Home Open Account Help 339 users online

Passenger Trains > .

Date: 03/20/16 14:07
Author: F40PHR231

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/19/21 16:22 by F40PHR231.

Date: 03/20/16 14:25
Re: Riding the Zephyr to Utah
Author: joemvcnj

That mulit-modal SLC facility by comparison is quite pathetic. Too bad they could not replicate Denver in the old UP depot. Salt Lake City planners really blew it. Terrible area of town too. Don't even think of walking it after dark. They were better off with Amtrak there with the Greyhound terminal 3 blocks in toward Temple Square as it was in the 1980's.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/20/16 16:07 by joemvcnj.

Date: 03/20/16 15:16
Author: gnfan

Very nice series of photos.  Makes me feel like I were there. 
Thank you.

Date: 03/20/16 16:26
Author: DECA34

Great photos / thanks

Date: 03/20/16 19:35
Author: wa4umr

I've been through there several times but not since the Denver station was completed.  Nice bunch of photos.   If anyone is considering a trip on the Zephyr, this is only a sample of what you just might see.

John

Date: 03/21/16 08:15
Author: co614

Joe is 100% right about the area surrounding the new SLC depot. Don't even think about walking around it day or night as it's the jungle for sure and that's being polite!!!

Ross Rowland

Date: 03/21/16 11:07

It is a long block west of the old D&RGW station. When I was there in 1992, a vagrant whipped out a knife amd slashed a police tape at the depot during the day. If the shelters are still nearby, the area is still very bad.

Date: 03/21/16 19:02
Author: RuleG

It's ridiculous to take one incident from over 20 years ago to make a claim that an area is dangerous today.

During a 2009 visit to Salt Lake City, I was in the area where the Amtrak, Greyound, Front Runner and light rail stations were located.  I was there to railfan as well as ride the commuter and light rail systems.  This was during the day time and early evening.  Not once did I feel unsafe.

I also walked in and around the Rio Grande Depot (location of the Utah Historical Society and a Mexican restaurant) without any problems.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/21/16 19:37 by RuleG.

Date: 03/22/16 06:48

If #5 is on time at 11pm, I suppose you could take Light Rail toward Temple Square. I believe that is within or heads into the free fare zone. If so, anyone or anything can get on and cause trouble. With luggage, call a cab or a hotel shuttle and don't take chances. In 2010, the taxi cost just $6.

Maybe a way to avoid this is to get off at Provo, and head to hotel if possible, assuming that town is safer. Then take a UTA bus or train the next morning.
This area around the SLC depot sounds like Ogden. It was bad when I was first there in 1978 and still was when last there in 1992. But we don't have to go there anymore.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/22/16 07:33 by joemvcnj.

Date: 03/22/16 09:22
Author: reindeerflame

The best approach may be to stay home and not travel anywhere, because the United States is such a dangeous country.  This has the added advantage of avoiding injury from an Amtrak derailment.

Date: 03/22/16 13:18

joemvcnj Wrote:
> This area around the SLC depot sounds like Ogden.
> It was bad when I was first there in 1978 and
> still was when last there in 1992. 

For the record, Ogden is nothing like what it was even ten years ago; the homeless shelter was relocated away from the downtown core, and an injunction went for a few years preventing known gang members from congregating in public. It's a nice place.

Date: 03/22/16 14:49

In 1978, I got off the SFZ at around 1:30am (missed connection to Pioneer, which I was not taking) , and someone gave me a ride in his pickup truck about 10 blocks to a Travelodge. Next day, I just had to sweat out a 10pm Pioneer departure, during which time I took the #70 bus down to SLC and back (45 cents each way). There was some vagrancy downtown, but did not feel unsafe.

In 1979, I got off a Intermountain/Greyhound pool bus around 430am from Idaho Falls, and walked a few blocks to the Amtrak station for #6.
No problem, but I was told later you are lucky you were not mugged.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/22/16 14:49 by joemvcnj.

Date: 03/22/16 20:39
Author: HogheadMike

GREAT pics.  Its dejavu all over again as I am sitting on the westbound #5 just west of soldier summit as we speak.  We hit a large rock in the track and apparently mechanical has to cut off a piece of the snow plow as now hits the crossings when we go over them.  We hit the rock just about 20 minutes west of helper.  Hopefull not too long of a delay.  Its been a beautiful day out here though.  Got on in Denver, getting off in Salt Lake.

Date: 03/22/16 22:09

HogheadMike Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> GREAT pics.  Its dejavu all over again as I am
> sitting on the westbound #5 just west of soldier
> summit as we speak. 

I see you're on the move again, now thru Gilluly. Get much snow across the trip?

Date: 03/23/16 14:40
Author: HogheadMike

Lots of snow on the ground east of Bond, through winter park and to the Moffat Tunnel.  Other than that, spotty snow on the cliffs through to Glenwood and no snow on the desert with the exception of small patches here and there and on distant mountains.  The ski lifts were operating at winter park and still seems to be in full swing.  I am always amazed at the transformation of climate the train sees between Denver and the tunnel.

Date: 03/23/16 15:56
Author: symph1

HogheadMike Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Lots of snow on the ground east of Bond, through
> winter park and to the Moffat Tunnel... The ski lifts were operating
> at winter park and still seems to be in full
> swing.  I am always amazed at the transformation
> of climate the train sees between Denver and the
> tunnel.

Winter Park snow report: 7.50in. 24 Hrs; 285in. Season Total; Snow Base: 80 inches; Base Conditions: Powder

That's where I'll be Saturday and Sunday.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0857 seconds