Home Open Account Help 266 users online

Passenger Trains > NEC help.

Date: 02/05/16 18:44
NEC help.
Author: howeld

My family is planning a trip to Washington DC at the beginning of June. It was orgnally a quick trip to see 611 at Manassas but has grown into a multiple day, multiple family excursion to the Nation's Capital.
I am considering taking my son and nephew (both age 5) on a quick out and back ride on the NEC while the rest of the group goes through the museums. Thinking of 30-45 min each way with perhaps a bit of time at a trackside station to watch some trains fly by. Nothing too long so as to loose the attention of a couple of 5 year olds.
Any recommendations would be welcome as I have never been to see the NEC. This would most likely take place on Saturday or Sunday.

Thank you in advance.
Derek

Posted from iPhone

Date: 02/05/16 21:09
Re: NEC help.
Author: norm1153

Probably best to go to the Amtrak website and read the Northeast Corridor Boston -Washington DC schedule.  Just be sure you look at the heading for the applicable day of the week.  Even Saturday only and Sunday Onlly schedules exist, as well as Saturday-Sunday.  It depends a little on the train. 

Boy, I would sure suggest you ride an Acela, that is the 125 mph express train.  From Washington, it might be most exciting to ride up to Philadelphia, although that is a little over an hour each way;  But this would assure that you will experience full speed running. I am not sure if it achieves 125 mph between Washington and Baltimore,which would be the most convenient in terms of time.  Perhaps someone else can confirm it does get up to that speed before Baltimore, in which case sure ride just up to there.

Date: 02/05/16 21:20
Author: The_Chief_Way

Go to BWI station. High speed thru there for trains that don't stop. About the right travel time for you.
You can save money and ride MARC, too.

Date: 02/06/16 04:41
Author: howeld

BWI may have to be it. I was really looking at Aberdeen, Maryland as it looks like a small town with a Pizza place and a small park however it would be a longer layover than I would want with two little boys: 11:26am(train 86) to 4:20pm (train 161)

Posted from iPhone

Date: 02/06/16 05:27
Author: 3rd_Raton

howeld Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> BWI may have to be it. I was really looking at
> Aberdeen, Maryland as it looks like a small town
> with a Pizza place and a small park however it
> would be a longer layover than I would want with
> two little boys: 11:26am(train 86) to 4:20pm
> (train 161)

Back in my younger daze my friends and I would ride Amtrak from Washington up to Aberdeen. There we would have dinner at the New Ideal Diner. Then we would board an evening train back to Washington. Of course those were the days back when I worked for Amtrak so the cost for the train ride was nothing. Unfortunately it appears that the New Ideal Diner is no more -

New Ideal Diner at Aberdeen, MD (Closed)

If you and the kids can make it to Baltimore a good place to eat near the station is "Jays" which is a block south on Charles street. Back when the Baltimore division dispatchers were located on the 2nd floor of Penn station Jays would get a lot of takeout orders from us hungry dispatchers.

Jay"s on Charles street.

BWI station is of course an option for a quick up and back from Dee Cee. However there is no food at the station other than vending machines. Riding the shuttle to the airport (free) isn't really an option as all the food places are on the air side beyond the TSA checkpoints.

Both BWI and Baltimore can be done on MARC which now runs 7 days a week and is cheaper than Amtrak but not as fast.

Date: 02/06/16 08:12
Author: Lurch_in_ABQ

Date: 02/06/16 13:29
Author: Cole42

Lots of eateries in Union Station.  Eat there then take MARC to BWI, you have the long high level platforms on both sides and an enclosed foot bridge over the tracks for different views of the trains (just my suggestion).

Date: 02/06/16 17:05
Author: bigmc83

Living near Aberdeen, I have to say that it's not a bad town to check out however the station is not all that attractive.  Eating wise, there's nothing standout and I don't think downtown has anything very exciting for adults or kids.  BWI is a good place if you just want to get out and watch trains on the overpass.  Also, Baltimore Union Station is a nicely refurbished train station to see.
I have to agree with another poster that if you can make the time, Philadelphia Union Station is one of the most beautifully restored stations on the NEC (if not the country) to check out.  The scenery on the trip is pretty good as well so hopefully attention spans last a little longer.  You cross the Susquehanna river past Aberdeen, and the approach into Wilmington is also a nice view.  Wilmington also has a nice Riverfront that is within walking distance however the train watching may not be as exciting.
Anywhere you decide, you'll have some great passenger train watching opportunities, and just make sure to stand back and hold on if you catch an Amtrak train fly by at 110+mph.  That gets your chest thumping!

Sean McCaffery
Bel Air, MD

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0503 seconds