Home Open Account Help 356 users online

Passenger Trains > Perris Valley Line (PVL) South Perris Station

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

Date: 11/30/15 10:40
Perris Valley Line (PVL) South Perris Station
Author: alco-pa

(1) Recent construction Metrolink South Perris Station on CASE Road.
(2) CP Mapes MP 85.4 looking T/T Westward end of CTC.
(3) CP Mapes looking T/T Eastward end of track, I-215 and Highway 74 and  Romoland beyond...

Date: 11/30/15 12:09
Re: Perris Valley Line (PVL) South Perris Station
Author: MartyBernard

Is the "station" in your first photo as far as theywill go (at least for now)?  In the third photo are they building a yard for over-night and weekend train storage?

Thankd for the posting.

Marty Bernard

Date: 11/30/15 12:22
Author: alco-pa

I think so. On Both.

MC
GCrY
MP 6.7

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/30/15 12:22 by alco-pa.

Date: 11/30/15 14:15
Author: mundo

Yes, a layover yard for 91 line trains that now layover in Riverside.

This is as far as money would go.  Needs to go a bit further east to Winchester, to pick up folks now living north of Temecula.

In fact they were not going to extend beyond downtown Perris, until a County Supervisor from the area, pointed out that they can get traffic off the 215 and not drive through Perris.  A large lot, something like 700 cars in South Perris,  at the border of what has been known as Sun City. Now its part of the City of Menifee.

Shortage of money does not allow proper station protection from the weather.   The Moreno Valley/March Air Base will have NO protection.

Course always find funds for a highway off ramp!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/30/15 15:53 by mundo.

Date: 11/30/15 14:36
Author: msdgbar

Yes but if you build it will they come? Thats the big question. We'll see.

Date: 11/30/15 15:54

As much as I like rail, feel this line will be a failure.

To long a story for  TO.

Date: 11/30/15 19:27
Author: PHall

mundo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> As much as I like rail, feel this line will be a
> failure.
>
> To long a story for  TO.

It will be a failure if there is no mid-day or reverse commute service.
As it's scheduled right now there will be 3 trains to LA in the morning and 3 trains from LA in the evening.
A couple of DMU's like they use on the Sprinter between Escondido and Oceanside would work nicely for mid-day service between Riverside and South Perris.

Date: 11/30/15 21:18
Author: daylight

I agree with mondo and PHall.

It had potential until Riverside County Transportation gave in to the NIMBYs and eliminated the stop directly across the street from the University of California Riverside campus.

Instead this will be another empty Metrolink train, just like the Orange County train from Fullerton to Laguna Niguel.

It would have some hope if a few trains could go north to San Bernardino then into LA.

Daylight

Date: 11/30/15 21:43
Author: billsdnr

The current plan is for three mid day round trips. As SCRRA has no additional slots on the BNSF yet, the trains will operate from South Perris to Riverside.  

Date: 11/30/15 22:15

This sounds like the traditional start up of a long commuter rail extension.  As ridership builds more trips are added, e.g., a mid-day roundtrip and a reverse commute round trip. You grow the service with the demand.  That scenario has worked many times before in many urban regions.  You don't field a full schedule the first day.  You need to get the potential riders up the learning curve.

Marty Bernard

Date: 11/30/15 23:45
Author: CA_Sou_MA_Agent

daylight Wrote:
> It had potential until Riverside County
> Transportation gave in to the NIMBYs and
> eliminated the stop directly across the street
> from the University of California Riverside
> campus.

Between this and the NIMBYs ruling with an iron fist and halting double track projects through San Clemente and in the western San Fernando Valley, I am convinced more than ever that NIMBYs now rule the world. 

The alternative would be for Metrolink and some of the other governmental agencies to develop a spine.

Funny how NIMBYs are seldom opposed to highway expansion, unless it's the proposed 710 Freeway through South Pasadena.

Date: 12/01/15 05:48
Author: jst3751

CA_Sou_MA_Agent Wrote:
> Funny how NIMBYs are seldom opposed to highway
> expansion, unless it's the proposed 710 Freeway
> through South Pasadena.

Really? What new highways have been built in Southern California in the last 25-40 years? (OC Toll roads excluded.)

Why do you think the I-105 is widely well known as the Century Freeway? Do you know where the eastern terminus was supposed to be?

Date: 12/01/15 09:23
Author: msdgbar

As i see it if Metrolink would run some weekday and the weekend services on the Parris Valley Line like it does on the Orange County Line with connections at Fullerton for those folks coming in from Los Angeles and Oceanside and extintions from the San Bernadino Line and Riverside Lines at Riverside. The Orange Empire Railway Museum would get a lot of customers and establishing more beach connections as well. In my opinion this makes a whole lot of sence but Metrolink just doesn't think outside the box. Lets get Metrolink to think out side the box. Please.

Date: 12/01/15 09:41
Author: TomPlatten

Trains to San Bernardino would be helpful to connect with the San Bernardino line. This would give customers numerous connections to LAUS and intermediate points. The important item is to build ridership on the PVL. This would encourage extentions beyond South Perris--which is pretty stark!!!!

Date: 12/01/15 10:35

Metrolink is already thinking outside the box just to build a line to Perris.

Date: 12/01/15 12:43

Everyone is saying Metrolink did this  or why do they not do something.
Remember Metrolink is only an operating company that operates what its member agencies tell them too.

Each member agency, must come up with the operating money, pay for any improvement and like extending the line to Perris.
The Riverside County Transportion Commission is the one that got various funding's to build the line, purchase the necessary additional locomotives and passenger cars.  Then come up with the daily operating costs.

Each of the commisons also control the money bag for highways, so guess where most of the money goes.

Its not easy to expand service,  when the BNSF says no more trains Riverside-San Bernardino   or   Fullerton - Los Angeles.

When service expands beyond one county agency, then the others must share.  A train Riverside - Los Angeles, must also receive funding
from Orange and LA County.  Or Riverside to San Bernardino,    San Bernardino must chip in for the operating cost.

The Riverside-Los Angeles line has great counts and could use additional trains.  However a great portion of the loading's are at City Of Industry, LA County.
UP says, must provide additional facilities, including finishing the double track on the line.  Costs money.

For folks who want expanded service, contact your county supervisors.  No need to contact Metrolink.

.Again, Metrolink has no funding, only operates what the county agencies provide funding for.

Date: 12/01/15 18:33
Author: RetireMe

Weekend service is not in the current plans to Perris.  

Date: 12/01/15 19:42
Author: CA_Sou_MA_Agent

jst3751 Wrote:
> Really? What new highways have been built in
> Southern California in the last 25-40 years? (OC
> Toll roads excluded.)

That's because land acquisition and construction costs have gone into the stratosphere.  The basic network of freeways has been built.  A lot of others were on the drawing boards (Beach Blvd. in Orange County as one example), but were shelved for a variety of reasons.  The OC toll roads were primarily built over what was rural land as opposed to an urbanized area where hundreds of homes would have had to have been bulldozed.  Had THAT been the case, they probably wouldn't have been built. That's what took the I-105 Freeway so long to be built.  It basically runs along Century Blvd, hence the name, but some people joked that it was taking a century to complete.

I stand by my assertion that NIMBY opposition appears to be a lot less for highway construction than rail projects or other non-highway expenditures.   

> Why do you think the I-105 is widely well known as
> the Century Freeway? Do you know where the eastern
> terminus was supposed to be?

Where Imperial Highway meets the 91?  They built a mini-freeway in Yorba Linda that was supposed to link up with the other one near Marina Del Rey.  It never happened and it never will.  

Date: 12/02/15 00:21
Author: David.Curlee

billsdnr Wrote:
> The current plan is for three mid day round trips.
> As SCRRA has no additional slots on the BNSF yet,
> the trains will operate from South Perris to
> Riverside.  

How long of a leash is BNSF going to have for Metrolink trains blocking Main 3 between CP 704 (new control point west of Highgrove) and Riverside?  I assume they will insist that Perris to Riverside turns use the south siding at Riverside.  Nevertheless, it's only a matter of time before a freight train breaks down on Main 3 rendering the south platform unusable at Riverside.

So then what?  I guess pray the north platform at Riverside has a clear track, then run to Highgrove, with the only option being to switch ends before crossing over to Main 2 and the east leg of the Highgrove wye. 

The lack of controlled CTC sidings on the Perris Line is a complete joke as well. 

Date: 12/02/15 02:26

With out CTC controlled sidings,  no passenger "meets" can be made.  The whole line was done on the "cheap"  yet still costs $248 million. 
This as is all new construction is an "hold up" of the first degree.

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0857 seconds