Home Open Account Help 310 users online

Passenger Trains > Toledo Nights - Capitol Limited

Date: 02/06/16 04:49
Toledo Nights - Capitol Limited
Author: robj

Last Saturday Night(Sunday AM)
After a very nice and well attended slide show at Durand, MI I headed off to Toledo.
Had a few screwups but since the day started at 5:00AM Saturday?????  Did get somethings.

#29 - Toledo, Ohio.   A little early, 5: 20 or so.
1-2-3)  Arriving - Long sweeping platforms from another era.

Bob Jordan

Date: 02/06/16 04:52
Re: Toledo Nights - Capitol Limited

4)     Engine crew change.  long platform continues.  One can only imagine back in the day as the express and mail carts would be on the platform
        What I assume was the old express and mail annex still sits behind me.
5)     Detroit connection bus is at station.  Will not load until after arrival of Lake Shore which was also ontime.  Wonder what they do if on is very late and the other ontime?
       Express facility is behind bus.

Bob

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/06/16 04:54 by robj.

Date: 02/06/16 06:29
Author: bluesboyst

They have enough platforms there just in case more service ever happens...

Date: 02/06/16 08:14
Author: MEKoch

The Grey Dog will invade the Toledo station in the Spring.  So the middle of the night train arrivals may have a Subway to eat at....

Intermodal here we come.

Date: 02/06/16 10:23
Author: teebone

toledo is an interesting town.  their art museum and glass pavilion are worth a trip there alone.  and, there are surprisingly good dining options around.  

Date: 02/06/16 10:36
Author: RuleG

MEKoch Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The Grey Dog will invade the Toledo station in the
> Spring.  So the middle of the night train
> arrivals may have a Subway to eat at....
>
> Intermodal here we come.

"Invade?" 

Three years ago, I rode Amtrak to Toledo and had to take a cab to the Greyhound Terminal.  The Greyhound Terminal was somewhat shabby.  Having Greyhound and Amtrak benefits travelers of both modes.

Date: 02/06/16 14:27

I thought the interior of Amtrak was fine, at least compared to Cleveland which I found not so appealing, not to mention hard to get to.

Bob

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/06/16 14:28 by robj.

Date: 02/06/16 16:58
Author: King_Coal

Nice photos!

Date: 02/06/16 17:17
Author: mp51w

A lot of cities would die for those extra platform covers!
The other tracks are never used!

Date: 02/06/16 19:04
Author: The_Chief_Way

Beautiful shots. I see 29 and 30 are down to being "one-unit wonders" like last winter.

Date: 02/07/16 13:41
Author: CP8888

Awesome to see the 1933 era sweeping canopies still intact.

Date: 02/07/16 17:14
Author: redarrow

The "1933 sweeping canopies" were built in 1950. Toledo was the last large station NYC built and it opened with a great deal of fanfare both by the RR and the city. It replaced a relic that burned but needed to be replaced anyway.
It was remodeled in the late 90s I believe with passenger waiting rooms and ticket  offices being moved to the track level from the 3rd floor which was street level.
I believe the mail and express were handled in an adjacent building just west of the current waiting rooms and main station structure.
I am embarrased to say how much time as a kid I spent hanging around that place to watch the parade of varnish that included the 20th Century and Advance Commodore as well as the Sportsman and Ambassador and B & O`s lineup which included the Ciccinnatian and Night Express.

Date: 02/08/16 21:47
Author: cutboy2

It is   a  great station with  exceptional  employees!!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0491 seconds