Home Open Account Help 258 users online

Passenger Trains > Freight Derailment South of Klamath Falls

Current Page:1 of 3

Date: 04/29/16 22:02
Freight Derailment South of Klamath Falls
Author: cityofportland

Stopped in Klamath Falls on #11. Word of freight derailment ahead of us with potential hours delay. Freight there four hours so far.

Just heard talking of bustitution to Sacramento. I am with my three year old grandson on his first trip.

I am not happy being thrown out of my roomette.

Jim

Posted from iPhone

Date: 04/29/16 22:06
Re: Freight Derailment South of Klamath Falls
Author: OTG

http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?1,4019694

North Dunsmuir, about two miles outside the station.  8 cars involved.  Not much can be done in cases like this, it's an inconvenience which nobody can predict or avoid...  "Every trip is an adventure".  Amtrak *USUALLY* takes pretty good care of people during distruptions.  Make sure you get any unused portions of your sleeper accomodation refunded.

TO member "Walstib" is on the train with you somewhere.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/29/16 22:07 by OTG.

Date: 04/29/16 22:45
Author: cityofportland

Yup it is an adventure! I got caught in mudslide closure north of Seattle last month and five hour slide delay on Eb Zephyr in February.

I may have to just fly next time lol!

Posted from iPhone

Date: 04/29/16 23:11
Author: walstib

I just figured out cityofportland and his grandson are in the next roomette.

Small world!

Posted from iPhone

Date: 04/29/16 23:18
Author: TCnR

Is there a way to stay overnight in Klamath Falls and then catch tomorrow's train instead of the Bustitution??

The busses just aren't the same after they retired the Scenicruiser's.

Date: 04/29/16 23:59

We are loaded on the buses now and they tell us we are going to Redding.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 04/30/16 01:32
Author: daniel3197

Very sadly for Amtrak pax this LIVE Amtrak status map shows 
the current location of Train 14--now train 11 in SACRAMENTO as of 1:25 AM PDT (CA time) .
Train 14 -now train 11 was just wyed at Sacramento (Haggin Jct) as of about 1:20AM PDT according to this map
Sacramento CA will be the south end of the disruption now.
http://asm.transitdocs.com/
Redding CA would have been a shorter bus ride but likely due to NO wye track (turning facility) it was rejected as non practical.
http://asm.transitdocs.com/.

------Daniel

Date: 04/30/16 01:39

We are on the bus and as far as we know, we are still going to Redding.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 04/30/16 01:55
Author: F40PHR231

daniel3197 Wrote: 
------------------------------------------------------- 
> Train 14 -now train 11 was just wyed at Sacramento 
> (Haggin Jct) as of about 1:20AM PDT according to 
> this map Sacramento CA will be the south end of the 
> disruption now. Redding CA would have been a shorter bus ride but 
> likely due to NO wye track (turning facility) it 
> was rejected as non practical. 

If they're still going for Redding, it's possible that the northbound train had two units elephant style, and one of them needed to be turned at Haggin so they could run around the train at Redding without having to use a wye.

Date: 04/30/16 02:02

That's very possible.

I can't access the status map on the bus. Can anybody look to see if the train has departed Sacramento yet?

I have a feeling we are going to be waiting for a while once we hit Redding. We are only about 45 miles out now.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 04/30/16 02:02

That's very possible.

I can't access the status map on the bus. Can anybody look to see if the train has departed Sacramento yet?

I have a feeling we are going to be waiting for a while once we hit Redding. We are only about 45 miles out now.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 04/30/16 02:45
Author: F40PHR231

walstib Wrote:
> I can't access the status map on the bus. Can
> anybody look to see if the train has departed
> Sacramento yet?

It's on the move as of 2:44A.

Date: 04/30/16 02:56

Thanks.

We arrived Redding and it's just mass confusion here. Nobody has a clue.

But I figure our train is more than an hour, and probably two hours out, so I'm staying on the warm bus for now.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 04/30/16 03:12

3 a.m. update: We have arrived in Redding and the brave souls among us have retrieved our bags from the bus and made our way from the municipal bus center to down and around to the actual train depot.

Naturally, there is no Amtrak personnel on duty here, and the depot is locked.

The bus drivers seem to be at a loss what to do with the checked baggage that was loaded on the buses. Some people fetched their checked baggage and are now waiting at the train station. Others haven't quite figured out that will likely be their reality, too.

The security guard who hangs overnight at the municipal bus station here in town seems completely perplexed and overwhelmed by the sudden arrival of four bus loads of passengers looking for answers.

It's 3:11 now. I'm thinking the train won't be here until about 5 a.m.

Posted from iPhone

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/30/16 04:57 by walstib.

Date: 04/30/16 03:58

4 a.m. update because there's nothing else to do here in Redding at this hour.

The bus drivers that brought us here have now decided to pull around from the bus station to the train station parking lot so people can wait on the bus until the train gets here after 5 a.m.

Maybe if they had a clue or plan when they got here to go to the train station lot to begin with they would have avoided much confusion. But that didn't happen.

Now that most everyone is off the bus I don't know how many will reboard, but it's an option.

Throughout this whole adventure, which hasn't been too bad, there never seemed to be anyone in charge, or anyone who really knew what was going on.

We'll see what kind of fiasco unfolds once the replacement train actually arrives.

Posted from iPhone

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/30/16 04:00 by walstib.

Date: 04/30/16 04:52

I had a nice chat with the bus driver on whose bus I rode here. Nice older guy from Klamath Falls. He said the original plan was to take us to Sacramento, and he could have gotten us there by 5. But Amtrak changed it up to Redding.

He works for the company who regularly handles Amtrak passengers out of K Falls. He said his favorite run is K Falls to Pasco to take Starlight passengers to the Baby Builder when the Starlight is late. It's too long a day for him to go there and make it back in one shift, so the company pays for him to get a hotel overnight on the return.

Anyway, nice guy. I think I was one of only a few passengers who thanked him for bringing us here.

Meantime, it's now 04:51 and the replacement train left Chico at 04:15, about 70 miles away, so it shouldn't be too much longer.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 04/30/16 05:02
Author: P

cityofportland Wrote:
> Yup it is an adventure! I got caught in mudslide
> closure north of Seattle last month and five hour
> slide delay on Eb Zephyr in February.
>
> I may have to just fly next time lol!
>
> Posted from iPhone

​Sorry about your incredibly bad luck - but please announce here the next time you plan on riding Amtrak so that I can avoid your train!  LOL

Date: 04/30/16 06:13
Author: PC1974

Quote: "...and it's just mass confusion here. Nobody has a clue."

Yeah, and CNOC changed it from Sac to Redding... Jag really does a great job of running CNOC, at least when it's an NEC event.. Right?

Date: 04/30/16 06:17

6 a.m. Update: 14 arrived Redding about 05:50 with an engine on the back end of the train to take us south again. They loaded sleeping car passengers in the Parlour while they clean up the sleepers and get them ready.

I don't know what they're doing with coach passengers or checked luggage. I heard the conductor say he wants to leave after 30 minutes, but it may be longer.

Meantime, the passengers who detrained 14 in Redding are boarding buses for the trip north to K Falls.

It was an exciting night, and waiting in Redding sucked, but it's good to be aboard the train again.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 04/30/16 06:18
Author: bridge22-0196

Amtrak check status finally caught on.  At 6 am it was still saying #11 expected arrival SAC on time at 6:15.  Now (6:18) it says expected arrival 9:10  2 hrs 55 min late.
(but it'll have to leave Redding a.s.a.p. for that to hold)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/30/16 06:25 by bridge22-0196.

Current Page:1 of 3

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0881 seconds