Home Open Account Help 346 users online

Passenger Trains > Los Angeles Blue Line to Cruise Terminal

Date: 02/08/16 19:46
Los Angeles Blue Line to Cruise Terminal
Author: Railrev

Has anyone ever used the Blue Line Metro to get to the Carnival Cruise Line terminal in Long Beach.  How close does the Blue Line get to the terminal?    Thanks.

Date: 02/08/16 19:52
Re: Los Angeles Blue Line to Cruise Terminal
Author: CPRR

Can not do it, the line goes no where near either the cruise terminal or the Queen Mary. You would have get a taxi at one of the Blue Line stops, or maybe along Beach has a connecting bus shuttle.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 02/08/16 21:02
Author: GP25

Long Beach Transit has a Bus that service the Queen Mary. 

If you are coming in on Amtrak. Amtrak has a thruway bus that also serves near. where you can connect

Jerry Martin
Los Angeles, CA
Central Coast Railroad Festival

Date: 02/08/16 21:34
Author: F40PHR231

Bus from Blue Line Long Beach station to Queen Mary, done it multiple times I've stayed aboard that beauty.

Date: 02/08/16 21:42
Author: GenePoon

Now, add all the baggage that a typical cruise line passenger brings along.

Date: 02/08/16 23:13
Author: DNRY122

Yes, at some times of the day, trying to board a Blue Line train with more than a carry-on bag might be a challenge.  Back in 2013, I flew back from Chicago, arriving at LAX airport around 4:30PM.  I had no trouble catching a Flyaway bus and taking the non-stop trip to Union Station.  So far so good.  I went up to the Gold Line platform to catch a train to East Pasadena, where my wife would pick me up.  I had to let the first two trains go by, because there was barely room for me, let along my baggage, and just barely fit into the third.

Date: 02/09/16 01:52
Author: mp51w

The Passport bus runs from the Blue Line downtown station to the Queen Mary area.
The Blue line is long ride through some kind of run-down neighborhoods. 
I enjoyed the ride, but I found it kind of a chore.
I wouldn't reccomend it to someone arriving on train #3, when you already tired.
The FlyAway bus to Long Beach leaves from the LAUPT bus plaza.
I would save the Blue line ride for when you don't have a lot of personal items.
If you just want to take a short walk to the Long Beach harbor area,
I included a photo from the pier & lighthouse area showing the Queen Mary & Grand Princess.

Date: 02/09/16 04:31
Author: milkcow

There is a local city bus we have used which leaves from a block away from the Blue Line terminal in Long Beach which goes over the bridges and lets you off at the cruise line terminals at San Pedro.

David

Date: 02/09/16 07:29
Author: czuleget

I went to many Metro meetings and spoke about the issue on no storage for passengers traveling with luggage to the Airport on the light rail trains and the MTA board pretty much ​Ignored what I had to say.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/09/16 07:31 by czuleget.

Date: 02/09/16 08:20
Author: sums007

czuleget Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I went to many Metro meetings and spoke about the
> issue on no storage for passengers traveling with
> luggage to the Airport on the light rail
> trains and the MTA board pretty much ​Ignored
> what I had to say.

The same problem exists in Chicago and Boston on their Blue Lines.  Ditto for Metrorail in Miami.  I suppose there's others as well.

Date: 02/09/16 08:52
Author: mundo

Flyway bus from LAUPT to Long Beach  .?   thats a new one for me.

Date: 02/09/16 12:05
Author: atsf121

czuleget Wrote:
> I went to many Metro meetings and spoke about the
> issue on no storage for passengers traveling with
> luggage to the Airport on the light rail
> trains and the MTA board pretty much ​Ignored
> what I had to say.

It's true of any mass transit connection that I've taken from an airport.  They just expect you to sit on your bags I guess.  I see people on BART lugging multiple suitcases (I did that once when my boys were little, including car seats) and it's a pain when the train gets full.  Even our light rail connection to the Salt Lake airport uses regular equipment so it can get a bit squished.

Nathan

Date: 02/09/16 12:42
Author: webmaster

Use Uber. Put the app on your phone and call a ride. They usually show up within 5 minutes and much cleaner than a Taxi.  Price is normally not bad either.

Todd Clark
Canyon Country, CA
Trainorders.com

Date: 02/09/16 13:58
Author: GenePoon

atsf121 Wrote:

> It's true of any mass transit connection that I've taken from an airport.  They just expect you to
> sit on your bags I guess.  I see people on BART lugging multiple suitcases (I did that once when
> my boys were little, including car seats) and it's a pain when the train gets full.  Even our light
> rail connection to the Salt Lake airport uses regular equipment so it can get a bit squished.
=========================================================

Not all of them.

London Heathrow is better than most.  The Underground cars on that service have extra floor space near
the doors, where you can put your baggage. 

London Gatwick is even better than that, with frequent standard heavy rail service, both through trains
and shuttles, at a dedicated station on airport grounds...no need to do an Oakland Coliseum or Newark
Monorail shuffle if you are arriving at the South Terminal.  The London Gatwick Express operates every
15 minutes nonstop to/from Victoria Station.

I have also had no problem finding seats and luggage storage in Philadelphia on SEPTA's Airport Line,
which is probably because although standard SEPTA cars are used, the consists are longer than
necessary to seat the regular passenger load. The recent isolation of the Airport Line from through operations
to/from stations on the Reading side probably helps manage the Airport service.

Date: 02/09/16 19:28
Author: DonNadeau

The Amtrak Thruway stop in downtown Long Beach is two miles from the Queen Mary - a few minutes by taxi & around a 30-minute walk. 

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/The+Queen+Mary,+Queens+Highway,+Long+Beach,+CA/107+E+1st+St,+Long+Beach,+CA+90802/@33.7597707,-118.2039026,15z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m13!4m12!1m5!1m1!1s0x80dd30d89c406b95:0x55db333697f8fe34!2m2!1d-118.1903235!2d33.7526356!1m5!1m1!1s0x80dd313bdfaa85cf:0xe3a4c7e0da844d8!2m2!1d-118.1901784!2d33.7681194

During WW II my father worked on the Queen Mary in LA or Long beach Harbor converting it to troop transport. 

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/09/16 19:31 by DonNadeau.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0675 seconds