practical capacity, but the residents lost their place in line for rail construction funds.  By contrast, the residents of the San Gabriel Valley supported the Gold Line Foothill Extension from East Pasadena to Azusa on the old Santa Fe 2nd District route, and service is scheduled to open in about three months.  

Had reason prevailed, some of the Red Line trains could have been retrofitted with pantographs and the line continued at grade level to Chatsworth.  In Amsterdam, I was watching their Metro service and noted that some of the trains had pantographs, although they were picking up power from the third rail.  I boarded one of these trains, and found that the line branched off, went to grade level, changed to overhead power and eventually shared track with a tramcar line.  But then, the Dutch are known to have a culture that embraces practicality over dogmatism.

Date: 11/30/15 07:15
Author: mopac1978

DNRY122 Wrote:

> Had reason prevailed, some of the Red Line trains
> could have been retrofitted with pantographs and
> the line continued at grade level to Chatsworth.
>  In Amsterdam, I was watching their Metro service
> and noted that some of the trains had pantographs,
> although they were picking up power from the third
> rail.  I boarded one of these trains, and found
> that the line branched off, went to grade level,
> changed to overhead power and eventually shared
> track with a tramcar line.  But then, the Dutch
> are known to have a culture that embraces
> practicality over dogmatism.

Hmmm, I seem to recall some kind of similar operation here in the US, yea, several now that I think about it. Why yes of course, the CTA did this on the Skokie Swift.  And on the Evanston line.  And let's not forget New Haven at New Rochelle. 

Date: 11/30/15 11:50
Author: DNRY122

We could add the Boston Blue Line, and, going back in history, the Key System in the San Francisco Bay Area.  Mixing streetcars with rapid transit trains is done in Cleveland east of downtown, where the former Shaker Heights Rapid Transit lines, which operated with PCC cars for many years, shared track and overhead with rapid transit cars.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0587 seconds