Home Open Account Help 268 users online

Passenger Trains > Touring Amtrak Beech Grove

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

Date: 12/20/15 18:34
Touring Amtrak Beech Grove
Author: wheelnrail

On the 20th of December I had the opportunity of a lifetime, by being a part of a 149 member color guard for the Colts/Texans game at Lucas Oil Stadium. Being that I'll be in Indy that Sunday, i figured why not write to Amtrak, and see if I can secure a tour of the Amtrak Beech Grove Shops, I mean whats the worst that could happen if I asked? To my shock and delight, not only did I secure a tour, but It was a one on one private tour with the head man at the facility on his day off. So, the second opportunity of a lifetime came to fruition, and to say I was thrilled to see the inter workings of Amtrak's premier shops was an understatement. The following are just a selection of the many photos I took at the facility, and the different departments we managed to visit. At the end of our visit, he ended up coining me. I cant thank him enough for doing this, it was truly memorable.

#1. God bless our men and women who have served and are serving again at Amtrak.

#2. Our first stop was the diesel shop. In this photo a selection of brand new traction motors were on the shop floor ready to be placed on a P42DC.

#3. Here's another view of the shop floor, more traction motors, and more bogies ready to be assembled.

More...

Date: 12/20/15 18:44
Re: Touring Amtrak Beech Grove

#4. 3 locomotives were down for maintenance at the shop as of 12/20/15, a P42DC, an Amtrak California F59PHI and this beauty, ex F40PH, now a Cab/Baggage car, 90368. Obviously, this one was of most interest to me.

#5. As we headed out the diesel shop and headed to the coach shops, we passed by the famous deadline consisting of Phase IV P40DC's, NPCU's and any other units down for repairs. Here's one of the many I took.

#6. Here a Superliner is in the midst of its Phase II repair. He didn't specify what it was, but did mention a overhaul, so we can assume it was that.

Last few...

Date: 12/20/15 18:56

#7. Here is the forge shop with a bunch of bogies for passenger stock. The cars are at another shop complex, as seen in the next image.

#8. Here several cars are being rebuilt, including 8400, a converted viewliner sleeper, now sleeper/diner. More cars can be seen getting worked on.

#9. Finally, and the unexpected highlight of the trip, was the paint shop. I got to see this P32-BWH being stripped of its Phase IV and getting prepped for its new Phase V paint. I also got to view the actual paint booth where all the different heritage schemes and veterans scheme were made. Oh, and just to let you all know....there was a locomotive in there....and it was being painted....but not in Phase V. They say it should be out "soon". I'll let you speculate on what it may be, but it was a neet preview for me ;)

I should add, all shots were taken on Amtrak property with permission and in full PPE. That should keep the lawyers at bay.

Thanks for looking!

Date: 12/20/15 19:15
Author: stash

A tour of a lifetime. Lucky you. Thanks for the story and photos.

Posted from Android

Date: 12/20/15 19:42

This was the coin. I wasnt aware Amtrak did these, as it more of a military tradition. It's a beautiful coin though!

Date: 12/20/15 20:02
Author: NYC4096

Well done, Mr. Ferran.  Great story and impressive that the boss came out to give you the personal tour.  Wow,  Amtrak 813 needs some sandblasting and paint!

Date: 12/20/15 20:29
Author: CPR_4000

Nice to know that even in this day and age, a courteous letter to a railroad can result in a shop tour!

Date: 12/20/15 20:35
Author: sd24b

What a great experience for you thanks fir sharing, both Railroads I have worked for also do the coin thing, the former was much more serious about it.

Posted from Android

Date: 12/20/15 20:57
Author: wa4umr

Excellent coverage, but you must not have seen everything.  Joking of course.  Reminds me of the video on u-tube.  Go there and search "Beech Grove FEMA camp" if you really want a chuckle or if you want to know what is going on in that place.  Make sure you're sitting down.  How do people think of this stuff.

John

Date: 12/20/15 21:28
Author: The_Chief_Way

What's this about the 8400 being a sleeper/diner?  

Date: 12/20/15 21:50
Author: jp1822

The_Chief_Way Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What's this about the 8400 being a sleeper/diner?
>  
8400 is the existing Viewliner Diner that was restored a few years ago. It's not a sleeper/diner, rather it's a full service diner. Seems to be spending some time here at Beech Grove, rather than out on the rails!

Of the three prototype Viewliners of the late 1980s:

- One is the 8400 - full service diner restored back to operation
- One is in the 10XXX - part of the business fleet that operates as a theater/inspection car
- One is languishing in pieces somewhere either at Wilmington/Bear or Beech Grove. Not operable or used.

Date: 12/20/15 23:38
Author: mp51w

Did you ask him about the retired baggage cars?

Date: 12/21/15 00:47
Author: MartyBernard

I hope you have more to show us.  These are really great.

Marty

Date: 12/21/15 02:58
Author: GP25

wheelnrail Wrote:
> #4. 3 locomotives were down for maintenance at the
> shop as of 12/20/15, a P42DC, an Amtrak California
> F59PHI and this beauty, ex F40PH, now a
> Cab/Baggage car, 90368. Obviously, this one was of
> most interest to me.
>
> #5. As we headed out the diesel shop and headed to
> the coach shops, we passed by the famous deadline
> consisting of Phase IV P40DC's, NPCU's and any
> other units down for repairs. Here's one of the
> many I took.
>
> #6. Here a Superliner is in the midst of its Phase
> II repair. He didn't specify what it was, but did
> mention a overhaul, so we can assume it was that.
>
> Last few...

Behind the Superliner I see a Surfliner Car.

Did you see how many surfliner cars are there?

Jerry Martin
Los Angeles, CA
Central Coast Railroad Festival

Date: 12/21/15 04:26

Given the size of the complex and also the fact he was giving this to me on his day off, we did miss one or two buildings which may have had Surfliner equipment. I was along for the ride and just happy to see anything.

Now, both coach shops I visited Didn't have Surfliner stock, unless you're talking about the ones in phase IV than I'm not sure. There may have been some in the coach yard but nothing being worked on at the moment.

I didn't ask him about the old baggage cars....though I should have. I Should have done a Q&A before I went haha. I'll ask and see what the answer is.

And don't worry, there will be more fresh photos soon.

Posted from Android

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/21/15 04:44 by wheelnrail.

Date: 12/21/15 04:47
Author: RFandPFan

Great photos of a place many of us will never see in person.  Thanks very much for posting these!!!

Date: 12/21/15 06:29
Author: Lackawanna484

RFandPFan Wrote:
> Great photos of a place many of us will never see
> in person.  Thanks very much for posting these!!!

Really enjoyed the tour, and Amtrak's courtesy to the OP

Posted from Android

Date: 12/21/15 07:25
Author: trainjunkie

Wow...great shots. Thanks for sharing these.

Date: 12/21/15 07:33
Author: hsr_fan

Hate seeing those 800 series P40s rusting away while Amtrak claims to have a locomotive shortage!

Date: 12/21/15 07:35
Author: joemvcnj

The P40's are likely the ones that had to surrender replacement trucks to P42's that faulty maintenance ruined.
Amtrak could have bought back the 4 they sold to NJT. They did not. They have since been sold to Conn_DOT.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/21/15 08:03 by joemvcnj.

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0733 seconds